Ammunition

Info, pictures, advice...
wsps1990

Ammunition

Post by wsps1990 »

I just picked up my first p-64. Any recommendations for range, social work ?
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Ammunition

Post by martilyo »

I use Silver Bear or Brown Bear ball for the range, and JHP for personal protection and I have not had a misfeed or misfire yet. I buy mine from thesportsmansguide.com which sells Brown Bear for $9.47 for 50 rounds.
siafu

Ammunition

Post by siafu »

critter

Ammunition

Post by critter »

I have always had good luck with J&G Sales. :)
popeels09

Ammunition

Post by popeels09 »

I have had good luck with Sellier and Bellot 95 Gr Ball.
xdcolorado

Ammunition

Post by xdcolorado »

Sportsmans guide as mentioned has great prices and quite a lot in stock it seems. I have ordered from them once before (brown bear, silver bear and hornady HP) - good transaction and quick shipping. I have another larger order on the way of Silver Bear.
desertdave

Ammunition

Post by desertdave »

Hi Guys! I like Palmetto State Armory for my Silver Bear FMJ! Priced right and shipping is flat-rate $12/1000 rounds! They have active-inventory control,so if it lets you order it, they have it on the shelf. They plan on carrying Silver Bear HP soon, but here is the link to Silver Bear FMJhttp://www.palmettostatearmory.com/419.php I'm really GLAD I found this Forum!!.....DesertDave :)
desertdave

Ammunition

Post by desertdave »

BTW, I have read a LOT about people not being happy with Wolf FMJ in their P-64's...Is there any kind of poll on that? I have shot a couple boxes w/o incident, but I have heard of, shall we say, "quality control" issues of apparent overloads. I have to say, that while Silver Bear is dirty to handle, (the cases shed grease & zinc, I guess) I get less foo-foo (my technical term) in my gun from Silver Bear than from the lacquered cases of Brown Bear.....Am I alone in this?......Thanks, guys! DesertDave :o
blackblade

Ammunition

Post by blackblade »

I usually buy from three sources:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/ ... 18-makarov

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy ... karov.html

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/ammo-f ... 20666777d5

Fortunately, ammo in this cal. has never been in short supply like popular western ammo. The price has increased about 30% over the last year tho. The FMJ Brown Bear and Silver Bear is good cheap range ammo while I tend to have 95 grain Hornady XTP as my CCW ammo.
Last edited by blackblade on July 14th, 2009, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ogdengunner

Ammunition

Post by ogdengunner »

I passed up some 9x18 ammo today because it was $30/bx of 50. I have other local sources I want to check. Last time I bought Federals they were $24.99, still high but not as bad as today.
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Ammunition

Post by martilyo »

One large gun dealer in Tampa was selling 9x18 for $40 for 50 rounds!
conscript47

Ammunition

Post by conscript47 »

Martilyo wrote:One large gun dealer in Tampa was selling 9x18 for $40 for 50 rounds!

Selling, or just listing? :o

I'd be amazed if they actually sold any!

Thankfully, it is available everywhere online... I have some old Czech (non-corrosive) copper washed ammo, as well as the MKS copper washed stuff in plastic cases with red label... I think I will shoot a little of each through my 64 to see how it does, then go to Brown Bear.

To the original poster, my biggest suggestion is a Wolff gunsprings recoil and hammer spring upgrade... recoil will be less, as will there be less wear on the frame; plus you will get a better double action trigger pull.
Last edited by conscript47 on July 15th, 2009, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ammunition

Post by blinddog »

In Roseburg Oregon the cheapest price in any store for WOLF 9x18 and some are more expensive is $25 bucks and people are buying it up like crazy...me also.
I told an owner I could order some way cheaper on the net and he told me the knock myself.

blinddog
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ammunition

Post by blinddog »

(at the end) to knock myself out.
rottenrick

Ammunition

Post by rottenrick »

Well, you're right you can do better on the internet. Show that 'RICHARDHEAD' a print out from Georgia Arms web site the stuff is reloadable, Speer Gold dots. These guys don't realize people aren't afraid to order off the internet. They are losing a strangle hold. Blinddog there are a couple just like that guy here, don't live in the real world. But, I just took a job in Bainbridge GA. Very nice people, real small town AMERICA, with a town square, band shell, the works. Making the rounds of the local sporting good stores and pawn shops. I found two boxes of Hornady XTP, in two different stores, get this one was $12.00, the other was $17.00. The boxes had dust on them!! The one guy even had 7.62x25 TOK Wolf Gold HP's, bought two boxes of those as well. Had all kinds of Winchester 9x18 MAK , $22.00 FOR 50 RDS. He's the local go to guy. Even the WAL-MART was fully stocked, I was surprized. I'm staying at Lake Seminole in my RV right on the lake until I get my house sold. Life is sweet. There's also a fellow that sells some rare firearms, going there is like being a kid in a toy store at Christmas,but wayout of my price range.