New guy here with questions....

Info, pictures, advice...
ruskiegunlover

Post by ruskiegunlover »

Think I'm going to order one tommarow. What are the issues the gun has? I have heard many talk about 'issues' with these, that generally go away with break in. I like the design, already own a bulgy, and can't wait to get my hands on one. Also, who has extra mags? I intend for this to be my back up concealed carry piece......
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

The biggest fault most folks discuss is the double action trigger pull which is in the 22-23 lb range. Personally, I shoot single action so this does not bother me much. There is an easy fix to this by replacing a spring with a 16# or 18# Wollf spring and the DA is improved. The poles actually designed the pistol with this heavy pull to make sure the ammo used in subguns would fire in the pistol.

The other part is to CLEAN ALL the shipping oil as it is a preservative only and not a lubricant. Clean and lube well, then take shooting. The safety sometime can be aggrevating as the assembly folks would crimp the detent spring. This is not common, but does happen. The fix is to remove the safety lever and reposition the spring. Again, sometime the safety detent needs to be rounded off a little so it operates smoothly.

Other than these issues, the pistol is excellent! It is probably the most accurate pocket pistol I have seen, I think you will like it! As with most new pistols, a break in period is needed to smooth out the machining marks.
ruskiegunlover

Post by ruskiegunlover »

well, didn't get it ordered today, as the ffl I go through's license expired, and he is going to fax it to them tommarow. But, hopefully, I can order it monday, and have it by wednsday or thursday.....
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

I bought an extra mag about a month ago on ebay. It was $14.00 delivered or there abouts. Later Don
Saigafan308

Re: New guy here with questions....

Post by Saigafan308 »

So I bought one of these at a gun show, and I like it, shot great until the last round. Upon firing the last round the slide shot off. What causes this? I'm thinking it's a magazine issue, but I want to be certain before I go modifying, or ordering new ones, and yes it was inspected, and cleaned before firing. Any ideas? Could it be the spring?
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Saigafan308 wrote: April 15th, 2019, 2:37 pm So I bought one of these at a gun show, and I like it, shot great until the last round. Upon firing the last round the slide shot off. What causes this? I'm thinking it's a magazine issue, but I want to be certain before I go modifying, or ordering new ones, and yes it was inspected, and cleaned before firing. Any ideas? Could it be the spring?
Could be you jerked the Trigger Guard down when it recoiled. Or you broke the Trigger Guard. Those are the only two ways that would happen. But maybe if you want more help start a new thread with a title pertinent to your issue. The help you get here will be minimal sitting in an unrelated thread.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

That is probably the last round hold open feature. Most semi-auto pistols have that. The slide locks back when the magazine is empty. you drop the empty mag, lock a fresh mag in the well, pull the slide back and release it. You are then ready to resume firing.
Some pistols have a slide release. The P-64 does not and therefor the slide must be pulled back and released to resume firing.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 on the trigger guard, check for damage.

Welcome to the forum
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Yes, checked the trigger guard for damage and do not shoot it again until doing so.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
BlackhawkR3

Post by BlackhawkR3 »

On the "heavy double action trigger", I think there's a chance of increasing the "slamming" effect of the slide if you just replace the hammer spring (which seems to solve the heavy double action issue), and do not replace the recoil spring with a heavier one. At the moment of firing, the recoil spring and the hammer spring both resist slide movement; If you use a heavier recoil spring and lighter hammer spring, slide operation should be about the same, but with lighter double action pull. (Yes, this will make the slide a bit less fun to draw back). Have fun with these. Mine have given great service (use the best ammo you can find), and are surprisingly accurate. For CCW you might still be able to find a Bianchi Executive shoulder holster, which will conceal well under a loose fitting shirt.
mb3

Post by mb3 »

Maby I dont understand what the OP is saying but how is it possible for a P64 slide to fly off the front of the gun? The slide releases to the rear, after releasing the trigger guard?
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

mb3 wrote: January 11th, 2020, 5:14 pm Maby I dont understand what the OP is saying but how is it possible for a P64 slide to fly off the front of the gun? The slide releases to the rear, after releasing the trigger guard?
No, No it does not release to the rear. After releasing the Trigger Guard, it will go far enough back that you can lift it up off the Rails, then it does release off the Barrel to the FRONT.

Now as I have already mentioned in reply to Saigafan308 (NOT the OP); Two things causing misplacement of the Trigger Guard could have caused this. This was NOT related to the OP's post in any way so I suggested that Saigafan308 start a new thread about this problem.

But since you asked; When the Trigger Guard is not in proper placement, while firing the Slide could recoil back to the point it will lift off the Rails (because the Trigger Guard is not there to stop it). Then once the Slide lifts off the Rails, it will spring forward, and go flying off the Frame.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
mb3

Post by mb3 »

Thank you for clearing that up for me. Now I get it, wasnt sure the slide could move far enough back against the recoil spring for the it to clear the frame rails.