Forum supporter

AimSurplus has 94-grain Silver Bear JHP

Post by nbender »

bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

Thanks for the heads up. Nailed some down!
mongo

Post by mongo »

Looks like Barnal in a nickle case
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

Whee! Got me a case!
amd6547

Post by amd6547 »

Can't wait to hear what kind of velocity that 95 gets, given the numbers on the silver bear 115...
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

Case on it's way........

Thanks for the heads up.

Price on 9mm is pretty good, got a bunch of that too.
steve98664

Post by steve98664 »

Nbender,

Thanks for the heads up on this. I got my order and tried it out this week. I tried it out on my CZ82 1st because for me, it generally tells me how a round is going to do in my 9x18 pistols. My P64 is a bit more picky about what it'll feed and my Mak is less picky than my CZ82 or P64. I picked up the new silver bear FMJ and the HP.

94g Silver Bear is hotter than S&B as a comparison that I performed at the range. Actually, I heard that the new silver bear ammo is RAM repackaged. I believe this because my old silver bear was nickel plated, but the new silver bear is zinc coated just like my old boxes of RAM. The new silver bear boxes and cardboard seperations in the box are very, very similar to my old RAM which I still have 1/2 case of. The new Silver Bear FMJ and HP have the Barnaul mark vice the LVE mark of the old Silver Bear which I have part of a box left.

I like the new silver bear projectiles better than the old RAM HP because the hole is just a bit smaller, feeding the rounds better for me. I will probably test out the new silver bear HP in my Mak, P64 and Vanad over the next few weeks. The Silver Bear FMJ is exactly like the old RAM, except that the red seal is missing on FMJ and HP where the projectile is inserted.

I went through about 150 rounds of the new silver bear HP to test it in my CZ82. It is pretty good, very accurate. Feeds well, but dirty as crap so when I ran 350 rounds at the range (RAM, new silver bear HP, new silver bear FMJ, and S&B), the rounds actually got kinda sticky in my mags after about 150-200 of the 350 rounds. I usually don't use more than 2 or 3 boxes of ammo at a time per pistol. I'm picky about maintenance so I usually do a full clean each time with mags included.

I will try out the ammo on my P64 over the next few weeks though I have always expected that I'll just run FMJ through my P64. The projectiles will probably feed ok in the P64 because the tip is rounded better as I mentioned above. This ammo may change my FMJ rule for my P64!

I'm very happy with the new Silver Bear JHP. I put in an order for some more!

I would like to hear if someone does an expansion test on this round. I would like to do it, but haven't tried it before. I might be able to try a wet newspack type of test. I dunno about jugs of water for this type of test. No ballistic gel lying around either....

The box has the address www.bearammo.com but it looks like that goes straight to http://www.dkgtrading.com/bearammo/

The new rounds aren't shown on their website yet! It still lists only 115g silver bear HP.
Last edited by steve98664 on August 4th, 2006, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

I, too, noticed the different manufacturer's mark. Thanks for the feedback about the performance of the new 95gr Silver Bear. I think the bullet is shaped better, also. I've relegated all the old 115gr Silver Bear HPs to my Maks and CZ 82s and will use the 95gr Silver Bear in my P-64s. I haven't been able to get out shooting for weeks. I got a couple of the CZ 82s since I've been out. How do you find the accuracy and operation of the 82?
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

My CZ82 is very accurate and the recoil is better than my Mak and of course my P-64.

Hey, this is the P64 forum so I will say that I like many things about my P64, but the size and the like-new quality in addition to the reliable operation for me with FMJ are the highlights to me.
I've been wanting to get a CZ-82 for some time now. It's bigger than pocket-size, but it holds a dozen rounds and has ambidextrous safeties.

Whooo Haw! A cocked and locked 9x18! And made by CZ!
onapar

Post by onapar »

Got my CZ-82 and you got to like it. This makes my fourth 9x18
I won't stop till the money runs out or I can't take the wifes bitchin any more.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

As always, I post chrony results through a Makarov barrel and post on Gunboards:

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.a ... _ID=177781

But that's hopefully not to distract in any way from this forum. This place is my second post. Great group of people here, and I love the pistol. I began posting on the Mak forum before it reformed as the current Mak forum, and I bought my P-64 years later. The tests through my Bulgarian Mak hopefully serve as a reference for performance for P-64 shooters as well.

Steve, I don't think this is the RAM bullet re-packaged, it has a smaller HP opening. But I'm outta town and brought the RAM FMJ for comparison by mistake. Silver Bear 94-grain HP looks like the former Barnaul bullet, from my memory. It's good quality, albeit a bit slower.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

When I try the above link all I get is "Server not found."
I guess they must be "down." I get the same when I try www.gunboards.com too.
Last edited by pshootr on August 10th, 2006, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

PshootR, I just clicked on nbender's link with my Mozilla browser, and it came right up.
You might try again, or go to another browser.
Stan
steve98664

Post by steve98664 »

Nbender,

You are 100% correct! This is not the old RAM repackaged, well not the HP stuff anyhow. The new silver bear FMJ does look like the old RAM FMJ except there is no red seal between the casing and projectile. The Barnaul mark, the zinc coating and the packaging make me think that new Silver Bear FMJ is almost exactly the same. The box is actually a little bit different than the RAM FMJ I still have, but just slightly in the dimension and the thumb cut out on the box. Silver Bear used to have the plastic bullet rack in the box.

The HP looks close to the RAM FMJ and HP, however, you are very correct that the HP hole is smaller. I have a couple rounds of the old RAM HP and it was a much larger hole. Here is a link to some measurements I made. I didn't take them all in a standard way. I was trying to figure out why some ammo, regardless of quality components feeds better than others.

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?ac ... 1154820433

I guess I still see this as RAM ammo repackaged, although the HP projectile is different.

Was it you or someone else that pointed out that RAM and Silver Bear/Brown Bear companies are really just companies that buy from the russian factories? I thought of the name on the box and the factory of manufacture as fixed, but apparantly they just purchase and resell. RAM ammo doesn't have to be from Barnaul, Silver Bear doesn't have to be from LVE.

I am used to Barnaul being RAM ammo, I guess!

Nothing is too fixed with the Russian ammo, I guess. It reminds me of the Winchester 9x18 that is being sold with the Czech country label on the box. Ammo salesmen at our local gun show mentioned that this is really S&B ammo repackaged as Winchester!

Gold Bear ammo is more expensive for that line, but I found out that their 32ACP is really just Partizan, in a Gold Bear package. Gunshow sales guys confirmed this too. Note the country of manufacture if you look at the link below. There is only one Serbian ammo factory, I am told.

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/pricelist_32.htm
Last edited by steve98664 on August 11th, 2006, 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve, you make pretty comprehensive replies!

I don't think this ammo has much in common with RAM.

The Winchester 9x18 is made by S&B, but from what I've seen the Winchester has better quality control - but by a small margin that doesn't really matter.

No, nothing is fixed with Russian ammo. This latest incarnation is sold through the "Russian Cartridge Plants Association", which I think is an export outfit that makes the neccessary arrangements required to bribe the bullets out of the country. It is good to see that Barnaul won the bid, or bought the arrangement, to produce Silver Bear.