P-64, For the Ladies? I don't think so!

Info, pictures, advice...
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

Most of us just love this pistol, for it's looks, size and of course PRICE! Now, and I want you to be truthful, how many of your female relatives and friends can FULLY operate it? i.e. - work the magazine catch, fully load the magazine, pull the slide all the way back, pull that heavy double action trigger (even with an 18 lb. Wolff spring installed), not mind the rather sharp snappy recoil. I could not find any (out of ten) that could pass this test! I didn't even dream of asking them to remove the slide for cleaning and try to replace it! If you know a gal that can do most, or all, of these things, please let the Forum know! And as an after thought, I suggest that you always try to get along well with her! :-) Tommy2
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

My girlfriend has no problems operating the P-64.
It is fit with the 18 lb hammer spring and the 20 lb recoil spring.
She doesn't complain about recoil with factory loads or downloaded reloads. With cast bullet reloads, she runs 100 rounds without a problem.
She's not some 300 pound monster, just a 5'4", 125 lb. former Army nurse that really likes to shoot. She can fully operate her AK-74 and my AR-15 too....including field stripping and cleaning.
You just need to find the right girl. ;D
Last edited by donnerwetter58 on February 13th, 2009, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob

Post by bob »

Chauvanist pig!! But really I think if a female is into guns like her male counter parts she can shoot and strip(the gun that is) the same.My son is in the police academy and some of the male candidates don't even have an intersest in firearms(why choose being law enforcement I'll never know) and have a tough time with them.Some female candidates that come from a family of shooters are right at the top in all aspects of firearms.It all comes down to experience,training and practice.
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

donnerwetter58
Glad to hear that your girlfriend has no trouble with the P-64! But I still believe that many women would. Have you let any other ladies try it out yet? Let's see what some other members of the Forum have to say. Good shootin', and Enjoy Life! Tommy2
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

hi tommy2,
I'm ms. donnerwetter58. I just thought I would tell you in my own words, that I very much enjoy the P-64. It is a perfect fit. I've put many rounds down range, and haven't had any problems with the recoil or any aspects of operating the gun. Perhaps these women of yours need a better instructor. Maybe a woman? Just a thought. The P-64 should be a good fit for any woman with normal size hands. When handed a CZ-82, PA-63 and the P-64, the P-64 was the perfect fit. Since I burn all the ammo, there's none left for any other women in our group.
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

Bob
Male Chauvanist Pig? Not I! I just read yesterday about a 58 year old lady swimming the Atlantic Ocean, well over 3,500 miles! Even I might have a bit of trouble doing that! And I'll also be the first to admit that there are lots and lots of gals (all ages) at the ranges that are far far better shots than I will ever be! I certainly didn't mean to imply that women can't learn to be very proficient in the use of firearms in general, but rather that MANY MANY would lack the arm strength and grip to pull the slide of a P-64 all the way back 'til it locks open. I also think that MOST would have trouble with the double action pull and that 'stinging' recoil. If any of you out there are thinking of gettng your lady a pistol for carry or home defence, make sure it's one that she is comfortable with and can use with ease. You might have to pay a good bit more for it than a P-64 (they ARE a real bargain!). But what value do you place on a loved one's life? Think about it.. Tommy2
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

Dear Ms. Donnerwetter58,
I'm so glad that the P-64 is right for you! Maybe they grow the gals stronger out there in SW Ohio than here in "The Endless Mountains" of NE PA! (Darn, there I've gone and done it again, made any folks from around here mad at me if they read this!) :-) After more than a half century of collecting and shooting all types of firearms (I've got over 40 now) and some time spent in the 503rd Airborne Infantry, I guess I could be called an instructor of sorts. Maybe I better get these weak women around here 'pumpin' iron' and squeezin' those heavy spring hand exercisers! That might do the trick! When you get some ammo to spare, and it may become harder TO GET soon, please let a few of the ladies at the range try your P-64 and let the forum know how they like it. Remember, have them - load 6 rds. in the mag. all by themselves, pull back and release the slide, drop the hammer w/the safety, fire double action first shot, then 5 more, remove the mag w/the slide locked back. Might be interesting. Good Shootin', it's a great sport! Tommy2
dusty62

Post by dusty62 »

I know my daughter, 16 y/o, who is an excellent shot with other guns, tried my P64 out and it was too much for her. She doesn't like it at all. She's 5'2" and about 115# and she said that she didn't feel comfortable shooting it. Too bad, cuz I was wanting to get her one, too, before she tried it out. Mine is still completely stock, though. Maybe with a hammer spring and recoil spring mod she'd find it a bit more bearable but for the time being I know first hand her opinion. I'm sure, though, that there are plenty of women out there who could handle a P64 with no more problem than their male counterparts. I'm not the biggest guy in the world (5'4" and about 140#) and I love the way the P64 feels, looks, and shoots.

dus'
electross

Post by electross »

I know some male shooters that don't like a P64. My son for one. He's not a whimpy guy, 6'2" 215 pounds, wrestled in High School and went to sectionals. He hates the little gun. I really think its what you work yourself up to. First time shooter may not be comfortable shooting a P64. Start on a nice 9mm semi then work your way towards a revolver, a .38 then .357. Then I would suspect most anyone could shoot a P64 and not flinch. Personnally, 25 rounds of the little bugger and I'm ready for something a little easier on the hand. (less sting) It boils down to the experience of the shooter. Ms donnerwetter has no problem, I've seen her shoot. My wife, no way. She just doesn't want to shoot. If she ever will, I doubt I would hand her a P64. Maybe a M&P 9 or one of my Sigs. Just my thoughts on the subject. ;)
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

My wife does well with the P-64 and I haven't changed out a thing. I think if it kicks you too hard put it down and go skip some rope!
Last edited by michaelap on February 16th, 2009, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
p64

Post by p64 »

My wife has a problem racking the slide and doesn't care for the trigger pull. She also finds the recoil a little bit harsh but not uncontrollable.
dusty62

Post by dusty62 »

electross wrote:I know some male shooters that don't like a P64. My son for one. He's not a whimpy guy, 6'2" 215 pounds, wrestled in High School and went to sectionals. He hates the little gun. I really think its what you work yourself up to. First time shooter may not be comfortable shooting a P64. Start on a nice 9mm semi then work your way towards a revolver, a .38 then .357. Then I would suspect most anyone could shoot a P64 and not flinch. Personnally, 25 rounds of the little bugger and I'm ready for something a little easier on the hand. (less sting) It boils down to the experience of the shooter. Ms donnerwetter has no problem, I've seen her shoot. My wife, no way. She just doesn't want to shoot. If she ever will, I doubt I would hand her a P64. Maybe a M&P 9 or one of my Sigs. Just my thoughts on the subject. ;)
I believe you are right. We were looking at some guns online and she seemed really interested in one of Beretta's small guns. She's more interested in something to take to the range and use for plinking away at a target, which I have no probs with because in the end, thats how you get to be a decent shot, comfortable shooting, and competent overall with a firearm. So, will probably start combing the market for something like that for her.

dus'
polypet

Post by polypet »

My wife can't even pull the slide on it. We are now looking for a S&W revolver for her (a model 640 with a laser grip).
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

polypet,

A very wise decision indeed! Many people (and I'm sure not going to say just women!) like a small, lightweight, short barreled revolver for carry and home defence. If recoil bothers a person, use lead bullet target loads. I guess they still make them in .38 special. Since almost all cases of shooting in self defence occur at very close range (measured in feet not yards) you really don't need 'magnum power' or 6 to 18 round magazines to deal with an attacker. It's very unlikely that he OR she will be wearing body armor, if they are and you can't get a head shot in, you might just be "in a heap o trouble Boy or Gal"! Always remember, lethal force should only be used "In the Gravest Extreme" as one very knowledgeable gun writer intitled his book on the subject. It deals with what can happen AFTER you pull the trigger in self defence, courts, attorneys, possible civil suits, trama, etc.. Every gun owner should read this book! Look it up on the Internet. I sincerely hope that the only shooting that you or I will be doing will be at the range, having fun! Tommy2
trace

Post by trace »

I got my better half a Walther p22 for her small hand. She has enough to deal with in that new tech gun and I would not even have her try (as a new shooter) the p64 since she would probably never shoot again. I see more women at the range shooting all kinds of weapons and it's great to see. Everyone should train and be comfortable with whatever they shoot. Hell, I know I've told this one before about the two young Navy Seals training beside me at the range using Sigs. I let them shoot the p64 and they had gloves on and replied " that takes some getting used to"!! It's like having a pistole grip on your 12 guage. I'ts good for looks and space but it's gonna leave your hand soar for a while. I'm waiting for good grips from a site member and I put the wolf springs on my 73 and I haven't had one problem at all with ammo or anything after at least 1500 rounds!!
Once I get the gun set up to be as comfortable as possable I think it would be fun for anyone, since most of the guys I've had shoot mine, don't want to keep on shooting it, Ha Ha......