recoil info-come on, put in your 2 cents

Info, pictures, advice...
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

Just for my two cents, I have fired about 100 rounds through mine and yes, there is quite a bit of recoil, but I am going to leave mine stock for a while just to see what happens after another couple hundred rounds or so.
gomerspile

Post by gomerspile »

Who needs new springs, rack the slide and shoot single action. You shouldn't carry it with one in the tube anyways, so ends the DA issues and SA trigger pull is almost too light. Recoil is less than a 38 in a 2+" revolver and not as snappy as everyone complains about. Remember you are throwing out a decent sized chunk of lead from a small package, what do you expect a 22's recoil?
Oh yeah, sorry to anyone with big hands you have a legitimate gripe, keep your web low.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

gomerspile wrote:You shouldn't carry it with one in the tube anyways
I couldn't agree less and have been trained to know better. If you've got some issues with carrying anything hot, you should seek some good training before you even start carrying. My $.02

My hand gets beat up after a couple hundred - more on my middle finger by the trigger guard than anything else.
popeels09

Post by popeels09 »

Rfaudree, My gal carries a P-64. She likes the feel, fit and does not mind the recoil. She knows HOW to operate it, but can't physically pull the slide back. I don't see her having to do a tactical reload. She carries it loaded with the safety on. She can pull through the 20# hammer spring easily enough, but is not too accurate in the D/A mode. So even if the 1st shot is wasted she has 6 more to put downrange in smooth S/A. I have taught her to empty the gun into the target, so decocking is not an issue. She has tried "J" frame S&W's and most small .380 - 9MM semis. She like the P-64 above all else including the Kel Tec PF9. She says she likes the balance of the all steel pistol and the fit of the grip in her small hands. She also like the PPK feel, but I owned one in 1989 that was a Jam-O-Matic. Would never buy a new PPK again, perhaps the old milsurp in .32 is better. I think the P-64 is a much better gun once resprung IMHO.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I shoot factory springs in both my P-64's and in my PA-63. I have dennis grips on them. But to help recoil, all I do is squeeze the grip like I can choke it to death. Works for me. ;D
siafu

Post by siafu »

Both my P64's are bone-stock and I really don't think the recoil is all that harsh. I usually start my range session with a magazine from my Glock 27 so anything after that is like a walk in the park.
paddlingman

Post by paddlingman »

popeels09- " Would never buy a new PPK again, perhaps the old milsurp in .32 is better."

For what it's worth, I had a milsurp PP in .32. The finish was poor due to a sloppy refinish from a previous owner. Still, I never suffered from the "PP bite" and it was an easy and accurate gun to shoot. It never held a useful place in the collection other than as a safe/range piece (not that there is anything wrong with that) but I traded it for something I wanted much more.

I doubt I would spend the money on one again, but I appreciate them and wouldn't reject one outright like it was a Jennings/Bryco either. ;)

I had aftermarket grips in addition to the original.

norsk

Post by norsk »

I installed a 22# recoil spring, and a 18# hammer spring in my P64. Shoots great. Very accurate little pistol. Had a SIG 232 before, but I like the P64 more. Smaller pistol with more bite with the 9x18 ammo.

Worst kicking gun I have ever owned was a 5-shot snub-nose Taurus 357 mag. The P64 is nothing in comparison.