New P-64 Owner

Info, pictures, advice...
pshootr

New P-64 Owner

Post by pshootr »

Just got my first ever P-64 from T.G. Imports, 1650 Latham Road, Unit #31, West Palm Beach, Florida 33409 at the Melbourne gun show in Melbourne, Florida. I had been on the lookout for a rounded hammer P-64 but all I had encountered until today were the later triangular hammer version, and either prices were high or condition was poor. My new baby looks to be new and cost me only $149 plus tax and $5 background check. On the downside it came with only one mag, and dealer didn't have any spares. He had both round and triangular hammer versions in stock, so I picked out the best one I could find. D/A trigger pull seems to be less than on the 3 or 4 triangular hammer ones that I've tried. Safety was really stiff at first, so I don't think it had been shot much (or at all?), but it loosened up some with use. Haven't shot it yet but I hope to get the 16# mainspring and stronger recoil spring from Wolff. Hope they have a kit purpose made for the P-64 by now, or at least soon. I could actually live with the stock springs. Dry-firing it was not that bad D/A. I actually joined this group over 6 months ago in anticipation of finding the P-64 I wanted. Some groups just consist of a bunch of jerks who want to argue endlessly with each other and post off topic drivel on every subject you can imagine. This seems like a friendly bunch of folks who are really into guns.
pshootr

New P-64 Owner

Post by pshootr »

Sorry for not signing my first post to the list. Thought I had auto signature set. Evidently I don't. Just call me "PshootR".
Best,
PshootR
b52stan

New P-64 Owner

Post by b52stan »

PshootR, sounds like you got a good one. What year is it, and which left grip does it have?
pshootr

New P-64 Owner

Post by pshootr »

Date is 1971 on right front of slide. Left grip panel is finger rest type. :( I shot about 90 rounds of Russkie ammo thru it today at a public outdoor range in Volusia county, Florida. It was 95 and 100 gr. fmj and jhp. No Brown or Silver Bear 115 or 120gr. First I polished the front of the hammer between the two notches, the single action notch and the safety notch to mirror smoothness, then I polished the hammer strut and the inside of the hammer spring, and left out the washer from the top of the hammer spring. Trigger pull ended up glass smooth and surprisingly light. :-/ At the range the pistol fed and ejected perfectly, but on double action shooting there was about 1 in 3 failure to fire (FTF). This was with the Russian ammo that was Berdan primed. Single action ignition was 100%. :D Some of the FTF's would fire on a second or third double action strike, but others required me to thumb cock the P-64 for a single action shot before they would fire. I will try to find some American 9x18 ammo as soon as I have the time.

Unfortunately both grip panels developed hairline cracks during the shooting. I noticed this cleaning the gun at home afterward. So I guess I'll need some wood grips. I found that the finger rest on the magazine tends to try to force three of my rather large fingers onto a grip really better sized for two. I would cut the projection off but hate to start chopping up a milsurp pistol unless I can first get a replacement part so as to be able to later restore it to original condition if I so wish.

PshootR
b52stan

New P-64 Owner

Post by b52stan »

Many here have great replacement grips made by Zeborg(geospacesr@hotmail.com) that are top notch and reasonable. He does the original flat grips in solid colors, camo, two color swirl, etc..
You can find many pictures by reviewing older threads. You may have to look under items for sale.
gunut

New P-64 Owner

Post by gunut »

Welcom PshootR,

This is a great forum. I cracked my left grip panel after about 200+ rounds of Wolf, Winchester, S&B...... Just put on new grips from Zee. I have not shot it yet but the flat panel feels much better and if you have big hands it should be better yet.

I was looking to buy a place off of LPGA Blvd. by Daytona. Just love it down by the beach. I backed out when price was raised, oh well there is something to be said for walleye fishing by the Lake Erie islands. Love my new boat.