Proper way to clean and lubricate my P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
dgposton

Post by dgposton »

OK, I just downloaded and read through the P-64 manual. I have it field stripped and have a few questions on how to clean and lubricate it. The manual says to:

"Wipe pistol components and magazine thoroughly with a clean cloth. Swab the bore with cleaning solvent, followed by dry patches..Lightly coat all surfaces of the pistol and magazine with lubricating oil..."

Can you guys elaborate on this? How do you clean in the nooks and crannies without a full disassembly? What is your recommended solvent? Do you suggest I use some kind of solvent in a spray can? A toothbrush? What parts MUST be oiled/greased? What parts SHOULD NOT be oiled/greased? Can I use a copper brush on the barrel?

My only experience cleaning pistols (or guns for that matter) is my Glock 19. I use a Hoppe's cleaning kit with Hoppe's no. 9 solvent and lubricating oil. The Glock only gets 4-5 drops of oil in strategic places (along the 4 slide rails, where the connector rubs, and the surface of the barrel).

Is there a step-by-step guide here (with pics) to cleaning the P-64 while field stripped?

I don't want to mess it up by dunking the whole thing in solvent and/or putting oil in the wrong places.

thanks
David
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

dg, for a new weapon first time cleaning. I remove the grips and use mineral spirits, completely immerse for 24 hrs. Remove scrub with a non-metallic brush, rinse with carb cleaner or PB Blaster. Wipe/spray down, rinse with WD-40. I use compressed gas duster that you would use for a keyboard to remove excess. After that I use a pin point graph to some parts of the trigger group, remove excess. A light almost transparent coat of synthetic oil. I'm going to try 'LUCAS synthetic oil stabilizer, it's real thick, don't need much, thin patina. Clean barrels like you would any other. Don't forget the magazines.
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

I think you need to look at these.
http://p64resource.com/board/P64_Parts_List.pdf
http://p64resource.com/board/P64_Assembly.zip

That should help you. Soaking it can only get it so clean. The best cleaning job is done when the gun is in pieces.

Stuckman.

P.S. here is what is looked like when I torn mine all the way down.
olympus

Post by olympus »

Scrub every part and piece that you can reasonably get to with a nylon brush dripping with a good solvent. Add a little oil to the areas of the slide and frame that are showing wear. Thoroughly coat the gun with RemOil. Put the gun back together and give it another good dose of RemOil and enjoy.