Unpleasant experience.

Info, pictures, advice...
polypet

Unpleasant experience.

Post by polypet »

I got my P-64 a few weeks ago and took it to the range a couple of days ago. Shot 70+ rounds through it. By the end, I really hated shooting it. The webbing on my hand was red from the recoil. Two days later it is still bruised and hurting.

But I will still keep it. It's a nice size to carry and it is very accurate. The only way I will shoot it in the future is 2-3 magazines max.

Otherwise, it will have to be my CZ-82. I thought that gun had considerable recoil. After the P-64, it seemed like a plush toy.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Unpleasant experience.

Post by anjdrifter »

a lot of us had simular experience at first but believe it or not after you get used to and maybe adjust your grip or try even different zee or dennis grips it is better.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Unpleasant experience.

Post by normsutton »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sept 16, 2008, 7:25pm, Space wrote: Don't worry. In a month or two a large callous will form on the web of your hand. It will kinda look like the bottom of your foot.

Won't hurt anymore.

I love this quote from SPACE
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
oppy

Unpleasant experience.

Post by oppy »

The first time I shot my P64, I went through 200 rounds. It was brutal and the swelling stayed for several days. I decided to try a handall jr slip on grip and found it reduced the shock to the hand quite well.

Still. like you two or three mags an outing to remain proficient is plenty...
The Trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.
donw

Unpleasant experience.

Post by donw »

I had a bloody trigger finger after 40 rds. Have since replaced the recoil spring with a Wollf 24# er,and I'm going to replace the hammer spring with a wolf 20#,maybe today.-I'm curious to see what difference these 2 springs have on the next trip to the range.
olympus

Unpleasant experience.

Post by olympus »

I had the same bloody trigger finger after my first outing with the P-64 as well. I shot 100 rounds through it and the webbing of my hand was red and swollen.

However, I took it today to the range for the second trip and I put 150 rounds through it today and it was a much more pleasant experience. I think the last time I was anticipating the recoil with accuracy, because this time I was dead on with this little thing. I brought my 1911 with me too and found that I like to shoot my P-64 just as much if not more....that might be because it's tons cheaper to shoot.

My advice, keep up with shooting it every so often. You'll soon learn to deal with the hurting web. It wasn't nearly as noticeable this second time as it was the first time.
donnerwetter58

Unpleasant experience.

Post by donnerwetter58 »

The silver lining is that for some of you guys 2 boxes of ammo will last a lifetime.
p64

Unpleasant experience.

Post by p64 »

Training tip- Try shooting a Kel-Tec P3AT with a hot load, it'll make your P-64 feel all warm and fuzzy and comfy, lol.

Seriously, get a slip on grip and practice. You'll get used to it in no time.
james832

Unpleasant experience.

Post by james832 »

I use a contender 10 inch barrel 357 MAXIMUM with early style grip, for deer. Seven or eight shots with it and you will be tickled to go to a tame p-64.
dwd

Unpleasant experience.

Post by dwd »

I put a piece of bicycle inner tube on mine, I think it helps, it might be psychological though.
If I'm shooting it a lot, like at the range, I use a glove. I have a pair made by Dewalt that is used in demolition. It has lots of cushion. I got them at Westlake hardware.
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
torpeau

Unpleasant experience.

Post by torpeau »

donw wrote:I had a bloody trigger finger after 40 rds.
I put a 22# recoil spring in mine and still get a bloody trigger finger. If I grip it extra hard, maybe there's less of a problem. 50 rnds is about my limit, but the P-64 is still one of my favorites because of its size and cartridge.
Last edited by torpeau on February 23rd, 2009, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
redfestiva

Unpleasant experience.

Post by redfestiva »

My wife uses a pair of padded weight lifters gloves with no fingers. The padding they provide tames the recoil of the P-64 so she can handle it.
Last edited by redfestiva on February 23rd, 2009, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dusty62

Unpleasant experience.

Post by dusty62 »

Redfestiva,

Good piece of advice plus a pretty cool pic, to boot. As an amateur photog as well as an avid shooter I really appreciate the "action" shot.

dus'
spazzwarr
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Unpleasant experience.

Post by spazzwarr »

I did recoil spring mod (22 lbs) and reduced hammer spring (19 lbs) this past weekend. Just got back from the range and the experience was incredibly better than previously. I have had the same thumb/finger web problems. Shot 40 rnds without any pain, accuracy was improved. Recoil now is less than my cz82. Trigger pull is about the same as my cz27 .32ACP. This gun is now at the top of my list for shootability!
hairypolack

Unpleasant experience.

Post by hairypolack »

I got a slip on grip by pachmayr that seems to make shooting this pistol more tolerable. I do have a recoil spring in the mail but so far everytime i shoot this pistol, i love it even more.