Range Report: P64

Info, pictures, advice...
blackhawk83

Post by blackhawk83 »

Finally got a chance to sneak out of work a little early and get my new P64 out to the range. I must admit I have been intrigued by this little pistol since acquiring in last week and I just could not wait any longer to try it out.
I have had some problems locating much variety in ammo locally with selections being limited to Sellior & Belloit or Winchester 95 grain FMJ. Prices were noted to vary considerably from one store to the next ( $11.99 to $18.99) but did finally obtain (3) 50 rd boxes of Winchester 95 gr. to try in my first range session.
Given my intent of using the P64 as my primary CCW I began my range session at 10 yds.
Gun was fired unspported in SA only and (3) 6 rd groupings ranged from 1.974 to 2.147" very acceptable in my opinion especially considering this gun is still in its original factory configuration.
Next I moved back to 15 yds. and fired unsupported (2) groups again using the SA mode. Groups opened up slightly 2.144 to 2.641" but still very acceptable.
Final 5 shot group was fired supported from a bench at distance of 25 yds DA/SA this group was measured at 3.472" but if first shot fired in DA was not considered the group shrank to 2.849".
Overall I was very pleased with these results.
Impressions:

Small sights are a little difficult to pick up especially as shooting distance increased but gun proves to be more than acceptable in just point type shooting.

Overall ergonomics are good for a compact pistol but plastic factory grips do tend to become a little slick and I will plan on replacing these with a set of wood grips as I am able.

Felt recoil is less than I had anticipated but still quite snappy for such a small caliber.

As stated in several posts on this board the factory trigger is nice and crisp when firing the pistol in SA but DA trigger pull is best compared with trying to drag a piano down a gravel road. I will be placing a order for some replacement springs with Wolfe later this week.

I was disappointed that both factory mags were limited to six round capacity as this is no significant improvement over my other carry gun (Rossi Model 68 5 shot 38 Spcl).

I really need to find some 115 gr JHP to determine what effects this has on feeding and POI in my pistol as this will be my preferred choice in carry ammo.

Again I was very pleased with the overall performance of this gun and feel it will improve considerably with a little gentle massaging as noted above.
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

blackhawk83 wrote:Finally got a chance to sneak out of work a little early and get my new P64 out to the range. I must admit I have been intrigued by this little pistol since acquiring in last week and I just could not wait any longer to try it out.
I have had some problems locating much variety in ammo locally with selections being limited to Sellior & Belloit or Winchester 95 grain FMJ. Prices were noted to vary considerably from one store to the next ( $11.99 to $18.99) but did finally obtain (3) 50 rd boxes of Winchester 95 gr. to try in my first range session.
Given my intent of using the P64 as my primary CCW I began my range session at 10 yds.
Gun was fired unspported in SA only and (3) 6 rd groupings ranged from 1.974 to 2.147" very acceptable in my opinion especially considering this gun is still in its original factory configuration.
Next I moved back to 15 yds. and fired unsupported (2) groups again using the SA mode. Groups opened up slightly 2.144 to 2.641" but still very acceptable.
Final 5 shot group was fired supported from a bench at distance of 25 yds DA/SA this group was measured at 3.472" but if first shot fired in DA was not considered the group shrank to 2.849".
Impressions:

Small sights are a little difficult to pick up especially as shooting distance increased but gun proves to be more than acceptable in just point type shooting.

Overall ergonomics are good for a compact pistol but plastic factory grips do tend to become a little slick and I will plan on replacing these with a set of wood grips as I am able.

Felt recoil is less than I had anticipated but still quite snappy for such a small caliber.

As stated in several posts on this board the factory trigger is nice and crisp when firing the pistol in SA but DA trigger pull is best compared with trying to drag a piano down a gravel road. I will be placing a order for some replacement springs with Wolfe later this week.

I was disappointed that both factory mags were limited to six round capacity as this is no significant improvement over my other carry gun (Rossi Model 68 5 shot 38 Spcl).

I really need to find some 115 gr JHP to determine what effects this has on feeding and POI in my pistol as this will be my preferred choice in carry ammo.

Again I was very pleased with the overall performance of this gun and feel it will improve considerably with a little gentle massaging as noted above.
Do not, i repeat, do not venture past 95gr when it comes to rounds.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

hairypolack wrote:
blackhawk83 wrote:Finally got a chance to sneak out of work a little early and get my new P64 out to the range. I must admit I have been intrigued by this little pistol since acquiring in last week and I just could not wait any longer to try it out.
Impressions:

Do not, i repeat, do not venture past 95gr when it comes to rounds.
hairypolack

is right about that , if you want a heaver bullet , hand load the 100 grn lead bullet

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

You are already having problems finding ammo lot of ammo choices right? Maybe that is for a reason. They only offer load data for the 95 & 100gn bullets. I would have to say you need to look into some Hornady XTP rounds still get nice groups at 50yards and they are a very open JHP. Feed just fine in my p64 those are hand loads though!
amd6547

Post by amd6547 »

I've fired the 115gn silverbear round with zero problems.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
blackhawk83

Post by blackhawk83 »

have others experienced problems with heavier (i.e. 115 gr ) bullets. Is performance poor or are issues more serious than that?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

what do you guy's don't understand , the gun is not deigned to shoot over a 95 grn bullet no 9 X 18 gun ever was

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=2504

but its your gun shoot what you want out of it , but you have been warned and that's is all I can do

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
amd6547

Post by amd6547 »

The link provided gives no technical reason not to use silver bear 115's.
I am perfectly happy with standard weight ammo in 9mm mak pistols, in fact, I prefer FMJ.
I did buy two boxes of the 115's, and have shot a couple mags through both my CZ82 and my P64. Both pistols seemed to like the ammo just fine, accuracy was good, and there were no pressure signs.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
blackhawk83

Post by blackhawk83 »

So does anyone manufacture a JHP in 95gr?
ipsd

Post by ipsd »

blackhawk83 wrote:So does anyone manufacture a JHP in 95gr?
I do but I don't sell them! Hornady makes some of those XTP both full ammo, and bullets. The bullets I bought were XTP but I recently seen some adds and they now have another X lettered hollow point with a plastic looking sorta Nosler style insert in the center "supposed to aid expansion" Haven't really bought much ammo other than some brown bear camo box, american eagle FMJ, and some Russian FMJ in a plain white/Tanish box with blue print and those are steel core. All work and would hurt if they hit you, me or any one "excluding comic super hero's"
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

blackhawk83 wrote:So does anyone manufacture a JHP in 95gr?
Every once in a while you may find some 94 gr Silver Bear JHP.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
blackhawk83

Post by blackhawk83 »

Very well the search continues. Thanks for the heads up Norm
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Try Sportsmans guide, Hornady xtp, 25 rds. $14.99
sapo

Post by sapo »

I Chrono'd some Silver Bear 95gr FMJ's out of my P-64 the other day. I even caught some Speer 90gr Gold Dot HP's and Hornady 95gr XTP's I loaded with 4.1grs of WW-231. Out of the P-64 you get with Silver Bear 95 gr FMJ's, barrel length 3.33"below:

972fps

Out of the CZ-82 you get with the same load of 4.1 WW-231:

1144fps

Factory 95Gr FMJ's are below out of the CZ-82. Barrel Length
97 mm or 3.8”

1050fps

I didn't Chrono the reloads out of the P-64 but I imagine they go around a 100fps slower than the CZ-82. Maybe next range day I will chrono some out of the P-64.

Factory Silver Bear FMJ's come out looking almost ready to be used again after being shot into water........Unlike the Speer and Hornady HP's that really do expand.

The P-64 and a Walther PPK fed the same weight bullets shoot so close to the same speeds there really isn't any difference between the too. Out of the CZ-82's longer barrel, you get more bang out of the 9X18 by about an extra 100-125 fps.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs”.
Hillary Clinton: "We're Going to Take Things Away From You on Behalf of the Common Good"
"BuckFarack"
weirdjack

Post by weirdjack »

I like the Hornady XTP for a hollow-point round. I'm not sure about the new "Critical Self Defense" with it's plastic insert.
My P-64 cycles Hornady XTP's like it's popping candy from a PEZ dispenser! :) I was surprised, since the gun is bone-stock with no fluff'n'buff at all. However, I usually put one XTP in the chamber and keep FMJ's in the magazine.
I guess it depends on the gun; my FEG PA-63 doesn't cycle XTP's well from the magazine, but both my Bulgarian Makarov and Radom P-64 do.
Jack