How good are these little handguns?

Info, pictures, advice...
scbackpacker

Post by scbackpacker »

I'm thinking about buying a PA64 and I would like to know how durable are they? How dependable? It won't be my main carry weapon I'll stick with my 3913 but it looks like it may be a fine backup or a quick throw in the pocket gun. Will the metal take a bake on finish? I plan to Norrel coat it which must be cooked on at around 300 deg.
Last edited by scbackpacker on August 2nd, 2006, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

They are great. I've had mine for a year, without a misfeed or jam. I usually buy the cheap ammo at the gun shows. I can't say that about the other semi autos I have. I don't know what Norrel coat is but my brother and I had ours nickel plated and we are very proud of the finish. Somewhere on this forum there is a link to a comparison between the Walther PPK and the P-64. I used to carry a PPK til I bought the P-64. You won't go wrong with this little pistol. Later Don
p64

Post by p64 »

Say what you will but at self defense ranges (30-40 feet) this little pistol makes a gallon milk jug dance around the range, you can hit the jug while it's still moving and I don't practice with it much, not too shabby. Just imagine what you can do with experience and practice
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

scbackpacker,

First of all, welcome, this is a great site and full of info and suggestions on every aspect of the P-64. I have owned up to [4] of them, however, I gave my future son-in-law one after he got his CCW, by the way, he's a nice guy and a keeper. I have to agree with dolang1 and p64, they make a great little CCW gun and they are very accurate. You will hear about the DA pull on the P-64 as being really heavy and so forth and so on, this site has many suggestions as to how to compensate for that, however, I have found that the better you clean them after you receive them and the more you use them the lighter the DA becomes, I have not altered any of mine in anyway except for changing the grips, and there is info on here for that too. Just my 2 cents worth, but there are those on here that are far more experienced than I am on the P-64, hopefully they will chime in and give their opinion also.

Papabear
Last edited by papabear on August 3rd, 2006, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
gunut

Post by gunut »

I will back up P64 on the accuracy part. I was very impressed with it's ability to hit bowling pins @ 25 yds. Mine does not like Wolf ammo. But I just polished the feed ramp and am hoping that will fix any further problems with feeding.

Mine has a nice blue finish, especially for a milserp gun. Get flat grips from Zee and she is a real looker. Feels better with out thumb rest too.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

I don't get to carry my P64 much, but I've been mightly impressed with it--I'm no kind of marksman, but I can make head shots on a police silhouette target at 7-9yards with it--Unless you are a hi-cap aficionado, I don't think you could do much better for a carry gun.
jhm123

Post by jhm123 »

scbackpacker:

Defintely a quality weapon & an even better value. Proper prep work is key to most any finish, but on most of the 64's I've seen, the bluing looks great (my preference in a handgun finish).

Far as the coatings, I've only worked w/ Gun Kote, but so far so good.

JHM
Last edited by jhm123 on August 3rd, 2006, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

but on most of the 64's I've seen, the bluing looks great (my preference in a handgun finish).
Yup, me, too! I've had one of my 1911's DiamondKoted. It looks nice, but I prefer bluing as long as it will last. The blue on both my P-64's is every bit as nice as that on my Browning Hi-Power -- and that's saying a lot!