Centerfire delivered mine today

Info, pictures, advice...
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

Well my local shop called me today to let me know that they had received my Centerfire delivery. I couldn't be more pleased with the P64 and it's a 1971 model... just like me : )

So... I brought her home and cleaned her inside and out. The bluing is a little worn on the slide but the barrel looks to be unfired and the feed ramp is still blued w/o a scratch on it. The entire gun is still very tight and none of the internal parts show any sign of wear. So, aside from the slight holster wear, it looks and feels like a new gun. I need to get her to the range to put a few hundred rounds into a steel plate. I can already tell I'm going to want to put the lighter 18# Wolff hammer spring on it as the double action is extremely heavy. The single action is so light that it almost feels like a custom trigger job. It's lighter than any SA pull I've ever felt.

Anyway, here's a few shots of her. I can see why the P64 makes a great carry gun. This gun is thinner than my Kel Tec Pf9 ever thought of being. I'll be getting some new wood grips for her in the next few weeks as well.

Last edited by jbabbler on April 17th, 2009, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
John has a long mustache
tman11787

Post by tman11787 »

What brand of ammo do you have there? Please post details of how well it shoots in the new piece. Thanks !

PS -- Condition is very similar to the 1969 model I just received from J&G...I'm happy with mine as well !
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

jbabbler

welcome
very nice pix , and we do love pix here ,do make sure you take gun apart and clean it before you ever go shoot it,

tman11787

welcome

we have loads of info on this board pages and pages
and not only on the P-64

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dusty62

Post by dusty62 »

Very nice pic. You'll be happy with her, I'm sure. I'm trying to decide how to best divide up my summer hours here in the U.P. Shooting, golf, camping, fishing . . . so much to do, so little time! At least three out of the 4 can involve my P64! Not too sure the local golf nuts would appreciate this novice duffer walking around the course with a sidearm. LOL Don't have my concealed yet and they get so annoyed when you exercise your constitutional right and carry one fully exposed! LOL But I'll be no one would ever bother me about wanting to play through 'cuz I was too slow walking the course! :) Anyway, have a lot of fun with her. She's a great little gun.

dus'
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Sounds a lot like mine. There is some wear on the firing pin mounting assy. but not much. There was holster wear along the slide. But, it kind'a looks like it was touched up. You can't really see it until you get it in the sun light. All in all, a good investment. When you change the springs to 18lbs. you feel the difference. It only took 10 mins to change the hammerspring. From grips-off, to grips-on, 10 mikes. Hell, I felt like I could cure cancer(the feeling has since worn-off). Enjoy!
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

Thanks for the replies. The ammo is Hornady. I have yet to buy any target rounds since the prices seem to vary greatly from place to place. The local Army Navy store apparently has a pretty good deal I just need to get over there.

I found this interesting... I had a leather Don Hume IWB holster that I used when I had my PF9 and I put the P64 in it last night. It was actually too big for the 38 year old steel gun. This is a very very thin gun. What grips do you guys reccommend? I want wood grips but don't want to add too much thickness to the grip.
John has a long mustache
polypet

Post by polypet »

Does yours feed HP rounds? Mine jams on the feed ramp so I have FMJ in my magazine. My HP ammo is Silver Bear (I use it in my CZ-82 without problem).
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

I have only hand cycled it so far. I cycled two magazines through it by hand and it fed smoothly. I then ejected a round then slowly lowered the slide until it touched the next round it would feed then let it go and it fed in as smooth as silk. I have experienced feed issues before on my Kahr POS and it would jam in this way. The P64 seems like it will feed anything so far. Only test firing will tell though.

On your's I would consider slightly reshaping the edge of the feed ramp to keep the lip of the HP from snagging on it.
John has a long mustache
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I do not recommend reshaping of any kind on these guns just high shine polishing of the feed ramps

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

Norm,

Would you not advocate reshaping if the lower edge of the ramp is snagging? I would think rounding the edge or giving it a slightly sharper angle would solve the feed problem. I know that many guns with a shorter ramp can benefit from an increased angle or rounded edge.
Thanks
Jim
John has a long mustache
polypet

Post by polypet »

The HP gets stuck on the upper side of the feed ramp - since the bullet is not round, it cannot slide into the barrel after it's pushed out of the magazine at that angle.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

Hmm, in that instance would you recommend Pow'rball ammo instead? I just picked up some 70gr Pow'rball to try out.
John has a long mustache
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

nice gun. clean her up real good before you go to the range.