Not sure what to make of this extraction problem

Info, pictures, advice...
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

So last night, I got the urge to try out some of the snap caps I got from Makarov.com before they went out of business.

Loaded one in the mag, seated the mag, racked the slide, pulled the trigger. So far, so good.

Then I went to work the slide to extract the snap cap, and the slide wouldn't move. It was bound up tighter than the hubs of hell.

I got out another P-64 to look inside and see if I could see anything that would bind up to keep the slide from coming back. Couldn't see anything.

Picked up the bound one. Grip in right hand. Left hand on slide with thumb & forefinger toward the hammer and my palm around the slide, and PUUUSHED!

The slide came open. Something sliced my middle finger. There's the snap cap in the chamber missing a piece that the extractor had pulled off. I had to push it out with a brass rod from the muzzle end.

So, now I'm wondering if my snap cap was too big, or my chamber has something in it. I've had occasional troubles with the slide not going all the way forward in shooting. These snap caps worked well in a Makarov.

Anyone have any thoughts? It's that occasional failure to go into battery that's kept me from carrying this gun.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

weetabix

you could have a bur in the chamber, take a bore mop and some polishing compound put it in a drill and spin it clean

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

I know where to get bore mops, but where do you get polishing compound?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

weetabix

I known guys that have use valve grinding compound ,there is bore polishing compound, I
think you could even use the red car polishing compound,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

weetabix, It sounds like the firing pin pushed (jammed) the snap cap up in the bore a bit. I hope it doesn't happen again! I've been using cigarette filters as snap caps for years on exposed hammer semi-autos. Just cut one about ½" long and place under the hammer and dry fire all you want! I think that someone else mentioned this trick somewhere in the forum, and here I thought that I invented it! I highly recommend the filters from 'Omega' little cigars ($22.89 for two cartons! regular, menthol or cherry at your friendly tobacco shop). :-)
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

weetabix

It might help out alot if you took a chamber casting, it would then be alot easier to see the problem.
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

You guys will make a gunsmith out of me, yet! :D

Next dumb question: How do you make a chamber casting?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Last edited by normsutton on February 4th, 2009, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage