bullet molds for the Makarov

Info, pictures, advice...
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

I have a picture of the mold design but I can't figure out how to post the picture. It would be a 100gr bullet. The basic shape is that of a Hornady hollow point without the hollow point.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

these are the one's LEE mould make right now

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

Thanks for the picture. I want those bullets with a flat nose. Most semi-wad cutter bullets today are called "Keith" bullets, but the design is not correct. A true Keith bullet has a long nose with a large meplat. Why did he use this design? The relatively sharp edges of the flat nose and shoulder cut tissue, rather than pushing it aside like a typical round nosed bullet, which results in more tissue damage and faster incapacitation of the target. I can't make a true Keith bullet for the Makarov, but a RNFP bullet is as close as I can come. In my opinion this style of bullet is the best style for all types of shooting (target, self-defense, and hunting).

Brian
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

this is Keith bullet in a 45 long Colt its a 265 grn bullet

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

Beautiful bullets :) I shoot the same style bullet in a .357 158 gr.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I have a mould for that in that style yoo, just not a big fan of the 38 or 357

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

The first handgun I ever shot was a custom 357. I was 11 or 12 years old. I thought it would be nice to have one and left it at that. Then when I was 18 I bought a lever action .357. I have always liked lever action gun and 357 bullet were cheaper that 30-30 bullets. I like the round. I think its a good middle of the road round.

Brian
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

Here is a picture of the bullet design

Brian
Last edited by brianintheup on February 22nd, 2009, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

this is 235 grn 45 cal

one loaded

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

Are you loading those in a Makarov?

If no one is interested I will take a .358 105 gr SWC mold and have it drilled out to .366

Brian
Last edited by brianintheup on February 22nd, 2009, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

no
thats a 45 cal bullet
I have also one in the 40 cal thats the same style

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

i might be in on the lee mold if we get the right number of guys that wants one. let me know.
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

frankmako

I will let you know
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

Brian,
There would be more to modifying a mold than "drilling it out".
Even if you could find a drill at .366 (closest standard is U at .368), running the drill into the .358 mold would not only increase to diameter of the hole but remove the smaller diameter ring used for creating the lube groove. You would have a smooth sided bullet. The other option is to find someone good with a lathe that can turn the mold on bullet center, and with the right tool, increase the diameter of the bullet without disturbing the lube groove area. If you have to pay a machine shop to do this you may as well put up the cash for the custom mold from Lee.
The current Lee mold works very well and is available for under $20.
Your first post indicates you want a mold for defense loads. Most folks avoid handloads for defensive carry use. With factory loaded ammo you avoid any potential legal issues that may arise over your use of home brewed super killer whamo blamo rounds. Hopefully none us us will need to defend ourselves with our handguns but if we do I don't want to become the criminal because of handloaded ammo.
Just a few thoughts...have a good weekend.
Dave
brianintheup

Post by brianintheup »

Dave,
I am well aware of everything that you said. For the most part I use Hornady XTP for carry ammo. I have a friend that is a member of International Defensive Pistol Association. He is actually one of their instructors. The only round he carries for self-defense is cast bullets with flat noses. Talk to guys in jail/prison that have been shot and ask them which bullets did the most damage. The hole isn't as big with cast bullets by to make a center mass shot with a cast bullet and it is going to break the spine, thus, stopping the attacker. The "problem" with cast bullets or even FMJ for that matter is that they go through the individual. Thus, you better be aware of what is on the other side.

I live in the middle of no where. So my carrying of a hand gun is more for going in to the woods and hiking. I am in the process of getting a 1911 and converting it to a 460 rowland for this purpose. For different occasions I use different guns. But I seek to have RNFP bullets for every gun. Maybe I'm just strange or something. Thanks for your input.

brian