The Buy Sell Trade board

Info, pictures, advice...
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by dfunk »

*Edited*
Please note, the Buy Sell Trade section has been modified to allow only members with a status of <s>Senior Member</s> Member status and above to access it. To achieve this status, one must have a post count of 10 or greater. This section is being polluted with random WTB/WTS posts that aren't being attended to by people we haven't had the opportunity to get to know. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction to remedy this.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email or PM me. Thanks.

-Chris 'df'
Last edited by dfunk on July 7th, 2009, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
popeels09

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by popeels09 »

So does that mean if we want to buy, sell or trade something like mags, springs etc. we email a senior member, they review it and post it for us, or are junior members are forbidden from buying or selling anything at all? I can see firearms or frames with serial numbers being the issue, but all members should be able to buy and sell parts. Perhaps you can split up the buy and sell to a restricted area for firearms and frames limited to senior members, and a general area open for everyone for accessories and the like.
aa080

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by aa080 »

Guess I am done here then. No, it's not the reason I came here, but it sure was helpful. I think you are alienating a lot of people who are new, and/or don't post much.

I came here from a random link off a different gun forum that I frequent. I thought cool, a nice small niche forum to the p64. There's a lot of information here, including the for sale section. Totally blocking it out is silly, at least let people be able to view the threads.
blackblade

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by blackblade »

I've bought a few items from members here already (holster from DF and grips from Zee, etc.). If non-senior members can't view listings that could cut into some members business couldn't it?
lagavulin62

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by lagavulin62 »

I'm not sure what your main beef is here but unless I am mistaken sounds like we have a situation where new members(or somewhat anonymous members) post ads either to buy or sell then do not monitor closely enough. there may even be cases of outright fraud. as I understand this can't be tolerated your solution hardly solves the problem in my opinion. the main reason for a buy/sell board is to provide a medium for commerce and in order to have commerce you need to attract the largest readership as possible. by blocking this area to senior members only you have wiped out a huge population of potential buyers. notice I am emphasizing the buying populace. I don't see much reason for anyone to post wtb ads, they are mostly a waste of space and if someone has something to sell they will usually post. the risk of buying on the internet is dependent on determining the legitimacy of the seller. as such most people will not buy from a seller who has so few posts to verify reputation. since virtually all of the risk is in buying why not allow the site to be viewed by all, even non members, but restrict the posting only to senior members with verifiable reputations. in this way you would be insuring a potential buying population as well as listing sellers that buyers would have confidence in. lastly, not trying to be critical at all just hoping this will be a better solution to all.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by dfunk »

Fellas, I'm in the process of modifying Senior Member and Member status, which is something I did last night but must have not been saved. <s>The new post count for this is 25.</s>
The post count is 10 and is open to rank 'Member' and up.

Go look around in there - there are many posts by people that simply say WTB xyz and that's that - they never get looked after and simply pollute board. These posts are 99% from members who come here specifically to sell their stuff, and who typically have a post count of under 10. Look particularly under the Bartos Stuff For Sale thread - I posted about Bartos' absence, yet we get a new guy that doesn't even read my post ask for things. You can easily find many posts similar to this.

If someone posts something for sale, I want them to be around long enough to answer your questions about their item(s) - don't you? Don't you also want them to be an established member with at least some amount of history here?

Plus, establishing a status with this forum with several posts helps log IP addresses which helps me maintain the security of this place, which is something that I know isn't your concern, but aids me in rectifying issues and determining identity.

I realize that some people come here to sell, and that's it. It's not that I have an issue with this - the issue is that people put a WTB or WTS post in there, and never return. Then, established members post in their threads asking 'how much?' or 'is this still for sale?' and they receive no answer because the original poster never came back.

This forum, as always, is community driven, and if you guys think that this method isn't the right way, I want to hear from you. We're all on the same team, and I'm just trying to stop this absurd amount garbage posts.
Last edited by dfunk on July 7th, 2009, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
oakchas

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by oakchas »

Dick,
I've been lurking here for a little bit and I understand what you are trying to do... Many BBsoftware programs allow an expiration date... "Posts in this section will expire in 30 days" (you can set the time limit 7-10-14, whatever)

I don't know if that is offered through ProBoards or not...

I haven't posted before this... As I'm waiting on my P64s now... but was EXTREMELY glad to find this board.

I don't know if I'll ever need to post on the buy/sell/trade board but if I wanted to buy some new ZEE grips or other accessories... Where else would I look? How would I post a response to something else for sale?

10 seems a reasonable number... but 10 posts are easily made frivolously to reach that mark. I can do that in 5 minutes with cut and paste... an expiration makes more sense to me, if it's available...

Hope that helps...

With sincere thanks for a great and useful board,

Charlie
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by dfunk »

oakchas wrote:Dick,
I've been lurking here for a little bit and I understand what you are trying to do... Many BBsoftware programs allow an expiration date... "Posts in this section will expire in 30 days" (you can set the time limit 7-10-14, whatever)

I don't know if that is offered through ProBoards or not...

I haven't posted before this... As I'm waiting on my P64s now... but was EXTREMELY glad to find this board.

I don't know if I'll ever need to post on the buy/sell/trade board but if I wanted to buy some new ZEE grips or other accessories... Where else would I look? How would I post a response to something else for sale?

10 seems a reasonable number... but 10 posts are easily made frivolously to reach that mark. I can do that in 5 minutes with cut and paste... an expiration makes more sense to me, if it's available...

Hope that helps...

With sincere thanks for a great and useful board,

Charlie
Thanks for the input Charlie. If I had it to do all over again, I certainly wouldn't use Proboards. This place ended up getting so big, that when I was tossing around the notion of migrating, it was quickly shot down due to the fact the Proboards doesn't let you export the database, and everyone would have had to re-register and all old posts entered by hand.

I understand that this is a sensitive area, and am open to other ideas to help keep it legitimate and active. Proboards does not offer an expire function.
stover

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by stover »

The above all sounded reasonable to me. My other favor forum (m1911 Forum) requires 45 post to sell / trade.
I do find it hard to follow my own threads though ... anyway to turn on thread notification by email? I post to and follow threads in a lot of forums, email notifications really help keep track of things.
Not a complaint -- I find this to be the most helpful and friendly gun board out there and do make an extra effort to track threads that interest me.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by normsutton »

I have been on other boards that do the same , I'm for it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
lagavulin62

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by lagavulin62 »

well to rehash my above input, I appreciate what you are trying to do. posting is probably not a big issue for many of us "legit" people, but you should at least make it possible for us to view the stuff for sale. if we see something we want we can pm the seller and he can post himself the SPF if he desires.
pshootr

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by pshootr »

10 posts is a pretty low post count for buying and selling. The Kel-Tec board requires 25 posts. I'm all for it!
popeels09

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by popeels09 »

Sounds fair to me. No one want to look through 100's of dead posts.
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by martilyo »

Dick, I think the buy/sell/trade board should simply have an expiration date. For example, after 60 days the thread is deleted. If an item is stillfor sale, they can easily repost. I don't see the validity of x amount of posts to participate.
Last edited by martilyo on July 7th, 2009, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seldon14

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by seldon14 »

10 seems reasonable. I just want to be able to get some Zee grips soon.