Ammunition

Info, pictures, advice...
dusty62

Ammunition

Post by dusty62 »

Even though I've owned my P64 for a year and a half I'm still a relative newcomer to the family. I don't get to get out and shoot nearly as often as I'd like to.

When I first bought the P64 I also picked up a box of ammo from my FFL dealer that someone had ordered in and never came to get. It was pretty cheap, $10.00 a box and the box was pretty much plain brown with a few words in Russian on it and nothing that I could identify other than the caliber markings.

Since that I've shot some Hornaday 94gr. JHP and I like it but it is definately not cheap. I've been looking around at different sites and such and have seen a few different makers of ammo for the 9X18.

If anyone cares to elaborate, what are the differences between Silver Bear, Brown Bear, Wolf, Sellier & Belloit (sp?)? Does anyone have a favorite amongst the available ammo and why?

Thanks to all who offer any info here.

dus'
ipsd

Ammunition

Post by ipsd »

Some of those Plain Jane boxes that I got like that have a steel core bullet on them. After my time at my buddies mini range cut one of those recovered bullets in half to find a Steel center. As for witch I like best all I've been able to get my hands on is: those brown boxes,Wolf, & American Eagle by Federal. I must say they all worked just seemed the American Eagle was just a tad cleaner than the others.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ammunition

Post by grayfox »

I think all but the S&B are made in russia, S&B is Chek. I like the silver bear & brown bear (made in diff. plants). S&B is also great ammo, but sometimes cost more in my area. I have shot some wolf, but it seems to be dirty & smelly, some of my guns won't cycle wolf (pistols). It works ok in my AKs, but they will eat anything. I think allso that the euro ammo is made for thier guns, as sometimes american ammo is a lil diff. IMHO ;D
6x6pinz

Ammunition

Post by 6x6pinz »

S&B all the way in my euro pistols. Cost a little more but works and isn't too dirty plus it seems to be always available.
crzbiker

Ammunition

Post by crzbiker »

Ive fired Wolf, S&B,Brown Bear and Silver Bear in my two P64's. I agree that the S&B is the cleanest. If you want real fun though ,shoot Brown Bear the next time you're at an indoor range. Inside of ten shots the whole place will be gasping and wheezing. I think the smoke and smell could easily bring on an asthma attack. ;D
Instigator/Conservative Underground
dusty62

Ammunition

Post by dusty62 »

Ha ha! Good one. I'll have to remember that one since the only range I have near me is indoor. I'll probably have to buy a round at the bar afterwards, though, just to keep in the good graces of the club!

dus'
frankmako

Ammunition

Post by frankmako »

wish i could get it at $10.00 a box now. prices are all over the place. i have seen it over $22.00 a box, plus tax. i keep looking at small guns and general stores that might have old stock that is priced lower. found some 380 acp the other day at 2002 prices. i took all they had. the dust on the boxes was a killer. georgia arms has a good deals on ammo, only if you get 500 to 1,000 rounds. check them out. my p64 will eat any brand of ammo, so i look for the lowest price when i want to shoot it.
olympus

Ammunition

Post by olympus »

Mine eats anything that you feed it as well. I stocked up on Brown Bear from ATG a while back so I should be set for a while and I and I also got a few hundred rounds of S&B for Christmas.
torpeau

Ammunition

Post by torpeau »

frankmako wrote:wish i could get it at $10.00 a box now.
With the currencies of eastern Europe on steep decline compared to the dollar and with the fall in costs of metals, it is reasonable to expect that newly imported ammo will be a lot cheaper.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
dusty62

Ammunition

Post by dusty62 »

I see that Cheaper Than Dirt has both S&B and Brown Bear offered for the same price. I may just try both of them and see what results I get. From what I have read here from all of the responses you've given me S&B seems to be the preferred brand but B.B. has a few takers, too. Anyway, CTD is offering both ammo's at 14.79/box so I might as well split my order and see what I think myself. Thanks to all who responded to my question.

dus'