Marschal Grip Question

Info, pictures, advice...
amd6547

Marschal Grip Question

Post by amd6547 »

Been considering getting a set for my P64...
I am leaning toward checkered walnut, oiled finish.
Any consensus on which wood is best for the P64? Has the cracking issue been fully resolved? I know he does good work, I have his grips on my CZ82.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
sweetknuckles

Marschal Grip Question

Post by sweetknuckles »

+1 Would like to know:

1. Has the cracking issue been fully resolved with the Marschals?
2. Also considering Zee Grips - what are the benefits of these grips assuming I would NOT want any flamboyant zebra/multicolor stuff? Are they rubberized and absorbent of recoil or ??
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Marschal Grip Question

Post by normsutton »

sweetknuckles wrote:+1 Would like to know:

Are they rubberized and absorbent of recoil or ??

no they aren't they are plastic they are exact duplicates of original

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
amd6547

Marschal Grip Question

Post by amd6547 »

47 looks, and no answers??
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Marschal Grip Question

Post by manicmechanic »

I've got a pair I bought used off here, they're not glued together and previous owner had shot quite a few rounds with them on and no problems. Not sure how the new doweled ones are working out. I'm sure you'll get more replies.
amd6547

Marschal Grip Question

Post by amd6547 »

Thanks.
Yeah, I would be interested to know how the new ones are, and how big the gap shown in the last post in Denis's ad is.
torpeau

Marschal Grip Question

Post by torpeau »

amd6547 wrote: Any consensus on which wood is best for the P64? Has the cracking issue been fully resolved? I know he does good work, I have his grips on my CZ82.
I'd say the wood is a matter of personal taste. I think he has modified his p-64 grips so that they are much less likely to crack. The recoil of the P-64 puts a lot of stress on the grips, but if there is a problem, Denis stands behind his work.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
primarchbentley

Marschal Grip Question

Post by primarchbentley »

I have a set of the newest P64 design (w/ dowel), checkered, in walnut. I went with the walnut because I had 'simple, durable' in mind because this is my CCW. Since I don't expect many people to see my P64 on a regular basis, I decided not to opt for anything too flashy.

I haven't put more than a hundred rounds through my P64 since I got these new grips a little over a month ago (bad me, I should practice more), but they're holding out just fine so far.

I'm not sure what 'gap' you're asking about, amd6547. But I just closed the door to my office and checked, if this is what you're talking about. For mine, I can stick my fingernail into the tiny gap between grip panels towards the top of the backstrap, but this closes up about 1/3 of the way down the grip to where I no longer can. Any tighter than what I currently have on the screw, and I start to put pressure on the magazine.

But it's been solid, and hasn't loosened up at all in shooting or carry yet. The slighter thicker wooden grip and extension down over the magazine are nice, and even a roommate of mine who had sworn off shooting my P64 (he was 'bitten' his first time) says the grip change has him reconsidering trying it out again.
crzbiker

Marschal Grip Question

Post by crzbiker »

sweetknuckles wrote: 2. Also considering Zee Grips -
Z grips are plastic copies of the originals. Being plastic they are quite a bit cheaper than wood. I bought a set because they would make them with a thumb rest. They came out good. )I know what kind of shooter wants a thumb rest?) 8-)
Instigator/Conservative Underground
rottenrick

Marschal Grip Question

Post by rottenrick »

Hi, I ordered the walnut oiled grips today. They looked pretty good. Also, got them checkered. Total cost 47.00 bucks. Also ordered a P-64 from J&G, plus three mags.
With all the traffic they have now, said it would be about 10 days. Will order Wolfe springs by phone tom. The grips looked real good, got them without the thumb rest. Next will be leather and a double mag carrier.
amaven

Marschal Grip Question

Post by amaven »

I have the Marashal grips for p64.
Sweat from carrying has ruined whatever finish Dennis uses.

Stripped the finish in about 2 minutes with wife's nail polish remover.
Applied 10 coats spray clear satin polyurethane.
Poly so far totally resistant to perspiration.
In Fl where I live, humid warm weather and carrying sometimes causes us Floridians different kinds of carry problems.
Was wearing IWB, grips in contact with my skin.

Grips are excellent from Dennis, only sorry I did not get checkered as I did for my CZ 82 which I also had to refinish.
Would highly doing biz with Dennis.
1st set CZ 82 cracked at the range in about the first 20 or so rounds.
Contacted Dennis after having grips for over a year, he replaced them for a nominal charge.
He is an honorable biz man.