Wow! What a sweet little piece...

Info, pictures, advice...
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

Tunnelrat,
I'm about 60 miles NE of the Yough Dam in Somerset County. Little coal mining town in the Alleghenies, where I grew up. Spend summers here at the old homestead. Weather sure beats the rest of the country most of the summer.
Some locals have been fishing the Yough dam outflow area for BIG trout lately. Nice country down your way, too. Don't worry much about gun laws here. Just go out in the wood and shoot, when the need arises.
Stan
Yup, my family is from Mt.Pleasant and Connellsville. My mom, dad, and all my brothers were born there. My grandfather owned the Connellsville Courier. He bought the property in MD, high up in the hills to escape the summer heat.

I still love to drive route 40 over the Summit on the way to Uniontown. There is absolutely nothing like it here in Toledo, where everything is as flat as a giant pool table...

You're right about the shooting. Even though it's still Maryland, the local trooper is married to one of my relatives... ;D
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Tunnelrat,
Was in Scottdale last month. Had an uncle who lived on Breakneck Road at the top, just east of Scottdale who passed away. Bought Kolbassi in a little shop in Mt Pleasant. They make their own, and have an Extra garlic variety. Forget the name, but you may know the place.
The drive down 31 from Somerset to Mt Pleasant is also interesting. We usually take the turnpike to Donegal, though.
Stan
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

abwehr, there has never been, to my recollection, a reported bear attack in Washington State. There was an episode recently where some guys chased a bear to the point of torture and got bit, but bears don't go after people here.

People who come from cities (now, I don't know where abwehr comes from so this is not directed) get pretty worried over bears. In Alaska, be very afraid, and in those parts of Montana and Idaho where Brown Bears live be aware. In Washington, our black bears will run from a person yelling at them. They're more like a dog in behavior; tell them "Bad Bear". I've had them follow me in the back country and turned around and told them to get lost. I had one bear go inside my tent, steal my pack with some candy bars, and I chased him down and told him to give it back. My wife chases them away from the compost pile with a stick (well, you have to know my wife). Cougars are another thing, and they are getting bolder. Washington passed a very miss-guided law against using dogs to hunt cougars and the population has blossomed. And they get bolder as they smell the bacon and human pets. But I've only seen one cougar in 15 years of logging (a past profession), and they tend to totally avoid humans.

I wouldn't pack a pistol on a trail myself; I struggle enough on hills. And I don't feel any danger whatsoever in the woods.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

nbender,

Thenks for the information! I am from SC and have hiked/backpacked the Great Smokey Mtns. a lot. The Black Bear there are a little more aggressive, but not considered a problem. By biggest concern are the two-legged annimals, LOL! Last weekend there was a lady and her daughter killed on the a hiking trip, on the west side of the Cascades, but this is probably an isolated incedent. All the folks I have met on the trails have been very nice folks! They also like my Southern accent too, LOL!!!! Honestly, I just feel more comfortable if I have something in my pocket.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Can't fault you for that.
truth

Post by truth »

I took my 1970 P-64 to the range today for the second time. It operated flawlessly. I ran 200 rounds of Wolf, MFS, Sellier & Bellot, and Lake City through the tube. I don't care for the Wolf, it drags as you load each round in the clip, not smooth like brass. It felt hotter, maybe my imagination. I still don't understand all the comments here about recoil, sore hands, fingers ect. ???? The bad comments about the double action disturb me too, IT IS WHAT IT IS. I have $169.00 in this pocket pistol and love it at that price. I would never consider switching springs that aren't designed to be in the gun and have clips drop ???? Seems silly to me, how much effort or time does it take to pull the hammer back??? Come on guys you have a great little piece for less than two bills, enjoy it for what it is not what you wish it could be....I would buy another one in a heart beat. I just hate to read all the complaints about this sweet little piece.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

truth,

Well said, I have 3 P-64's now, gave one to my future son-in-law for CCW. The only thing I changed, I took off the thumb rest grips and put on Zee's grips on all my P-64's and on one I added a clipdraw for CCW. I love shooting these little rascal's and the more I shoot them the easier the DA gets and the better I like em.

PapaBear
Last edited by papabear on July 15th, 2006, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

I don't plan to change the springs either, mostly because I'm a lazy guy LOL! But I really don't see the need, my DA pull has gotten plenty manageable with minimal use, and--well, like the guy said, how much time does it take to pull the hammer back? I did notice the recoil the last time i shot it, but maybe i was just spoiled because I was also shooting my .32...It was just as accurate, tho, recoil and all...
truth

Post by truth »

I got two sets of grips today from Zee. After removing a little plastic to get grooves to seat, the screw won't tighten enough to really get the grips tight to gun. I have about three threads sticking out of the nut. They meet true down the back strap. Anyone with Zee grips have this problem? Do you have threads sticking out of the nut enough you can feel it in your palm when you grip the gun? What are your thoughts?
truth

Post by truth »

Any thoughts out there on my above post, no matter how tight the screw is the grips wiggle. I guess it's better than a cracked thumbshelf, but not what I was expecting. It's hard to believe no one has mentioned this in the posts.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

PM sent

PapaBear
POINT SHOOTER