second thoughts

Info, pictures, advice...
bob

second thoughts

Post by bob »

Rottenrick offered Siafu his 19lb hammer spring and I put in dibbs for it if he did not want.But he did.Being the rotten guy Rick is he said I colud have the 20lb spring.I took him up on it.I thought I would mention this first because of his nice gesture.Now the reason I wanted the heavier spring is because of the real lite sa my 18lb caused.At different range sessions out of 100 rounds or so I would always have one or two go off a little sooner then I wanted.This bothered me a little.Not a big deal at the range but if I was in a real life defensive situation could I control that trigger in all the confusion? Maybe I have to push my wife out of the way after a shot was fired.maybe I moving with the gun in my hand.Will I be thinking take finger off trigeer? I don't really know.My other guns like my xd are not so sensitive.Never had a problem even double tapping.I only noticed a slight difference on sa with the 20lb.Because of this I may go back to the orig spring even though I may have to use this gun in sa only.I could not break trigger in da on mine.Sorry so long but I thought this to be very important.Thanks :-/
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

second thoughts

Post by dfunk »

I recommend everyone shot several hundred rounds through it stock - then make the change if you decide to go that route. I find nothing wrong with the one I carry, and it's 100% and there are many like it. Most people forget that shooting it changes certain qualities.
ogdengunner

second thoughts

Post by ogdengunner »

I have to agree with dickfunk. I have put fifty rounds through mine and am going back to the range today to fire some more through it. I toyed with the idea of making changes but have decided that this is a great gun as is. I can leave with the trigger pull. I can use a different gun for my primary carry piece if need be.
bob

second thoughts

Post by bob »

A really strange thing happened.For the fun of it I put the orig hammer spring back in and although still somewhat stiff I can break it now.What is strange is I have not gotten any stronger and I have loosened up guns in the past by just shooting them but none have had such a dramatic difference as this one.When I tell you I could not break the trigger when I first got it is no exaggeration.In my wildest dreams I would have never thought it could become manageable in da the way it has.I guess you live and learn. ???
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

second thoughts

Post by dfunk »

Could have been dirty (they should be 100% stripped before shooting anyway). I've left mine stock from day 1 and it works 100% - 100% of the time. The only issue I have is some holster wear. Still love it though.

papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

second thoughts

Post by papabear »

+2 with Dick, I have not changed a thing on any of my P-64's except the grips, added both Zee and Dennis grips, the more I shoot em the better they get.

BTW, nice photo's Dick...... ;D
POINT SHOOTER
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

second thoughts

Post by dfunk »

papabear wrote:BTW, nice photo's Dick...... ;D
Thanks, Papa - finally scored a new camera...went the dslr route.
ogdengunner

second thoughts

Post by ogdengunner »

I also fire mine stock, no mods. I have been able to fire DA since I got it, but that first pull, wow! I have put about 75 rounds through it now and in that little bit of firing, it has loosened up quite a bit.
lagavulin62

second thoughts

Post by lagavulin62 »

I am pretty much a leave it alone type of guy. but that da pull, was almost impossible for me so changed to 18lb and so much better. but I have left the original recoil spring on as I don't really think the recoil is that big a deal. bob that is interesting about the original now being manageable with originally it was not. I may have to try that myself since I have thoroghly cleaned the gun. I have heard the round hammer guns are easier with the stock springs as compared to the triangle hammer guns. I keep putting off buying my 2nd p64 because of other guns I want(and need. hehe) well I do need that cz82, and tomorrow picking up a 586-1. oh yeah, I enjoy guns.
bob

second thoughts

Post by bob »

lagavulin,I must admit I did not give the orig hammer spring much of a try.It sounds as bad as yours was.I could not break it.I went to the 18lb right away and since then must be over 300 rounds thru it.I did give a thorough soaking and lube(more so then other guns) before ever firing it and have always cleaned and lubed after shooting sessions.What I find strange is that I have not been working the orig spring.It must be other parts that have loosened up.Anybody have any ideas about this?
ipsd

second thoughts

Post by ipsd »

When I first got mine. The DA trigger pull was almost impossible. I took it home stripped it down and cleaned the crap out of it. I even polished out the bump that has in the trigger bar. It was a lot easier and smoother after that still with the stock springs. Maybe it was that Lucas Gun Oil! LOL I like the heavy DA pull if you can't do it maybe you shouldn't be shooting. Well at least it keeps it so the kids wouldn't be able to work it just in case that were to ever happen.

Stuckman
michaelap

second thoughts

Post by michaelap »

The gun should be left as, period! I have never changed anything on a springfield or a taurus or anything else. Maybe I am a bit of a purist but c'mon if one doesn't like it or can't handle it move on, it's not like there aren't other guns out there! Exception--grips If it is tough then get better and tame it don't make it weaker! and then think youre better because you put in a softer spring. I don't want to offend this is how I feel.
hairypolack

second thoughts

Post by hairypolack »

dickfunk wrote:Could have been dirty (they should be 100% stripped before shooting anyway). I've left mine stock from day 1 and it works 100% - 100% of the time. The only issue I have is some holster wear. Still love it though.

nice pictures!
bob

second thoughts

Post by bob »

Michaelap,I agree with you and no offense taken.However,it is obvious some guns are worse than others in the da mode. I was not the only one that tried it.Better shooters than me had a tough time.
rick9plus

second thoughts

Post by rick9plus »

I don't think being a "better shooter" has much to do with being able to squeeze that stiff DA trigger. It has more to do with having an index finger like a rock climber!

When I first got my P-64, I could barely pull DA (and I DO have an index finger like a rock climber!) After thorough cleaning and lubing, I have found that DA is MUCH easier to pull. I am able to keep the muzzle on target, rather than lifting it while struggling, like before. No need for new springs in my P-64.