The Buy Sell Trade board

Info, pictures, advice...
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by anjdrifter »

I think there is way too much negative reaction to this adiministrative decision. it is a resonable update to a problem .it is not meant ,I believe to be punitive but helpful to keep order and security and other things in check.
protector

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by protector »

I think its fair, come on 10 posts,if you cant post 10 idea's from that melon you must be trolling anyway... pro ;)
Last edited by protector on July 8th, 2009, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aim small,hit small...
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by dfunk »

Martilyo wrote:Dick, I think the buy/sell/trade board should simply have an expiration date.
Again, this is not a feature I have available to me through this host.

I appreciate all of the feedback - I didn't realize it would cause such a response.
The bottom line is, the Buy Sell Trade section is starting to get out of hand and after analyzing the contributing posts, I've determined that most of them are from people who registered and have less than 10 total posts on this board. Rather than me delete posts I feel are weeds, I've decided to limit it's use to members with 10 or more. If you have a P64 for sale, and it takes you 6 months to sell - fine by me. I just want to know that you're checking up on it and not abandoning your offer.

If you have more ideas, alternatives, or other info to share, by all means do.

Thanks.
hangfire

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by hangfire »

10 posts sounds reasonable to me. As a new member with <10 that will exclude me short term but that's OK, it'll motivate me to get better acquainted with my new P-64 so I can add a (hopefully) worthwhile post from time to time. I appreciate this board as a valuable resource.
torpeau

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by torpeau »

Martilyo wrote:Dick, I think the buy/sell/trade board should simply have an expiration date..
A agree. It would be great if the item would just disappear after some reasonable number of days.

Requiring 10 posts is reasonable. However, as someone who has started and run mail lists for years, I know there are many people who are too shy, afraid of being criticized, not good at writing, etc., etc. who will lurk for months or years and never post a message. Just something to think about.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
impackin

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by impackin »

Requiring 10 posts is reasonable. I have been a member for about 8 months and only have 7 post's. I am learning and haven't felt qualified to post any worthwhile posts. There are a lot of experts on this board and the information they give is priceless. I do look through the Buy,Sell & trade. (Or I use too.) How would, "Have to be a member for a specif amount of time, be for you can post" That way you should eliminate trolling. I know not great information but I only have two more post's too go.
I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy
Sgt P

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by Sgt P »

I also agree that 10 posts should be the minimum and have member status. I basically enrolled in this forum to meet others who like me, like to shoot older Polish pistols and talk about other makarov pistols.

As a new member here, I did not know the rules about posting WTB ads for say used P-64 or mint pistols. This will clear up any misunderstandings and hopefully get rid of some of the excess posts. An expiration date say for 30-40 days would be better for all involved. Like if some members who are military, get deployed, then their posts would be deleted by them before they leave, or deleted when their limit is reached.

Like many of you I wanted to see what was available for P-64 pistols, either in terms of parts, new holsters for individual carry, custom products like grips or accessories. Sgt P.
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by martilyo »

Is there any way to delete the unanswered or very old posts? Is it a time-consuming task?
conscript47

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by conscript47 »

Well that explains it!

I finally got that P-64 I was talking about, that was "broken"... lo and behold, pulling the trigger didn't work because the trigger lever pin was not under part #19, the trigger spring... so the arm was not being pushed up, to contact the sear, to allow the trigger to be pulled. 5 second fix, and it is ready to rock, minus the missing left grip.

I tried to get to Zee's thread to buy some grips, couldn't get there... at least I know he is still around, and I just need to talk more.
ogdengunner

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by ogdengunner »

Lots of good ideas, I am not an expert by any means. Since this board by design is incapable of expiration dates, I guess the only options left open to us that make any sense are the minimum of 10 posts or the email approach. I am active on four other boards and all of them have minimum posting requirements for accessing the want ads sections. And all of them are much higher than 10. One I believe, is 50. I have to say 10 is very reasonable.
nametrux

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by nametrux »

I'm new here but the 10 posts seems to be a good thing.Other boards I belong to have similar rules.
conscript47

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by conscript47 »

What is the e-mail approach? Requiring verified host e-mail addresses? If so, I hope not... the only one of those I have is through college, and I sure as hell don't want "WELCOME TO THE XYZ GUN FORUM" showing up in my inbox. Considering I am undergrad and aiming higher, I don't want to raise eyebrows. Once I'm done with college, then why the hell not.
wsps1990

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by wsps1990 »

Hi Dick,
I can appreciate your intention to cull out the herd, but in the process this will dissuade a new member like myself. I've just acquired my first P-64 . Now in limiting the posts to ten, I've got a little ways to go to be worthy of member buying / selling status. In the meantime, I'm on my own for purchasing parts, accessories or even another P-64. Just for an example, one of the members referrals got me to my first purchase. If I get a lousy break or ripped off, that's just the dues for being a FNG.Think about this, remember when you started out in your career, you couldn't get a job because you had no experience and couldn't get any experience because you didn't have a job, well ? Just my $.02
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by dfunk »

wsps1990,
I understand where you are coming from, as I understand where everyone is coming from. But, if you get ripped off, don't you want a little info about the guy who ripped you off? If he has 1 post on here, I can't give you anything to help you attempt to reconcile things.

Let me explain my options:

I could simply run an admin function to delete threads that are x days old from the Buy Sell Trade section. This would kill threads that have been around for x days, and may still be active - like the thread about Zee's grips for example. I wouldn't want to make Zee re-create his threads all over again and lose all of the posts of pictures that people have put in. Some of the info on this board that is the most valuable is old, and some of it is in areas that make no sense for it to be in, like the BST section. So that option is out.

I can't make them expire. It's not an option given to me my the people at Proboards, and as I've said in the past, is out of my control. If I had to do it over again, I'd host the board myself, but it's not possible, so it is what it is. So, this opton is also out.

The best way I figured I could collect a few different IP's from a user, look back at the their previous posts for some type of history, and allow others to see how often they frequent this forum is to require a variable number of posts. I think 10 is fair, and as others have stated, other boards require significantly more for the same reasons.

I will be going through this section to manually delete threads that are old and obviously dead, but this is as time permits and prefer to prevent it.

I should also note, that Dennis Marchal has his own site, and Zee has been offered, on several different occasions, to sell his grips straight off of the p64resource.com site. You can send him a PM - his username is Zeeborg. We're (finally) selling Norm's springs off of the website, and anyone else that fabricates anything P64 related is, as always, welcome to contact me to sell their goods off of the main site. Chances are, if you want to sell P64 gear off of the site, then you will. My offer has always been good and still stands.
Last edited by dfunk on July 12th, 2009, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
csp

The Buy Sell Trade board

Post by csp »

10 posts seems a reasonable measure to prevent the discussion boards inundated with one-time user “for sale” and “wanted posts”; while at the same time adding a small degree of quality control.

This is, after all, a discussion forum; not Craig’s List.

If you happen to disagree with the policy my best advice would be to individually post ten reasons why you disagree, and then relax because you’ll have just solved your own problem.

By the way this is my tenth post.