Grips & Cocked and Locked

Info, pictures, advice...
sweetknuckles

Post by sweetknuckles »

Hi guys, new registrant but have been lurking for a little while. Just got my pistol and I'm crowing from the rooftops about it...I think for $158 at JG, everyone should own one of these things.

I've read, but have a couple of specific questions I hadn't found the answer to, and would love some help.

1. Is there any off the shelf style of Walther PPK/s, Walther PPK grips that will fit on the P64 at all?

2. Although i've read to the contrary, my 1976 model seems to have a setting for cocked and locked. Racked and with safety pointing at 8 o'clock, it blocks the firing pin, keeps the hammer back, and allows trigger to freely be pulled with no consequence. Was this a design change in the later models of the gun, or is this just a quirk of my particular lady?

* caveat here is that I wouldn't carry this way, since it takes only very light pressure to bump the safety up into firing position from this setting *

Thanks!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

sweetknuckles

welcome

1. Is there any off the shelf style of Walther PPK/s, Walther PPK grips that will fit on the P64 at all?
(no there isn't)

2. Although i've read to the contrary, my 1976 model seems to have a setting for cocked and locked. Racked and with safety pointing at 8 o'clock, it blocks the firing pin, keeps the hammer back, and allows trigger to freely be pulled with no consequence. Was this a design change in the later models of the gun, or is this just a quirk of my particular lady?
(you just have a stiff safety lever clean the gun )

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
sweetknuckles

Post by sweetknuckles »

Norm, thanks for the reply. I had been refreshin' the page all day, knowing you'd respond.

@ point number 2:
Perhaps a stiff safety lever, but the gun has been super cleaned, as I'm familiar with milsurp.
Boiling water treatment and simple green followed by soap and a helluva rinse - although it didn't really need all that. The oil was pretty light weight...very unlike SOME stuff I've had to de-cosmo.

The safety does 'notch' into that 8 o'clk position, although not extremely positively, but not just freeplay either. Looking at back of firing pin through hammer slot, the safety is rotated up enough to block hammer contact with pin, and as mentioned the trigger pulls fully rearward as per safety fully engaged.

...just thought I'd mention it. TY again.
Last edited by sweetknuckles on February 20th, 2009, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

if you cleaned it like you mentioned there are other ways I had an experience with a very hard safety. rather then take it all out and buff it I got a little key grafite(walmart ) mixed it up with some oil and used a syringe and applied . that plus using a bit loosened it up no problems after that... also you said everyone should have .. a lot of here got the virus and have a few .. ;D ;D 8-)
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

The bottom line is that the P64 isn't meant to be able to be carried cocked and locked. If yours does then something is wrong and you need to be careful applying the saftey in that gray area "in between" cocked and safe with the hammer dropped.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

++++103 with carguy
electross

Post by electross »

I agree with several others here, I don't think cocked and locked is a feature on a P64. Better play with that thing and take it apart to see whats going on. I know a CZ 82 is designed for cocked and locked (not sure I would). But a P64 is da/sa without a cocked and lock. You know what, I just went and checked mine and if you move the hammer drop mid way it disconnects the trigger but there is not a detent for it to stay in that position. I don't know about everyone else but I don't consider the hammer drop on a P64 as a safety. The direction it travels to drop the hammer makes me think its a hammer drop only. Once the hammer has been dropped and you leave the drop lever in the lower position, it certainly then works as a safety. Hmmmm, could this be the start of another post.
weirdjack

Post by weirdjack »

Add me to the "+ whatever number we're up to" on the "cocked&locked" issue. The P-64 is DA/SA with a de-cocking lever (which does block the firing pin). However, the de-cocking lever should always drop the hammer (de-cock) when activated.
As for aftermarket grips; None off the shelf, but Dennis Marschalko offers some nice ones for the P-64 ...... http://www.marschalgrips.com/
Jack
oppy

Post by oppy »

I see what the OP is saying...when I slowly engaged the decock lever just beyond the mid way point the pin is blocked, trigger is disengaged and hammer is back. I'll leave details to the experts here (you guys know who you are!) but I would never recommend this hybrid condition of "Kinda Decocked" ;).

Off topic, trying this reminds me of when I was a kid in early 70s, I would turn the dial on the IGA store gumball machine VERY slowly. At just beyond the midway point I'd hit the jackpot and get 2 gumballs for the price of one.
Last edited by oppy on March 15th, 2009, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.
corbon380

Post by corbon380 »

They are right, if the hammer drops at this 7.30 position I wouldn't trust the gun to go off or not to go off, pin looks blocked,yes. I have carried this gun that way. The trigger doesn't engage. Seems a way to bypass the stock da pull. My gun clicks btwn 9 and 7.30, no 'no mans land' to be unsure of. My opinion, it was designed this way. No real research, just opinion. Fixed barrel all the way. John
james832

Post by james832 »

Don't think there is a cocked and locked feature on a p-64. If you remove the slide so you can look at the safety from the bottom ,set at the on position, if there is such a feature you should be able to see a detent in the safety for the detent pin.