normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Has any one slugged their bore yet

Post by normsutton »

Got to wondering about the bore diameter on the P-64
so I slugged the bore on my 71

it was .363

from what all I've read if you use jacketed bullets you shoot the diameter of the barrel

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reloading/slug/index.asp

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on August 1st, 2006, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunut

Post by gunut »

Norm,

I imagine you used a pin gauge set and worked your way up to .363"? That works out to .363 inch X 25.4 mm / Inch = 9.22mm.

From what I read the Soviet Block countries did not want the Mak ammo to fit the NATO 9mm guns. Mak is a silly .22mm bigger : )

What you measured is the " minor diameter" of the bore ( top of rifle land to top of rifle land). As opposed to the "major diameter" ( bottom of land to bottom of land).

I have never measured but I think the FMJ bullet will be about .0001" to .00025" larger than the minor diameter of the bore. There has to be an interference fit to impart a spiral to the bullet. Maybe one of our reloaders or a real gunsmith could shed some light as to the proper terms and measuring techniques.
Last edited by gunut on August 2nd, 2006, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

GUNUT

I didn't even know what a pin gauge was till you mention it I don't think I use one those even to measure the chamber I'd pour a cast of the chamber like I have done 25 to 30 times before then mearsure it with new digital calipers or I could use my old set of dial calipers

the 9 mm LUGER diameter is .356 it 's writen on the side of my bullet molds

form VERNON SPEER jacketed bullets .355 for 9 mm LUGER

you didn't read the whole link I posted

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reloading/slug/index.asp

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on August 2nd, 2006, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunut

Post by gunut »

Norm,

That is a good Idea for inspecting bore / chamber size. When I used to work in quality we had a two part goop plastic stuff to make molds and then mic the molds or use an optical comparator to check size. Um I get blocked on a lot of links so I could not read entire post. Iksnay i'm kinda @ worksnay. Comprend'e?? ; ) Kinda surprising that 9 x 19 is only .007" smaller than 9 X 18.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

LOL! I know what you mean, gunnut--Guess I'm not the only one dealing with politically correct filters...
gunut

Post by gunut »

himmel,

Sad part is I laugh at my own stupid jokes. This is a great forum for info. Good group too.

Lucky I was able to get on this forum. I now have a P-64 with 18# hammer spring, Zee grips and a polished feed ramp. Hopefully it will feed wolf now. Still need to try her out at range. The little bugger is super accurate for sure.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

GUNUT

sorry you can't use the link I forget some people can't get access

I can can send it to you in a email if you like

it tell 's how to slug the bore , I have slug most of my military rifles and hand guns to get the right bore size, before I order size dies for paper patch lead bullets , the reason to I have done lots of my camber casting is to have loading dies made on obsolete cartridges and wild cat cartridges
also the reason to slug a gun bore is that to big of a bullet and I don't care if its a name brand bullet could be dangerous for the gun or its owner or someone standing near and it will certainly wear the barrel out

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on August 3rd, 2006, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunut

Post by gunut »

Thanks Norm, I will e mail you. I have not reloaded pistol rounds but I may some day. Gave away a free reloader about 5 years ago. Probably a bad move.
Last edited by gunut on August 4th, 2006, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

going to try and slug the bores on all 7 of my 9 x18 pusher's this week end but might not get to it, there is another gun show this week end in LAKELAND , took change can to the change machine yesterday got $220.00 for it and it's burning a hole in my pocket , have to go and see SHONA ( my favorite dealer) she's got
very good condition CZ-52 for sell .

Cal. 7.62x25

http://www.ssmedwi.com/Pistols%20page%202.htm

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on August 5th, 2006, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I USED A PURE LEAD 375 ROUND BALL

P-64
(69) .363s in. 9.24 mm
(71) .364 in. 9.25 mm
(74) .364s in. 9.26 mm
(76) .365 in. 9.27 mm

PA-63 .364 in. 9.25 mm

Br-61 .365 in. 9.27 mm
.365 in. 9.27 mm

what I found strange is the FEG BR-61's are brand new gun's in fact one of them has not been fired , I keep it in the box it came in

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
918collector

Post by 918collector »

I slugged my Russian Mak a long time ago and found it consistent with what they were saying in the magazines at the time, namely, that the Russian guns tended toward the large side (.365 in think?), with others a couple of thousandths smaller. That would have been Chinese and East German at the time.

Based on this information, I went with unsized cast bullets in the Lee mold and did just fine.

Haven't cast in a LONG time and neither have I slugged the P8=64's bore but when I first test-fired it, I noticed substantially better accuracy than the old Chinese factory loads and don't notice any leading so it must be fine. I just dip-lubed my bullets. I don't size unless I have to.
prometheus

Post by prometheus »

It does not surprise me that the diameter is a bit larger. AK barrels on the average are .311 diameter instead of .308. It has nothing to do with the ammo fitting in NATO rifles, the length of the cases would prevent anybody but the fool hardly to put a 7.62x39 or a 9x18 into a chamber meant for 7.62x51, or 9x19. I believe it's more to do with WARSAW pact standarderization
Last edited by prometheus on January 22nd, 2007, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.