bullet molds for the Makarov

Info, pictures, advice...
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

Does anyone make a round nose flat point bullet mold for the Makarov? I know Lee makes a 95 grain round nose, but for self-defense loads I like a hard cast round nose flat point bullet. If there aren't any molds for sale is there any were to get hard cast round nose flat point bullets.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

brianintheup

not that I know of , that 95 grn LEE bullet weigh's a little more than 95 grns mine weigh out to be 100.9 grns

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

Norm

I figured if anyone knew of a mold it would be you. I read on the form of different bullet sizing. Some size to .363 and others .365. What do you recommend? I know Lee claims that you don't need to size there bullets. Just tumble them in Alox. I size all of my .357 cast bullets, but I shoot with some guys that don't size their cast bullets. I realize a lot of it has to do with how fast your pushing the bullet. Right now I am loading my Makarov with 4 grains of Bullseye.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

brianintheup wrote:Norm

I figured if anyone knew of a mold it would be you. I read on the form of different bullet sizing. Some size to .363 and others .365. What do you recommend? I know Lee claims that you don't need to size there bullets. Just tumble them in Alox. I size all of my .357 cast bullets, but I shoot with some guys that don't size their cast bullets. I realize a lot of it has to do with how fast your pushing the bullet. Right now I am loading my Makarov with 4 grains of Bullseye.
brianintheup

I recommend .363 so they won't hang up in the mag , I use a lyman 450 lubesizer ,
I personally don't like Bullseye powder to easy to get a double charge, and it put to much stress on the cases, if you want a good bullet that mushes up real nice , hard cast some pure lead

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Norm, do you have problems with barrel leading with pure lead bullets?
G.R.
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

Norm

What are your favorite loads? I used bullseye because that's what I had on hand. I tried three different loads and 4 grains provided the best results. I haven't chronographed it yet but it should have a velocity between 950 and 1000. Which is in the ballpark of Hornady and Corbons loads. (Hornady 95-gr. XTP--979; Corbon 95-gr. JHP +P--1121) Bullseye works good in my snub nose. It pushes a 158 grain bullent at 900 ft/sec. So I figured I would start with bullseye.

Do you use unique, 231, or something different?
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

gunneyrabbit

I shoot lead bullets and don't have a problem with leading. Some barrels lead easier than others but if you hand lap the barrel it can take care of that problem. I learned to cast bullets from a guy that has been casting since 1950. If you don't like pure lead or wheel weights (95% lead; 1/2%; tin 4%; 1/4% arsenic), you can mix approximately 9 lbs. wheel weights to 1 lbs. 50/50 solder and you get close to #2 Alloy. I have found that a good bullet lube is the key to not getting leading. I have had leading one time in my .38 and bullet lube was the culprit.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

brianintheup wrote:Norm

What are your favorite loads? I used bullseye because that's what I had on hand. I tried three different loads and 4 grains provided the best results. I haven't chronographed it yet but it should have a velocity between 950 and 1000. Which is in the ballpark of Hornady and Corbons loads. (Hornady 95-gr. XTP--979; Corbon 95-gr. JHP +P--1121) Bullseye works good in my snub nose. It pushes a 158 grain bullent at 900 ft/sec. So I figured I would start with bullseye.

Do you use unique, 231, or something different?
brianintheup

I use unique or 231 a mid load of 4 grns , it shoots good no leading and works the gun good to

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

GR
like brianintheup said ,a good bullet lube and keep to fps down to around 950 fps and no problems

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I was curious and searched available bullets for loading the 9x18.
I found the Speer jacketed sized at .364. The others, Hornady jacketed, Berrys plated and Meister cast, are all sized to .365.
You would be hard pressed to find .363 bullets. But, if you are looking for a standard (non custom) sizer die for your Lyman or RCBS luber/sizer, .363 is the largest you will find for the 9x18.
My Lee mold throws a bullet just over .366. I slugged the barrel of my PA-63 a while back and found the groove diameter to be .366. Common theory would suggest a cast bullet diameter of .367. My mold doesn't cast that big. Being I put a box of Meister cast .365 through the PA-63 and the P-64 without issue, I felt .366 was worth a try. I turned a custom size die to produce .366 bullets. This basically cleans up the base of the bullets and lubes them. They function without fail in my PA-63 and both P-64s.
If your mold throws .366 bullets, you could pretty much lube them and be done. If you have a chamber that won't accept them or an out of spec magazine you can always size them smaller.
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

donnerwetter58

That's what I was going to do. I plan on getting a lee mold and use alox and keep them under 1000 ft/sec. It's good to know that others are shooting .366 bullets though.

I just changed the main spring and recoil spring and I am looking forward to getting back to the range and shoot a few 100 rounds.

brianintheup
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

brianintheup,
The one thing I failed to mention is I have used Starline 9x18 brass for all of my reloads. Using cut down 9x19 may give you a case with a thicker wall thickness. The chamber has to accomodate not only the bullet diameter but the case thickness as well. I'll have to measure the overall diameter of the loaded round when I get the chance.
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

donnerwetter58,

I have 9X18 hornady brass and winchester brass, as well as cut down 9mm. The overall with, I believe, cannot exceed .391. Thanks for the heads up though.

Brianintheup
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

Has anyone ever gotten cast bullets from King Shooters Supply? http://www.betterbullets.com
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

Lee will make a custom bullet mold for a set up fee of 100 dollars and then the two cavity mold is 26 dollars and the six cavity mold is 52 dollars. Are any of you interested in a round nose flat point bullet mold? We could evenly split the set up fee and then you buy the mold. Or if there are 25 of us that would like the mold Lee will wave the set up fee.

brianintheup