Ammo choices: Silver Bear 94 gr HP

Info, pictures, advice...
blackhawk83

Post by blackhawk83 »

Finally located a source of ammo for my ever hungry P-64. Ammo is Silver Bear 94 gr. HP. This is a Russian ammo correct. Anyone have experience with these? Local price is $14.99 does that sound reasonable.
dwd

Post by dwd »

might be close. The last gun show I went to, which was over 45 days ago, silver bear was going for $14 a box which was as high as I have ever seen it.
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Where did you find your Silverbear JHP ammo? It is excellent ammunition, your P64 will love it and to date it is the only ammunition that my CZ82 will shoot accurately.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on April 6th, 2009, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sugosugita

Post by sugosugita »

I got 500 rounds of silver bear from ammunitiontogo.com, at a about 18 cents a round
Last edited by sugosugita on April 9th, 2009, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackhawk83

Post by blackhawk83 »

$14.99 locally. Ozark Armory: Springdale, AR
sapo

Post by sapo »

About all your going to get out of the Siver Bear 94 Gr HP's is jacket separation and maybe, just maybe a little deformation. You wont get anything looking like a real mushroomed bullet. I bought thousands of it when it was cheap in both .380 and 9X18 for my CZ vz. 82 and P-64 along with my Walther PPK and Colt 1908. It can be accurate though but it wont expand.

Get some Speer 90Gr Gold Dots or Hornaday 95Gr HP's. When I feel lazy dont feel like reloading brass cased 9X18, I pull the cheap Russian bullets, raise up the decapping pin and resize the steel cased Russian stuff, re-seat and taper crimp some of the above bullets with the same powder charge. The Russian Bullets dont go to waste, they get melted down into something more useful. :o

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs”.
Hillary Clinton: "We're Going to Take Things Away From You on Behalf of the Common Good"
"BuckFarack"

Last edited by sapo on April 10th, 2009, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I picked up a box of FIOCCHI 9x18 Police 100 gr. FMJ Truncated. The cases either seem smaller, or perhaps better manufacturing processes than the steel case Brown Bear. I know it's 6 grs heavier than is recommended. Any comments??
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

rottenrick wrote:I picked up a box of FIOCCHI 9x18 Police 100 gr. FMJ Truncated. The cases either seem smaller, or perhaps better manufacturing processes than the steel case Brown Bear. I know it's 6 grs heavier than is recommended. Any comments??
I seemed to recall something about not trying 9x18 Police in our 9x18 Makarov, so I looked it up.

Lo and behold, it looks like there's a difference in bullet diameter:
9x18 Police = 9.02 (.355)
9x18 Makarov = 9.25 (.364)

That's the Wiki answer from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9mm_caliber, there might be some more 'authoritative' sources out there to go by.

EDIT: reflecting this page's new location in Wikipedia.
Last edited by primarchbentley on March 22nd, 2010, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

rottenrick

9x18 Police and 9x18 ultra are not 9x18 Makarov and should not be use in a P-64 ,Makarov , PA-63,CZ-82 or anything that shoots the 9x18 Makarov round

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Thanks guys!! Didn't think it looked right. The rim is also looking smaller. Not having a mich I couldn't tell. Thanks a lot guys, you're the best.
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

The day I purchased my P64, the local gun shop, Impact Guns, only had one choice in 9x18:
American Eagle FMJ 95 grain.

That was on May 13,2009.
Last edited by ogdengunner on May 21st, 2009, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

That's great. I've ordered Silverbear, last order 500rds. have ordered Brown Bear before. Also have quite a bit of Barnaul too. J&G has Silverbear FMJ, HP. I'm thinking of ordering more. I have no luck getting Hornady HP at all. S&B is also good, brass case stuff. I've been told not to go over 94-95 bullet gr. weight, too hard on the weapon. I've been doing most of my ammo from J&G.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Ammo choices: Silver Bear 94 gr HP

Post by Weasel640 »

This is the exact thread I was looking for. It addresses the Silver Bear 94 gr HP and FIOCCHI 9x18 Police.

So locally there are three stores that carry 9x18 Makarov. Two carry FMJ only and one carries the Silver Bear 94 gr HP only.

I got my answer on the Silver Bear 94 gr HP; It sucks as a HP (Bad expansion / only really jacket separation) so I might as well just get the FMJs or find a source for the Speer or Hornaday HPs.

Secondly the shop that only carries Silver Bear 94 gr HP also carries FIOCCHI 9x18 Police. When I asked them why they didn't have any FMJ Makarov ammo, they proceeded to tell me they did, I ask where and they picked up the FIOCCHI 9x18 Police. At the time I did not know the exact differences between the two rounds, but I told them I did not think it was a good substitute for 9x18 Makarov as it was not marked that way. They told me it was fine, just a different manufacturer.

Now I know that there are very distinct characteristics between the two rounds. As primarchbentley and norm point out: 9x18 Police and 9x18 ultra are not 9x18 Makarov and should not be used in anything that shoots the 9x18 Makarov round. Now there is the obvious size difference, but what are the actual differences in ballistics, ie the pressures exerted on the barrel and/or the force the round leaves the barrel? Also is there an official source I can point the manager of this gun shop to when I tell him he is wrong for telling people to substitute the rounds?

Weasel

Just a side note: the other two shops that carry 9x18 Makarov are;
1) My normal shop that only started stocking it when I got my P-64, as soon as they get cases in they sell out pretty fast now.
2) As well as a shop a little further away but some of their workers own Makarovs and P-64s so they overstock on 9x18 Makarov ammo cause whatever they don't sell they will shoot anyway.
So I'm confident that until I leave here I'll always have a source of ammo whereas the more common calibers (9mm Luger, 45 ACP) are increasingly hard to find.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

I'm not too concerned with expansion as long as it goes deep enough to poke holes in important organs without passing through the person.
boomer

Post by boomer »

No body can tell that for sure. Hollow Points at about 10 feet will most likely go through as quick as FMJ if bone is not hit.