J&G P-64's

Info, pictures, advice...
fritzhund

J&G P-64's

Post by fritzhund »

This thread is directed to those who have purchased a P-64 from J&G Sales within the last month or two.

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

What year did you receive?

Round or triangle hammer? (please include year on this one)

Were you able to, or did you, request a specific year?

Overall condition? Dings, dents, gouges, perfect?

Any issues with the gun as received, besides the normal cleaning, as is to be expected with any mil-surp gun?

Please post some photos of these guns, as most of us older than dirt folks here were used to our TN Guns imports. I am really interested in the "new" billboard from PW on the P-64. The original imports were discreetly marked under the muzzle.

I have a bunch of stuff stamped with the PW mark, just have not seen a P-64 with one in person. I'm sure that I will soon, just looking for your thoughts.

No doubt that I will order another one as the goodies are thinning fast, just wondering about the overall condition of the "new" batch.

Thanks guys!

8-)

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
hairypolack

J&G P-64's

Post by hairypolack »

Mine was dated 1976, triangle hammer, was not able to request a single year, overall condition is very impressive. The bore is flawless but I did find two spots where the bluing was wearing a little. All I did was give it a good cleaning and got some of the shipping gunk out.
olympus

J&G P-64's

Post by olympus »

I received the 1976 model with the triangular hammer as well. I didn't even try to request a specific year. Just getting one of these things was enough for me. Mine doesn't have a single flaw anywhere that I can find. I'm about 95% sure that it had never been fired. The bluing is perfect. I couldn't be any happier with my pistol from J&G. I was going to pay the extra $10 for a hand select, but the guy I talked to told me that it really wouldn't be worth it because they're all in excellent condition.

I have pictures of mine in one of threads around here. I'm actually going to the range in about 45 minutes to shoot it.
tommy2

J&G P-64's

Post by tommy2 »

Fritzhund

I got one a few weeks ago, 1976, triangle hammer, I didn't know that you could request year! I did opt for hand select. Beautiful! Like new, mint condition! A few of my younger shooting buddies thought it was "real cool" that the Serial number is xx xx007 ! If it was only an older German made Walther PPK with that number, I might be able to name my own price, maybe in the many thousands of bucks, who knows!? How long did "Bond, James Bond" tote one of those before he switched to something more modern? Good Shootin' to All, Tommy2
cagosti

J&G P-64's

Post by cagosti »

two guns both 1976 round hammer one ONE, one unfired, one very dirty lots
of powder soot.

charles
tommy2

J&G P-64's

Post by tommy2 »

Cargosti,
I thought that all P-64's made after 1972 or '73 had triangular hammers. It seems strange that you have two 1976'ers with round hammers! Powder 'soot' or residual? I've never received a gun from ANY supplier that looked like it had just been fired a lot, and I've done a good bit of business with J&G and others! Sounds 'funny' to me! Anyway, Good Luck with your two P-64's! Tommy2
weirdjack

J&G P-64's

Post by weirdjack »

Mine is marked 1976 also, with the triangular hammer spur.
Did not appear to have been fired, not a mark on the feed ramp nor magazine follower. I didn't opt for the $10 hand pick, since all reports from J&G stock have been so good. Mine had very little to clean out inside....some excess oil, but nothing by way of major gunk.
This photo really doesn't do it justice, the gun has a very deep bluing and only minor shelf-scuffs.
olympus

J&G P-64's

Post by olympus »

weirdjack - sounds like your experience was almost identical to mine. And you're right, pictures don't do them justice. They look a lot better in person. After my first range trip, I had mixed feelings about it, but after my second trip and another 150 rounds, I am really crazy about that little gun.

Mine has noticeable better accuracy when shooting Sellier and Bellot compared to the old Brown Bear! ;D
spazzwarr
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

J&G P-64's

Post by spazzwarr »

I agree with the better accuracy with Sellier and Bellot, besides a cleaner gun. A gunsmith friend of mine says that S & B makes Winchester's 9X18. Don't know is this is true. Both rounds shoot very similar.
rockbottom12

J&G P-64's

Post by rockbottom12 »

ordered two both were in new condition, never fired. little scratches on the grips but otherwise nothing wrong with it. ill try to take some good pics this weekend if i remember.
southbendin

J&G P-64's

Post by southbendin »

this is bullsh*t. I just got my P64 today. Its in terrible condition. The gun has major wear on it. It honestly looks like it has been used daily for 5 years. I'm calling JG tomorrow for an exchange.
southbendin

J&G P-64's

Post by southbendin »

Just got off the phone with JG. I'm returning it tomorrow in exchange for a hand select. He told me it was going to be 20-30$ to handselect though (!)

But anyway, they are real friendly and have EXCELLENT service. They are very understanding. My P64 honestly looks like it has 1,000 rounds through it. The paint on the trigger is almost all worn out.

My P64 just went from 160$ to 300$ after all this mess but its still worth it.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

J&G P-64's

Post by normsutton »

southbendin

let's see a pix of this bad P-64

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
olympus

J&G P-64's

Post by olympus »

Yeah some pictures would be good. This is the first negative thing I've heard about JG. And the hand select when I checked a few months ago was only $10. You might want to question whoever you talked to about that.
6x6pinz

J&G P-64's

Post by 6x6pinz »

I visit J&G a couple of times a month and have never seen a bad P64 there. They have the display case up front and some of the pistols in there look like they have been through some rough times but all the P64's have been in really nice shape. Some of the CZ 82's I have seen there would be better served as parts guns but the price also reflected the condition.

I don't think on any boards I have seen a rough P64.