Help me with Ammo Weight

Info, pictures, advice...
sweetknuckles

Help me with Ammo Weight

Post by sweetknuckles »

Range report thread sparked this, but I didn't want to hijack.

Can someone explain the reason we should only shoot 95gr and LIGHTER ammunition in these P64s?

I thought it was the opposite and I'm a little confused.

I could have sworn the guy at JG told me don't fire anything LIGHTER than 95gr, which is similar to titanium revolvers where they'll warn not to shoot any 110gr ammo, but you can go all day long with anything heavier.

Anecdotally, I'm a glock guy as well, and have experienced less muzzle flip with 180gr .40 cal ammunition vs the lighter 165 gr or 155 gr. This seems to be borne out via the posts of others as well.

Looking at ballistics of the same ammo manufacturer, heavier bullet weight (at least in .40 cal) results in LOWER bullet speed and LOWER muzzle and downrange energy. If the thought here was that the gun absorbs more of the energy with a heavier bullet, it's tough to reconcile then the lower perceived muzzle flip.

I don't really need e=mc2 type explanation here, just explain it like I'm 5.

TIA
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Help me with Ammo Weight

Post by normsutton »

sweetknuckles
there isn't a 9 x 18 gun out there that was designed to shoot over a 95 grn . jacked bullet, but the Russians made a 120 bullet at first the sell to the USA because Americans would buy anything bigger and faster, and they will work fine in a Makarov gun, but not in a P-64 , CZ-82, or PA-63 ,now the Russians aren't making anymore bullets that are over 95 grn. anything over a 95 grn. bullet is very old stock,the Russians also loaded the same amount of the same powder in their heavy bullets as the light bullets ,and being a hand loader that's a no no

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Help me with Ammo Weight

Post by papabear »

+1 Nuff said..... :)
POINT SHOOTER
mikeh1

Help me with Ammo Weight

Post by mikeh1 »

I think the guy at J&G meant to say not to fire anything larger than 95 gr. in the P-64. Same thing with my PA-63, although I didn't know that rule applied to more than just that one gun. Learned something new today.
tmcblane

Help me with Ammo Weight

Post by tmcblane »

What is the issue with the heavier bullet? Gun does not function? When I bought mine I got 5 boxes of 115 jhp's with it. I have not shot it yet so I am looking for some guidance.
tmcblane

Help me with Ammo Weight

Post by tmcblane »

Bump
mikeh1

Help me with Ammo Weight

Post by mikeh1 »

tmcblane wrote:What is the issue with the heavier bullet? Gun does not function? When I bought mine I got 5 boxes of 115 jhp's with it. I have not shot it yet so I am looking for some guidance.
the heavier round puts more stress on the gun's frame, wearing it out faster
tmcblane

Help me with Ammo Weight

Post by tmcblane »

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure it was not a functioning problem.