floppy trigger

Info, pictures, advice...
crzbiker

floppy trigger

Post by crzbiker »

Just purchased a new to me 1970 model P64. Like all P64's this too had a really hard trigger pull, but seemed ok otherwise. Got it home, cleaned it, etc. and found that after racking the slislide the trigger no longer seemed connected. Using the decocker the hammer came down. Took it back to the shop where I was told it was missing a spring (heavily suggesting that I lost it). The spring he drew out for me is a leaf type shaped like a sickle. I took apart my '76 and can't find any leaf type springs at all. Your stickie of a '70 doesn't show any leaf type springs either. Is this guy jerking my chain or am I missing something?(he still has the gun, now two weeks) :o
Instigator/Conservative Underground
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

floppy trigger

Post by normsutton »

crzbiker
don't know about a leaf type spring
but I make 2 kinds of springs for the P-64 maybe he was talking one of these

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=1822

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
pshootr

floppy trigger

Post by pshootr »

Did you pull the trigger with the slide and grips removed?
Sounds like you are either missing the trigger return spring or more likely the trigger bar has slipped out of contact with the trigger return spring. I think Norm can help you reconnect the trigger bar to the trigger return spring.
Last edited by pshootr on March 18th, 2009, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crzbiker

floppy trigger

Post by crzbiker »

Thanks for the reply Norm. The picture he drew wasn't anything like yours. I am inclined to think he doesn't know what he's doing. I think I'll get the gun back and do it myself. I usually can do all the work that doesn't need machining, etc with the help of your great pictures and guidance. Only reason I took it back was the warranty period. My mistake.

Pshootr- I didn't pull the trigger with the slide or grips removed. Oddly enough though, the grips were a little loose when I got the gun. Usually I have to work them off when the gun is new.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

floppy trigger

Post by normsutton »

crzbiker

it wasn't till they went with the triangle hammer, they changed the trigger return spring with a .032 dia. wire before they used a .028 dia wire, its very common for a P-64 with a round hammer to have the trigger return spring brake on them

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

floppy trigger

Post by manicmechanic »

Norm, does that include the round hammers with the "A" designation stamped below the hammer on the frame on left side? That means some sort of upgrade doesn't it?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

floppy trigger

Post by normsutton »

LEO

that's the upgrade they talk about when they say they upgraded the trigger I think, that's the only one I have found any way

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
crzbiker

floppy trigger

Post by crzbiker »

Well, I went down and got the gun back and ordered new trigger springs from Norm .While I was at it I ordered a set from Wolf. It'll be like a new gun! Thanks to Norm and the others for all your input.