Should have my p-64 by wednsday......

Info, pictures, advice...
ruskiegunlover

Post by ruskiegunlover »

Can't wait. Maybe as late as thursday, but lets hope not.
I've read a lot of these posts, about swapping out the mainspring....I haven't even handled one yet, so I don't know the da pull, but I believe I will hold off. I think the gun is probably most reliable the way it comes, and as this will be a back up ccw, I don't want to mess with reliability issues. Unless it is just unholy....Is it worse then the da pull on a nagant revolver? I have a hard time believeing that people 'can't' pull it. Don't take me the wrong way- to each his own. But I can't help thinking that swapping out parts that, if I understand correctly, weren't even designed for the gun....just doesn't seem like a good idea. I guess I'll see this week. I'll try to get some range time with it before I post with what I've got. By the way, anything I should look for? Flaws, or issues the gun might have?
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

The Nagant I have is better than the P64 as far as the DA pull--but I think my Nagant is marginally better than most in that regard. My P64 WAS "unholy" as far as the DA pull went when I first got it--not just hard, but ridiculous, and gritty to boot--but most of that cleared up after a good cleaning and a little dry-firing. You may need to clean the safety lever too--it was also hard to work until I did that, it's fine now. People with large hands report getting "bitten" by the slide when firing, but I haven't had any problem with that--but recoil is noticeable to say the least. It's still a very accurate gun, tho, for me, and very reliable.
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

A first, my DA pull went beyond 'unholy', it was 'un-possible'! Burrs on the hammer and trigger bar created a solid mechanical stop and something would have snapped before the trigger could have been pulled all the way to the rear. Fortunately, I took it apart, put in a totally weak mainspring and found the snags, before I asked one of my ham-fisted buddies to prove he could pull it and wound up with a seriously broken gun!
ruskiegunlover

Post by ruskiegunlover »

Well, she came in today......
Direct from SOG, one mag, and thats it. But, a very fine example. I do not believe this thing was issued. I did not take the hndpick option either. I like this a lot, and may order a few more in the coming months as an investment, and one as a gift to my father...
Its a 1972, round hammer. It has marking all over it, but I do not know what they mean Anyone deciphered these yet?
The bore is great, and really, overall, I don't think it was issued. I am pumped. Have a nice leather shoulder holster coming from ebay for this........
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

but I believe I will hold off. I think the gun is probably most reliable the way it comes, and as this will be a back up ccw, I don't want to mess with reliability issues. Unless it is just unholy....
The DA trigger is like dragging a concrete block with a string...

But it's very fixable -- fixable with reliability!