issues during first visit to range

Info, pictures, advice...
csp

Post by csp »

I took my P-64 to the range for the first time last weekend and was a bit disappointed.

I put one box of Sliver Bear FMJ down range and the pistol failed to chamber three times. (no apparent problems ejecting)

Let me supply a little background.

I recently bought the P-64 and it is in excellent+ condition. (I was both please and suprised about the condition)
I thoroughly cleaned and lubricated before taking to the range.

The ammo is cheap and it crossed my mind that it may be the culprit; however I have read an article or tow on line about polishing the feed ramp.

Is this a common that comes with a $130 pistol or can I expect better performance with the proper ammo/modification?

Regards,
CP
Last edited by csp on July 9th, 2009, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stover

Post by stover »

Polishing the feed ramp may help or it may just need to be broken in a little. Personally I don't trust any pistol until I have at least 200 rounds through it.
BTW: I've had $1300.00 pistols that didn't run well out of the box. Most need a break in period at least.
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

I had some initial FTF problems with mine as well. It is not unusual as stover has said, most pistols need some breakin period. Silver Bear and Brown Bear are decent ammo. I have also run Federal American Eagle through mine with no issues. About the only negatives I have heard are never use anything above 95g and do not use Wolf ammo.
protector

Post by protector »

Put 500 rounds through it,these things are tight when new!Then you can evaluate problems if any,and make sure your not(limp wristing)the weapon... ;)
Last edited by protector on July 9th, 2009, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aim small,hit small...
electross

Post by electross »

CSP, Seems odd to have those issues with Silver Bear ammo. Never really had an issue myself with Silver Bear or any other ammo feeding into the P64. Hmmmm. You could of course try and use a dremel tool with some polish on the ramp but before I would try that, did you pull the magazine apart and clean the crud out of it as well? Those things are filthy coming from the distributor. Take it apart completely and scrub the inside with a bore brush and some Remoil. That might help. :)
csp

Post by csp »

Good stuff guys, I appreciate it…
Based on your feedback I am satisfied that the ammo is not part of the problem.

I had not thought to clean the magazine, while I don’t suspect that is the cause; it seems a reasonable trouble shooting step.
Regarding the break in period; I am aware of the need to break in a firearm; however, given this is a used surplus handgun I assume the breaking in would have occurred years ago. But given the surprising, excellent condition breaking it in may be what is needed.

Just an FYI - The pistol shows very little signs of use. The bore looks like a mirror, the bluing shows very little wear near the tip of the barrel (where it might rub going into a holster) springs seem rather tight etc…

I’m going to take everyone’s advice here; clean up my magazines, polish the feed ramp (just because I like to tinker), and I just happen to have another ten boxes of 9x18 so I’ll put those to use too.

Best regards,
protector

Post by protector »

Try cleaning the mags,use oil sparingly on them,clean the gun thoroughly with a good solvent(Hoppes 9, Kroil,Shooters choice,Eds Red,whatever...Take the grips off and spray everything off with a aerosol brake cleaner(wally world) I use CLP,any good gun oil will do. Let the brake cleaner dry before using the CLP,gun oil...dont get any(brake cleaner) on the plastic grips,wipe off the excess CLP,I'll be willing to say this will cure your problems.If you polish the feed ramp,do that (polish only),some take too much off and cause more problems than before they started,the feed ramp angle is crucial to correct function,all you want to do is make it shiny,hope this helps you,keep us posted,If you only have 1 magazine and it continues doing this get a new mag spring from wolff spring and make sure the mag follower moves freely up and down the magazine walls inside and not binding anywhere,also mags need break in too keep the magazine full until your next range session ...regards pro ;)
Last edited by protector on July 10th, 2009, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aim small,hit small...
popeels09

Post by popeels09 »

Does anyone have any evidence to support that most of the pistols with FTF are of the later years that have had little firing, or are they equally spread about between the later years and earlier ones?
csp

Post by csp »

If you are interested in knowing, my pistol is stamped 1964.
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

I have never had a FTF with my P-64s. The one that I have fired the most had it slide get stuck all the way back 2 or 3 times, but that problem has disappeared. From reading about FTFs in 1911s, the magazine is usually the culprit.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
stover

Post by stover »

Mine is a 68 round hammer and I had a few failures to return to battery within the first 50 rounds. It chambered a round but had to give the slide a little nudge to get the round fully into battery. Looking at the wear on the internals of the pistol it is obvious that it had never been fired before I got it. There was no wear on the slide rails prior to my shooting the pistol, only a little holster wear on the front of the slide.
Other than cleaning, I've changed the hammer, recoil and firing pin springs, and polished the feed ramp. It now has about 200 rounds through it and functions flawlessly. I carry the pistol frequently with confidence.

CSP just noticed your Avatar -- Semper Fi Bro!
csp

Post by csp »

I'm pleased to know that it is reasonable for me to expect a high degree of reliability with this P-64. I was concerned that my expectations may have been too high at first.

I missed out on going to the range this weekend, but I have a case of ammo ready to go the next time I have an opportunity.

Semper Fi Stover
desertdave

Post by desertdave »

Hi! My first experience with my P-64, a new, unissued 1977 model, was exemplary. I used Silver Bear FMJ as well as Silver Bear HP intermixed with no problem whatsoever. I was able to get 2 ;D ;Dextra new magazines from Dave Meyer (seattlefungus@covad.net) up in WA state (two new ones for $39 delivered). All four magazines worked perfectly. I did the little break-in drill they called for: load 2 shells, fire them, load 3 shells, fire them, load 4 shells, fire them, etc>>You get the idea<<

Anyway, since I have my CCW, this will be my carry piece. It is reliable and feels great, being STEEL, not plastic! Thank you, Dick Funk, for providing this forum.....DesertDave ;D
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

I have stover's problem with my 1964. I thought I'd cleaned it thoroughly, but I haven't used brake cleaner. Sometimes the last round will stand up (almost vertical) between the mag and the chamber. I've been meaning to do some polishing and serious cleaning. I probably have at least 300 rounds through it.
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

popeels09 wrote:Does anyone have any evidence to support that most of the pistols with FTF are of the later years that have had little firing, or are they equally spread about between the later years and earlier ones?
I haven't heard of that particular problem. My P-64 is stamped 1976 and has not had one problem.