Aftermarket magazine

Info, pictures, advice...
wsps1990

Aftermarket magazine

Post by wsps1990 »

Any one purchase an aftermarket off shore magazine from XXXX ? I'm curious of any malfunctions. The break-in stated on the instructions is a little unusual. Anybody bought one of these ?
xdcolorado

Aftermarket magazine

Post by xdcolorado »

I haven't seen any aftermarket magazines, if you know where to find them...let us know. Thanks! I just ordered some original magazines from J&G though.
Last edited by xdcolorado on July 14th, 2009, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
torpeau

Aftermarket magazine

Post by torpeau »

wsps1990 wrote:Any one purchase an aftermarket off shore magazine from XXXX ? I'm curious of any malfunctions. The break-in stated on the instructions is a little unusual. Anybody bought one of these ?
They have worked fine for me.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
mirother

Aftermarket magazine

Post by mirother »

I've had the same experience as torpeau. The instructions are strange, but they seem to work.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Aftermarket magazine

Post by papabear »

wsps1990,

Don't know which aftermarket p-64 mags you are speaking of, but if its from "Keep Shooting.com"I/i] personally I would be leary. I usually don't knock sites, but I'm just not comfortable this this outfit. This is just MHO, but I'd stick with the original mags if at all possible, I believe J&G has the original mags for the same price.
POINT SHOOTER
daytonaknight

Aftermarket magazine

Post by daytonaknight »

I got one of those 'new from a high quality manufacturer' mags in an auction so I don't know the original source. Piece of junk. The opening was smaller than on a good mag and it did nothing but jam. The break in instructions were useless. I was able to make it work after filing it to make the opening match my other mags. I may play with it at the range but no way I'd trust it.
mirother

Aftermarket magazine

Post by mirother »

I know that it is fashionable to knock the aftermarket mags and praise the originals. I do not doubt that this view is based on experience. I have two original Polish mags. Both were jamamatics. All the aftermarket mags that I bought worked well. In fact, I really could not shoot the P-64 without them. I know that not everyone has had that experience, but what I am telling you is true.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Aftermarket magazine

Post by papabear »

mirother,

You make a good point and appreciate your input. Of the 5 P-64's that I have had and I got them from '06 to '07 they all came with 3 original mags and avg cost back then was $139, I put close to 500-600 rds through all of those mags and 1000 or more through some the rest, never a glitch, although I did clean then, soaked them in thinner to get out all the crud, these guns were pack away for years. The originals are easy to take apart and clean and if necessary install new springs and that is a lot cheaper than getting replacement mags IMO.

Papa
POINT SHOOTER
mirother

Aftermarket magazine

Post by mirother »

Papabear,
I do believe that my experience is rare, but it happens. A friend who is a gunsmith tried every trick to make the original mags work, but when I bought the aftermarket mags, the gun worked like a charm. If I were a newbie, I would not take my experience to the bank, but as this thread shows, there has been a great variation of experience in this one issue.
torpeau

Aftermarket magazine

Post by torpeau »

When I grab magazines to take to the range, I never pay any attention to whether they are originals or aftermarkets. Next week I'll be sure to bring two aftermarkets and see what happens. Never had any problem before.
daytonaknight

Aftermarket magazine

Post by daytonaknight »

Looking through previous threads, I found mention of P64 mag differences and jamming:

viewtopic.php?t=2616&start=0#28663

Was there a magazine design change so that mags are not necessarily interchangable between different year models or some year models might handle aftermarket mags without modification while other models may not?
torpeau

Aftermarket magazine

Post by torpeau »

torpeau wrote:Next week I'll be sure to bring two aftermarkets and see what happens. Never had any problem before.
I took two factory mags and two brand new, never used, aftermarket mags to the range this morning. I didn't follow the break-in procedure, just loaded all four with six rounds each.

Not one problem -- total reliability with a box of Silver Bear HPs. I don't like to fire more than 50 rounds at a time thru my P-64s.

It's an indoor range and not well lit. After a box thru that P-64, I put a box thru my RIA 1911. The better sights on the RIA build my confidence after the way I scatter my shots with the P-64. Still, the P-64 is a favorite of mine.
conscript47

Aftermarket magazine

Post by conscript47 »

The mag in my 64 is aftermarket... no problems, even with HP (though I really didn't shoot much HP to test).
scottinillinois

Aftermarket magazine

Post by scottinillinois »

I purchased one of the "break-in required" magazines, and it works fine. It is a little tight going into the gun, but otherwise is OK. However, I would spend $5 more and get an original p-64 magazine because they are much smoother.

Scott
michaelap

Aftermarket magazine

Post by michaelap »

I had trouble with a couple last year I couldn't even make it through all six steps of break in with out getting jammed up. Also cut up my thumb real bad mine came with some sharp edges.
Last edited by michaelap on August 1st, 2009, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.