OT Info Needed

Info, pictures, advice...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT Info Needed

Post by abwehr »

AS most of you guys know, I am in Washington State and can't buy pistols here, so I am not looking for another P-64 until I get home again, but I need some info......

I was in a local gun shop last Friday getting some ammo for my .44 Spec. and I asked the shop owner if he had any C&R firearms. He said not much call for that, and I told him I have a C&R license and may be interested in Lugers, P.38s, etc.

He told me that within the past 2 months, the ATF sent him a newsletter/letter, stating that the C&R license cannot be used to buy any handgun that fires current manufacture ammo. I asked if this was a Washington State law and he said NO, for the entire country. I decided not to get into a debate with him since I am from the other side of the country, but have any of you heard anything like this? I did mention that the firearm had to be at least 50 yrs old, rare, etc. but he went and got an old S&W .22 revolver made in the 1890s and told me the old pistol could not be sold using a C&R since it fired the common .22 short round.

Have I missed something somewhere, is the a Washington thing, or is the old guy confused and just paranoid about a C&R license?
alfalfajones

OT Info Needed

Post by alfalfajones »

abwehr,

I believe this man was a little more than confused. Yes he would be correct that he couldn't sell the 22 as a C&R since it was not a military pistol.

I am also a Class 3 licensed holder and I have not received any information on the law stating that they cannot sell any firearm using current production ammo.

You should have questioned him about the CZ52 or The East German Makarov or the Russian Makarov. I can't remember which one qualifies for C&R but they are making new ammo for these guns. It might just be a Washington State law.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT Info Needed

Post by abwehr »

Thanks for the information! I felt that was the case as I had looked at the ATF website and saw NOTHING indicating any chages to the C&R Status.

I did ask him about the P.38, Luger, and other WWII pistols. He said ALL pistols tht fired currently produced ammo were not C&R eligable anymore. I think he was just very confused. I asked if this was particular to Washington State and he said no, the entire US.

If what he said was true, the C&R would be good for nothing. I thought he was very confused and since he was an older guy (ha, I am calling him old and I am 57, but he had to be in his 70s) and probably wanted to stay on the safe side. He was still a very nice man so I could not argue with him, LOL!
mongo

OT Info Needed

Post by mongo »

yup, that guy is just misinformed.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

OT Info Needed

Post by abwehr »

I did not want to argue with him and thought he was wrong! Actually, he only had modern firearms anyway.

I was at another gunshop Friday afternoon and the only C&R they had was a NICE Mauser Broomhandle priced at $2,150. Unfortunantly, I don't know if it was overpriced or not??? Hey, I would rather have a few more P-64s than the Broom.