My new P64

Info, pictures, advice...
lagavulin62

My new P64

Post by lagavulin62 »

amd6547 wrote:Personally, I like the "used" look on that P64...I wouldn't change a thing. For one, you won't have to worry about carry wear you inflict. Second, you pull that on a bad guy, he's gonna see an experienced piece, not just some "pretty boy" pistol bought at the gun boutique.

yes and I should mention for the guys that the last time some guy pulled a loaded p64 on me there was just enough light in that dark deserted alley that I was able to spot the pristine blueing evident throughout the gun, including right at the muzzle. how could I not see that, that dang thing couldn't have been more than 6 inches from my face. it was at this point that for the bad guy the jig was up. I just grinned and walked away, parting with a "dude put that boutique special back where it belongs". ....... moral....... don't ever become the victim of disrespect in a dark alley, leave that blueing alone.
polypet

My new P64

Post by polypet »

amd6547 wrote:Personally, I like the "used" look on that P64...I wouldn't change a thing. For one, you won't have to worry about carry wear you inflict. Second, you pull that on a bad guy, he's gonna see an experienced piece, not just some "pretty boy" pistol bought at the gun boutique.
I don't know about that. If someone pulled a gun on me, the last thing on my mind would be to examine whether the bluing of the gun is pristine or not.
ipsd

My new P64

Post by ipsd »

NORMSUTTON wrote:ipsd

there is no such thing as steel core 9 x 18 ammo all Russian and Chineas ammo uses a steel case and a steel jacket lead core , no steel core

NORM
That is all to funny you say that. I read over at makarov.com that they made it. So I cut the Bullet apart on some recovered ones I shot. The were copper jacketed, lead, then hardened steel in the middle. These come in a small white box with only 16rnds in each box. The box says 16 rounds 9x18 Makarov Made in Russia. On the back is says Keep out of reach of children/100gr FMJ / Non corrosive primer/imported by B-WEST inc. / Made at the TULA CARTRIDGE WORKS RUSSIA/ If that is not a steel core in there then that is some HARDENED lead in there.

here are some pics of this stuff.

And you can see in this pic that the lead is on the outside and something very hard was in the center. The dremel cuts through that lead quick that hard center it didn't want to cut at all.

Stuckman
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

My new P64

Post by normsutton »

Stuckman

all I see is 2 pieces of steel jacket and 3 pieces of lead

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
stover

My new P64

Post by stover »

Some of the Chinese 9x18 is steel core.

http://www.makarov.com/norinco.html

don't know of any Russian.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

My new P64

Post by normsutton »

stover

that was some of the first 9 x 18 ammo brought into this country , I think who ever wrote it up, all he did was put a magnet on it and it stuck to the copper plated steel jacket,

there was some 762 x 39 that had steel core and that's pricey stuff right now and it was Chinese not Russian

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
ipsd

My new P64

Post by ipsd »

NORMSUTTON wrote:Stuckman

all I see is 2 pieces of steel jacket and 3 pieces of lead

NORM
The jacket portion is copper and is not in the pic. the lead is on the left and that chunk on the right is the steel or hardened metal. If you look at the pics of steel core over a makarov.com here is a link to the pic they show of the steel core russian Ammo. http://makarov.com/graphics/makbullt.jpg If you compare them you will see that the shape of the hardened piece looks just like what I got on inside the bullet and not cut out.

Stuckman
Last edited by ipsd on May 1st, 2009, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
rottenrick

My new P64

Post by rottenrick »

Hmm........... You can see the shape molded to the inside of the lead. ipsd have you tried a magnet?? Should tell you for sure, if you can take pics of it sticking to magnet, should end all doubt. Good on ya'
rottenrick

My new P64

Post by rottenrick »

IPSD, Should have specified putting a magnet on the harded inside piece. What real reason would they have for an AP PISTOL ROUND?? If it was 7.62x25, I might understand, even a standard military round, is high speed enough to defeat level II body armour.
ipsd

My new P64

Post by ipsd »

rottenrick wrote:Hmm........... You can see the shape molded to the inside of the lead. ipsd have you tried a magnet?? Should tell you for sure, if you can take pics of it sticking to magnet, should end all doubt. Good on ya'
Yes I seen that shape even with my held in a vice grip hack open with a Dremel and cutting disc. I did take a magnet to it and yes it sticks. I'll have to dig up the pieces and get some pics for you guys. Once I found out it was steel core I stocked up bought 40bxs at 3.49/bx thought that was a deal.

Stuckman
rfaudree

My new P64

Post by rfaudree »

ispd,cut one in half take a pic of both halves open then get to the inner and take a magnet to em and take a pic of that,It would be nice to have those pics for the forum.Also take better pics of box.Thanks,Robert
retiredfireguy

My new P64

Post by retiredfireguy »

Hey...J&G has a COMPLETE parts kit for $159.95. You get one of everything. And the price is even cheaper if you buy in quantity.
:)
rfaudree

My new P64

Post by rfaudree »

Parts kit for what
davebaird

My new P64

Post by davebaird »

I know the Chinese made steel core ammo for rifles, but don't know for sure if the Russians did. BUT, it sounds convincing maybe they did for the Sketchkin full-auto assault pistol, also in 9x18. I bet since that pistol is now retired from front line service, this ammo is surplus, originally for the Sketchkin.

As far as steel core for self-defense-use in a handgun, I would prefer an expanding slug stopping and thus delivering the complete energy in the target as opposed to a bullet quite possibly going all the way through the target. When the target is up close and personal in a self-defense (handgun) situation, I want it stopped not just hit. That's just my opinion only.

Dave
ipsd

My new P64

Post by ipsd »

I didn't dig up those pieces yet and don't really want to pull a live round to cut one. If it is steel core kinda would like to preserve it. I only fired it before I cut the first ones apart and found the hard steel in there. Yeah I stocked up cause it was cheap and easy. I now reload my own and use the Hornady XTP bullets for my self defense loads. But I did get out my real camera and got a better pic of the box and the ammo.

Hope that is nice a clear so you can read the whole thing. Looked good to me.

Stuckman