hammer-recoil spring

Info, pictures, advice...
bob

hammer-recoil spring

Post by bob »

I recently went back to the original hammer spring but left the 20lb recoil spring in.Will try it this way at the range when I get a chance but do you guys think these two spring combination will effect cycling? My thinking is that the stiffer hamer spring with the 20 may affect the rear movement of the slide.Thanks.
popeels09

hammer-recoil spring

Post by popeels09 »

I guess I missed your original post. What happened when you used the 20# recoil with a light hammer spring? What # hammer spring did you have a problem with. I can't seem to get an answer on here other than "I use this spring with that". I want a solution that works, will save my slide with 95Gr ammo, and not cause mag drops etc. I ordered the 20# recoil and 20# hammer. I figured one notch up on the recoil would be an improvement without excessive forward slam, and one notch down on the hammer would give me a lighter strike/better trigger without compromising mag drop/no primer ignition.

Your thoughts on this combo Bob based on your experiences?????
rottenrick

hammer-recoil spring

Post by rottenrick »

My combination of 20lb. recoil spring and 18lb. hammer spring has created zero problems for me. No mag release, light primer strikes nothing. The combination works finer than frog hair for me. The change to an 18lb. hammer spring was great. The difference was readily apparent and a welcome change from the stock hammerspring. My P-64 is a 1969 round hammer. There may be a difference between the early and later models, every weapon is different. What ever works for you old son, is what I'd go by.
bob

hammer-recoil spring

Post by bob »

Popells09 Iwas using the 20lb recoil with the 18lb hammer and had no problems.However, i felt the sa was to lite.I would occasional set one off sooner then I wanted too.
bob

hammer-recoil spring

Post by bob »

Also there is no definitive answere on what to use.not all guns react the same.People are different also strength,trigger reach,grip etc.It is a process of trying.Many combos work.It is what feels right for you.But as Norm and others have stated nothing lower than an 18lb hammer is recommended.For me the sa was too lite with the 18.
popeels09

hammer-recoil spring

Post by popeels09 »

Thanks for the assurance Bob. I am confident with the 20/20 order I placed. I was concerned with the 22# spring jaming on a lighter load and forward slam. The 20 should be the happy medium. As far as the hammer spring the 20# also looks like a good compromise. Since Wolff does not make the factory 24# I can still reuse the original. The 20# is the next step down, so that should work. They should have made a 22# instead of the ones lighter than 18#. After speaking with Wolf they make an assortment they think will work. GOOD NEWS, the mag spring is due out in the fall.
popeels09

hammer-recoil spring

Post by popeels09 »

Installed the 20# hammer spring today. Posted elsewhere about a problem fitting the recoild spring, but fixed. The 20# hammer spring is a stout DA pull, but much better than the factory 24#. The SA is just right! For my preference I don't think I want to go lighter on the hammer. Off to the range this weekend to run a few mags.