New P-64 owner, a few questions

Info, pictures, advice...
guydeloimbard

Post by guydeloimbard »

I got my P-64 a couple of weeks ago, I think it makes a nice companion to my CZ-82, and it's great that they can share ammo. I have had a few issues with it though, hopefully you guys will have some insight?

I have a lot of trouble getting it to run through a full magazine without jamming. The slide lock will activate with 1, sometimes 2 rounds left in the magazine. I think it's a weak spring, but I don't see anywhere to get one of these. Will a the same spring from a PPK work?

Another problem I'm having is with the brass. They come out of the gun with ginormous bulges on them. They look like they came straight out of a Glock .40. I'm having a hard time running them through the sizer die to get them back in to shape. Should I be worried about re-using them?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

guydeloimbard

clean the gun up beffe you ever frie it

and what kind of are you shooting need gran of bullet too

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
guydeloimbard

Post by guydeloimbard »

I stripped the gun and cleaned it out before I ever took it to the range, I don't think it would have worked at all with as much goo as was in there when I got it. Everything moves freely now.

The slide locked prematurely with everything I tried. I was using some WWB I bought when I bought the gun; and it didn't like anything I loaded myself either. My own handloads were 95gr. over a charge of 7.7 gr. AA #7, and the same bullet over 3.6 gr. VV N320.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

guydeloimbard

ok ,
dose your slid stop spring look like this,
Image this a different gun but it soul look the same
sorry bad pix
that slide stop performs 2 functions its the ejector, and the slide stop

I don't know about your load never used any of those powders

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on February 21st, 2009, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

you can call me my phone No. is in this thread
http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=1822

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

guydeloimbard,
I read an article that I believe was printed in Guns and Ammo magazine seven or eight years ago that stated the problem is caused by faulty extractor and ejector timing, spent case is leaving the pistol to soon or to late; Norm would be the guy to answer that question.
Any how, my understanding is that some of the Soviet block country's used soft steal cases that were not suitable for reloading so really no reason to worry about bent cases.
By the way, welcome aboard, always good to hear from new members.
G.R.
polypet

Post by polypet »

You didn't mention whether it was FMJ or HP. My P-64 jams with HP bullets but is fine with the FMJ. Since HP is not a rounded tip, it doesn't slide into its place.

Another problem might be the extractor as mentioned above. If it doesn't catch the casing to pull it after the slide moves back, the casing will stay in place but the slide will try to pull another cartridge from the magazine and feed it. Or the problem could be a weak slide spring which doesn't push the slide forward hard enough to engage the extractor.
polypet

Post by polypet »

On second thought, what you described is not really jamming with two cartridges in the slide but the slide lock being activated prematurely. Please disregard my above post.
guydeloimbard

Post by guydeloimbard »

Hey all,
It is the slide-lock being activated prematurely. I took it to the range again and it did the same thing, it you looked in the ejection port you could see the slide-lock popped up holding the slide back. I did end up calling Norm and talking to him for a while, and he thinks it's probably the same thing. I may end up buying a new slidelock spring from him.

As for the ammo, it was all FMJ rounds, WWB; and my handloads which are a Berry's plated 95gr RN. Brass is a mix of win, S&B, and Starline. The starline cases have the biggest bulges, the S&B have little to no bulge. All of these work just fine in my CZ-82.