Recommended Cleaners/Lubricants

Info, pictures, advice...
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

Okay,

I am ready to purchase my next P-64 within the next couple of weeks. I have been on several forums including this one looking for general info on cleaning. After I have cleaned the cosmoline off the gun and am ready to reassemble and lube, here is the question.
In your experience, what is the best way to go? At my local gun shop, they have the following:
Militec
Breakfree CLP
Hoppes
and Gunslick.
All look like they will do the job, but as a new user, I am not really sure which one is the best. What is you recommendation?
Any of them, all of them, some or none?

Thanks
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I don't use any special gun oils on my guns,

I field strip them use a pump sprayer and spray them down with WD 40 , use HOPPE'S no. 9 on the bore of the gun or rifle , whip ever thing clean, then whip down with 20W-50 synthetic motor oil , the plastic syringe is filled with synthetic wheel bearing grease, I use that on the rails of my 1911's, MI GARAND's and my SKS's been doing this ever since the synthetic's came out

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

Thanks for the quick reply Norm. I have read good and bad comments on WD40. I never thought about sythetic motor oil. And from what I have been reading, Hoppes looks like the winner for bore cleaner.
siafu

Post by siafu »

While I stay away from WD-40 as a lubricant, I don't have any problems using it as a water displacing agent. After my bleuing job last week I had to rinse the slide with cold water and after I was done I saturated it with WD-40 to get out any water that was hiding in there. As a lubricant it has tendency to dry and leave a gummy film. I think this is because it is made with rendered animal by-products. :-/

I use motor oil and synthetic bearing grease too. And of course what bench would be complete without a big-gulp sized bottle of Hoppes #9? 8-)

Thanks for all your helpful information Norm. ;)
Last edited by siafu on May 24th, 2009, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

I usually use CLP and haven't had any troubles.
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

I used to buy all those so called NAME BRAND gun cleaning products. Then one day when I was using some bore cleaner I noticed it smelled just like one of my favorite products. PB Blaster. http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=4 I cleaned all the crap, cosmo and everything else outta my P64 along with my other guns. Then I use Lucas Oil Gun oil. I like how it stays where you put it but never seems to dry up. http://www.autobarn.net/lucasgunoil.html. I get both at my local Oreilly auto parts store. Yup even the gun oil they carry the full Lucas line.

Stuckman
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I've used Lucas products for years, mostly oil, gas additives. Yes the oil does stay where you put it, just hadn't thought about using it on weapons.
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

Thanks for all the great advise. I never realized so many common everyday items could be used for gun care. That sure makes it easier and less expensive than looking for gun care specific products.
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

rottenrick wrote:I've used Lucas products for years, mostly oil, gas additives. Yes the oil does stay where you put it, just hadn't thought about using it on weapons.

I'm not using Lucas Oil I'm using Lucas Oil branded Gun oil.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I know, went to the website for the offered product , couldn't find product. Then Googled Lucas gunoil it came up. Went to Napa, and the others here locally they don't carry it. So, I'll order on the internet. But the regular Lucas products work great, don't have any reason why it wouldn't work on guns. I've been using full synthetic for years Castrol, and Mobil one, and Lucas in different types of vehicles.
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will see if I can find Lucas gun oil here in the Ogden area. With all the gun shops and dealers between here and SLC, I probably will not have much of an issue finding it.