Which Hammer Spring are you running?

Info, pictures, advice...
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

Ok, so just like the title says. If you have changed your hammer spring to one of the Wolff springs, which one did you end up going with and why? Has anyone personally had any negative effects with one of these springs (IE light strikes, mag drops, etc...)? I have the three pack from Wolff and obviously the 18# spring feels the best but I would like to hear what you have in yours. Mine is for everyday carry so I don't want to suddenly find that I get light strikes a when I most need it.
John has a long mustache
siafu

Post by siafu »

I intend to use the Wolff 18 pounder when it arrives. I hope there aren't any negative consequences.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

siafu, Like it's been said: "Every gun is different". But I haven't had any problems yet. Did you get the spring multi-pack? I thought I got the 17,18,19 lb. springs, actually got the 18,19,20 lb. combo. After you change it out, if you have problems I'll send you a 19 or 20 which ever you prefer(I won't need it) No sense in you paying for one while mine gathers dust. Just let me know
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I use the 18# spring in all 4 of my guns , I don't shoot steel ammo in my guns, so I don't have problems with light strikes

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
james832

Post by james832 »

Has anyone measured the weight of the double action trigger after the hammer spring change? I helped measure one with a 19# spring and it was still heavy at 24.5 pounds.
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

I use the 18lb because it was the lightest recommended spring. on my next one will probably stick the 19lb on since I don't want to order one tiny spring from wolf.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

I just decided to stick with the 19lb spring since this is my carry gun. I really couldn't tell much of a difference between the 18 and 19 anyway.
John has a long mustache
rfaudree

Post by rfaudree »

I use the one that came on gun.I shoot it today.Its a 1971 when i got it, it looked unfired and new.when i mesured trigger pull it was a hair over 22.after 50 rounds of siverb every shoot db, i decoked every time it got a little rough on the last 2 mags.i found i had to wait and relax and then bang.there were several times on the last 2 mags that i coundnt pull it till i waited and relaxed then thought in my mind if my life depended on it i had to pull the trigger.i found that i could pull it if i had to after relax then sqezz as hard as i could.overall i had a good shoot.did about 1050 rounds with my partner.I am posting pics of the shoot some where.I plane on getting all springs and testing all with at least 1000 rounds.i will let everyone know what happens.this is a good topic and we need to find out whats going on.wont carry untill i know.
retiredfireguy

Post by retiredfireguy »

I put an 18-lb Wolff hammer spring in both my P-64's. Made a great difference in the DA pull. And so far, there have been no light strikes.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

retiredfireguy wrote:I put an 18-lb Wolff hammer spring in both my P-64's. Made a great difference in the DA pull. And so far, there have been no light strikes.
What ammo do you normally shoot?
John has a long mustache
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Anything I can get as long as it's not wolf.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Looks like I'm the only one running the 20# so far. I run with it because I like the stiffer D/A as an extra safety, and yet I can easily pull thru it. I could barely pull thru mine in factory sprung mode. That is all in regards to my 1974 which is pretty much my daily carry in the pocket. I've also got a 1972 that I've only changed the recoil to a 22# and been running the factory hammer and I've never had a problem with pulling thru on it.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I received my springs before I received the pistol. I checked the trigger pull several times, decided most everyone was right about the springs. I changed the recoil and hammerspring out during the initial cleaning. To me the the change was for the good. I went with the 20 and 18lb. springs respectively. The only reason I didn't go with the 22lb. is I personally don't like to grind on things, unless I know what I'm doing. Maybe I'll do a 22lb later. I'm satisfied as it is right now.
jeff

Post by jeff »

I just got my P-64 last week and put in the 17lb hammer spring with the 22lb recoil spring. I've run one box of Wolf steel case through it without any problems.
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

When I ordered springs, I got the hammer spring kit consisting of the 18, 19 and 20. I ordered both a 20 and 22 lb recoil spring at the same time.
The 18 lb hammer spring and 20 lb recoil spring went into the '71 model.
The 19 lb hammer spring and 22 lb recoil spring went into the '76 model.
They both work without any issues with a variety of ammo.
The 20 lb recoil spring makes cocking and disassembly / reassembly more pleasant than the 22 lb.
If I could only run one combination it would likely be the 19 lb hammer spring with the 20 lb recoil spring.