Is the Recoil Really that BAD??

Info, pictures, advice...
nala

Post by nala »

Hey all,

I just learned about the P64 and after checking into it a bit I became interested in it. I have a Bulgy Mak that I have had for a while. I also have a PPK/s and a Bersa Thunder 380. I like the little guys....

Anyway, the price of the P64 is attractive, no doubt. When I started checking into it I started seeing all these posts and threads on other boards about how horrendous or painful the recoil is on this little pistol. I found it unusual because the P64 weighs a decent amount, probably over 20 ounces, so you'd think that the recoil would be tamed a bit by the weight. Shooting the other pistols I have has never bothered me at all.

So I came here to learn more about this little pistol. I would be using it as a CCW pistol for summer carry. It's either the P64, a J frame 638, a Kel-Tec 380 or one of the Kel-Tec 9mm pistols.

What can you tell me about it's recoil? I know its a subjective thing so I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences with it. Is there anything that can be done to lessen the felt recoil like changing springs or adding a rubber grip sleeve?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and advice.

Thanks for the help and your time.

BD
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

I honestly do not thing the recoil is that bad. I think if you are used to shooting handguns alot you won't mind it. Maybe a new shooter would be surprised at the P-64's snap. It is a small gun. All small guns with similar calibers will have a robust recoil. It's just physics. I think an airweight snub nosed 38 has more recoil than the P-64.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

dont think it is all that bad after the first outing ,yes it was a big surprise but now dont even consider it at all. like redfiesta said all little guns let you know you have fired em I shot the new ruger in 380 the other day and it bit me the first few rounds...
electross

Post by electross »

No, its not that bad. As a CCW its nearly perfect in size. Its not my choice to shoot 200 rounds out of without a break but practice with twenty to fifty rounds is certainly not that bad. Get one, if you don't like it, you can usually re-sell and not be out any money. Have fun.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

nala,

Let me pipe in on this, my answer is "NO", it ain't that bad, as the others have mentioned, I've never had a issue with the recoil, actual or perceived, there will be others I'm sure that will disagree and some in the middle of the road on this issue, some have changed the springs to lighten the recoil etc etc etc, but for a CCW pistol its ideal and you get as much or more pop with the P-64 as the ones you mentioned above, and since you are familiar with the Makarov in 9x18 then you know what you get with a 95gr 9x18 round and the P-64 can hold its own in accuracy with the Makarov IMHO, at least it does for me, I have a Bulgarian and E. German Mak and I shoot my P-64's more than I do the Mak's. Let me also add that on this board we plenty of good advice here from several members and have someone in Norm that can answer any questions you might have with the mechanical aspects of the P-64. If you decide to purchase a P-64 hope you find a good deal and then let us see what you got with photo's and let us know what you think of the P-64.
POINT SHOOTER
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

Welcome, nala

I have 2 of the P-64s. I put the Wolff 20 lb. recoil spring in each. I have never had a moments trouble with either of mine. I have 2 FEG PA-63's, 4 Makarovs, a CZ82 and various "modern" handguns. I shoot the P-64 pistols more than all the others combined. For me, they are extremely accurate. I don't carry them all the time because I don't have a tuckable IWB holster for them. I love the 9x18 caliber and the P-64 is the perfect size for concealment. I have no problem with the recoil, but I never fired it with the stock recoil springs in. I do recommend a Wolf hammer spring. Without digging through my paperwork, I couldn't tell you what poundage I put in.
I also carry a S&W 642 at times. I can tell you that the recoil on the 642 is much worse than the recoil of the P-64. It is not possible IMHO to be as accurate with the 642 and there are fewer rounds available.
nala, I do not think you can go wrong with the P-64. If it doesn't float your boat, it's easy to sell!
Good luck!
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

I think too some of the concern has been with the grip hold around the top. some people have to watch it or they might get pinched by the slide. other than that if you have a nice firm hold then it's really not that big a deal after the first shot or two. my vote is to buy, buy, buy.
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

At first, I did have a little trouble with recoil, but I did find that putting a slip on grip helped me lots and now it's not that hard to handle at all. Just practice and it will become second nature.

Also, you must buy P64. And get it at J&G sales.
jpnjross

Post by jpnjross »

I ran a few rounds through my brothers p-64 a couple of weeks ago the recoil isn't bad just a bit snappy if you will until you know what to expect. I shot it after shooting my cz-82. I like them both and have my eyes on a p-64 now for c/c. New to the handgunning hobby but found it to be a whole lot of fun.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Welcome Nala, +1
guydeloimbard

Post by guydeloimbard »

I'd say it's really that bad. It's the only pistol I have so far that bruises my hand. Mine has stock springs still. I've gotten used to it, but I still don't like to shoot more than 25 or so out of it at a time.
nala

Post by nala »

Hey all,

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I am still thinking about getting one. Mine would be used for CCW in the summer.

I would think that the recoil wouldn't be that bad considering the weight of the pistol. It isn't a lightweight is it? From what I have read it is over 20 ounces.

I have a Bersa 380, a PPK/s and a Bulgarian Makarov. I like that size and style of handgun. None of them bother me at all with the recoil. This P64 is a different beast I guess. I have also thought about getting one of the PA-63 makarovs or a CZ.

So many guns....so little money....:(

Thanks again.

BD
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

nala,
Welcome aboard.
Go ahead and get a P-64. I rather doubt you will regret it.
For those that have never experienced recoil more severe than handling a soup spoon, these guns might be intimidating.
For those with handgun experience these guns are not an issue.
I have large hands, my girlfriend small hands and we both enjoy shooting the P-64.
With original or replacement recoil springs they are acceptable.
This reminds me of the "common knowledge" that very few people can effectively shoot a 1911 because of the excessive recoil of the 45 ACP cartridge.
With your current collection, I'd advise adding a PA-63 and a CZ82.
Have fun.
Dave
guydeloimbard

Post by guydeloimbard »

The P-64 weighs in at 22.something ounces unloaded, but keep in mind that it's a blowback operated pistol and not a locked breech mechanism.
My mother has a Bersa .380, so I have a little bit of experience with that too. I'd say that the P-64 is quite a bit more abrupt and forceful than the Bersa. Still, this does not mean that I don't enjoy it. I enjoy it greatly :D It's lightweight and small, I enjoy carrying it, I enjoy shooting it, and I enjoy impressing people at the range with it with it's amazing accuracy, 25lb DA trigger, 3lb SA trigger, and uncharacteristically violent recoil. I just have to quit and go back to something softer after about 5 mags of shooting at the range, personally. That's my own weakness. I just need to shoot it more so I can build up some thicker skin on the web of my hand :D
scottinillinois

Post by scottinillinois »

I am a new P-64 owner, received mine just 3 days ago from J&G. I took it out for a test, as is, without changing any of the springs. The DA, as EVERYONE states, was a bit silly - pull pull, grunt, sweat...<Bang>, but far off of target. Then I took aim again in SA mode. Wow, what a difference! All 5 shots went exactly where I wanted them - I shot better with this gun than I have with any of my other pistols. The recoil, in my opinion, was not bad at all. It is a bit zippy, but was not painful or uncomfortable.

I completely disassembled the gun using the guide from this site (took me all day, but if I had to do it again, it would go very quickly) and put on the 19# wolf hammer spring. DA still a bit tough, but personally, I like the sound the gun makes when I pull back the hammer - "CLICK", so unless I find myself in an emergency situation, the manual hammer pull and SA is great.