My new P64

Info, pictures, advice...
siafu

My new P64

Post by siafu »

I just picked it up from my FFL guy. 1971. Feels tight and fresh but has wear on bluing but metal is smooth and no dings or dents. I suspect a little 0000 steel wool and a bottle of cold bluing will have me ready for the beauty pageant in no time. Action is smooth as butter. Ordered from Center Fire Systems. $149

Placed an order for a second one to J&G which should be in by next week. I asked J&G to cherry pick me a nice fresh one. We shall see...

Last edited by siafu on April 29th, 2009, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

My new P64

Post by normsutton »

siafu
nice looking P-64
one problem and you are not the only one doing it . when you upload your pix to http://s56.photobucket.com/

please upload them at (max image size: 640 x 480 ) then I won't have to ask to resize them to 640 x 480 or I might have to delete the pix's, it makes it more enjoyable to look at
so could you resize the pix
we like a lot of pix on the P-64 forum at the right size

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
siafu

My new P64

Post by siafu »

Sorry Norm. Done. Thanks for the great P64 resource. I look forward to getting some trigger time and a few goodies for the new pistol.

I ordered the Wolff spring kit (recoil and hammer) and will use this page to walk me through the mod. :P
rottenrick

My new P64

Post by rottenrick »

Siafu, trust me Norms procedures are the best, well thought out. Nothing to worry about, wear eye protection (springs). Hammer spring maybe 15 mins max, recoil spring even less time. Everyone is helpful, without attitudes, a breath of fresh air. If you stumble, some's there to help. Welcome. R/R
jbabbler

My new P64

Post by jbabbler »

Nice looking gun Siafu.
Siafu and I are regulars over at Steyrclub.com and are starting an uprising. We all love our steyr pistols but you just can't beat the size and price of the P64 for every day carry. I have a Steyr S9 that I have been carrying. It is the same size as a Glock 26. The P64 is so much thinner that I no longer find myself leaving home unarmed.

John has a long mustache
rottenrick

My new P64

Post by rottenrick »

You could do a lot worse than join the P-64 tribe. I don't know what it would look like if this group had a full scale uprising and left the reservation. I recon it could get ugly.
amd6547

My new P64

Post by amd6547 »

Personally, I like the "used" look on that P64...I wouldn't change a thing. For one, you won't have to worry about carry wear you inflict. Second, you pull that on a bad guy, he's gonna see an experienced piece, not just some "pretty boy" pistol bought at the gun boutique.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

My new P64

Post by normsutton »

siafu
THANKS

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
siafu

My new P64

Post by siafu »

Can I fire Wolf ammo in this gun? I got all excited when I got 11 boxes of Wolf for $9 each. Now I am up to my ears in steel cased ammo. Can I shoot it without concern? What are the issues associated with it? Thanks.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

My new P64

Post by normsutton »

siafu
I wouldn't,
stuck bullets in the barrel, burnt firing pin's. blow out extractors , its your gun , but remember there are no parts for these guns

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
jbabbler

My new P64

Post by jbabbler »

I bought 6 boxes of barnaul from Graf & sons. It was a little more but I have heard nothing but good things about it. The good news on the Wolf ammo is that you can probably sell it for what you paid for it on GB.
John has a long mustache
ipsd

My new P64

Post by ipsd »

I fired 100rnds of wolf steel case in my P64 and not a problem. Not saying that the WOLF is the greatest just that it worked for me. What else was I to do was waiting on reloading press and the wolf was all I could get my hand on besides some Steel core I found. Bought the steel core just hanging onto it for a rainy day. Work good steel cases and all just wish it was accurate and clean like my hand loads.
siafu

My new P64

Post by siafu »

When these were in service with the Polish did they use brass case ammo? Didn't the Soviets use steel case ammo?

There are absolutely NO parts?! None? Zilch? Zero? I know I didn't spend much but I thought there would be some parts should the need arise. Now you got me all concerned because I want to blast a few Wolf rounds I don't want to compromise the integrity of the pistol.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

My new P64

Post by normsutton »

ipsd

there is no such thing as steel core 9 x 18 ammo all Russian and Chineas ammo uses a steel case and a steel jacket lead core , no steel core

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

My new P64

Post by normsutton »

siafu

as of right now there are no parts maybe later

NORM