First Range Report...Mixed Results

Info, pictures, advice...
olympus

Post by olympus »

I finally made it to the range to shoot my little "pole". I guess I didn't know what I was expecting. I've never shot a Makarov caliber before. I know people have been talking about the recoil, but I really wasn't expecting it. Even after I swapped out to the 22 lb recoil spring, this little baby has some muzzle flip to it! I shot 100 rounds through it and ended up doing some bleeding. The first thing I noticed is that my gun shoots about 6 inches high about 3 or 4 inches to the left very constistently. I shoot pistols pretty decent and I was even using a 6 o'clock sight picture. I would have to aim 6 inches low at least. Out of 100 rounds of brown bear, I only had one FTF. I can't exactly figure out what cut me, but I got a little cut on my trigger finger right at the bottom of my nail. I guess it got pinched in the trigger somewhere. The web of my hand was beet red after about 50 rounds. Is this normal?
big54r

Post by big54r »

that's about normal as far as I know.

when I 1st shot mine I didn't run as many rounds but it sure got my attention...but I liked it alot! ;) 8-)

I haven't changed any springs yet but plan on getting a recoil spring and any others that I may deem necessary when I finish reading the modifications section.

as far as accuracy, what range/distance where you shooting at?
My accuracy was good at 7 yds and decent at around 10 yds.
trace

Post by trace »

Olympus.
It's a fixed barrel so your gonna get a buck out of this. Meat and potatos gun! I have the extra power recoil and the 18lb hammer springs and this helps. I will eventually get some kind of grip to make that squair end frame (beaver tail) not work a hole in my thumb web knuckle. If I hold this gun with my thumb a little lower it helps. I don't have this one ready for a carry piece yet but I only expect it to be a back up. I carry a Tarus p111 and just bought a Baretta Px4 Storm and am looking into carry options for it. I don't have the accuracy problems you mentioned. At 7 yrds. I'm pretty much on where I put it. After that I don't expect much. It's better than a tilt up 3" or my Tarus but the new Baretta has spoiled me. Ask Norm about sighting. I hope the grip will help me and if that doesn't help I may get bored and start filing on it.
olympus

Post by olympus »

As far as accuracy, I started out at 10 yards first and that's when I noticed it was more high and to the left. I brought it in to 7 yards and it was still slightly high. At 7 yards, I struggled to keep 7 rounds in the head of the sillouette target. I had a lot of forehead shots and some cheek shots. I guess my .45 has me spoiled on accuracy. Another thing I noticed was that I'm going to have to do something with the front sight color. When shooting against the black background, it was tough to see the front sight because it didn't contrast much.
roynh2000

Post by roynh2000 »

i put some red on my rear sights,have same problem with front.I am going to do that white for a good sight picture. Roy
olympus

Post by olympus »

I guess it's a good thing I went and bought that 500 rounds of ammo from ATG. I think all I'll be shooting in the future will be about 50 rounds at a time. At that rate, my stock should last me quite a few years!
sapo

Post by sapo »

Took mine to the range yesterday in the rain. It shoots fine. At 15 yds It is just a tad low but well centered. recoil is more than the Walther PPK in .380. I shoot my P-64 single action most of the time. The single action is great, maybe a little light. Fun little toy. Sub-Gun is a Full Auto MK-760, copy of a S&W-76, it runs Great as long as you dont run Wolf 9 MM in it. Feeds HP's, lead RN's FMJ's just dont like Wolf! :o

Last edited by sapo on January 25th, 2009, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

yes my old instructers used to say CENTER MASS is good.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Sapo, I see a P64, S&W 422, mag for a 10/22 and I'm not sure what that semi auto is! But I say this because I went to the range today and shot my 10/22, S&W 422 and P64!! 8-)

Great minds think alike!!

I forgot that the P64 hurts like hell! :'( I haven't shot it in a long time! Hit high and left but corrected that fast!
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

If you can keep them center mass at 7yds, thats all you need. I trust mine. Sure I can shoot my 1911 better, but at least the P-64 is always there, plus I use a kel-tec32 as a back-up.
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

is that some brown bear mak ammo? How do you like it?
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

olympus,

+2 with anjdrifter & grayfox, these P-64's are not target pistols, so center mass is what counts with them, practice very is important if you want to CCW with the P-64. For my old eyes and the short sight radius on the P-64 when I practice with my P-64, I point shoot, I forget about aiming.

This chart is not a exact science but is helpful for possibly correcting a problem we all might have in shooting at any type target, anyway, long ago it helped me and later some of the people I have helped learn to shoot. As for the infamous P-64 bite, correcting your grip with practice and a different set of grips will make a big difference. As for me, I haven't changed a thing on my P-64's except the grips, but I understand why some do change springs, but for me I prefer the heavy DA trigger, it works as a safety for me because I don't use the safety on mine and I keep one in the tube, pull, cock and fire is the way I practice, and practice, practice, practice is the key here.

Sapo,

Nice looking table, and fine shooting in my opinion.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
olympus

Post by olympus »

Thanks for the picture of the chart. You're probably right that I was anticipating the recoil. But I remember my very first shot with the gun and it was high and to the left too and I had no idea what the recoil would be. Maybe subconcsiously from reading all the posts about it's kick that I anticipated that one too. I guess maybe I also imagined that it would be as accurate as my 1911. I can definitely keep them all in center mass though.

It's the head shots for fun that I have trouble with. I'd never do that in real life, but it's fun to do on a target. I have some flyers with the P-64 but my 1911 will hit nasal cavity almost every time.

I carry my P-64 with one in the tube and the safety off as well. The DA pull on mine even after the 18lb spring change is enough to convince me that it's going to take some work for it to accidentally go off inside the holster.
sugosugita

Post by sugosugita »

I just got back from the range and shot my p64 for the first time, it sure does have some kick! But it's a fun gun. I found that I shot more comfortably one handed. Just seemed to get my hand around it more solidly than trying to get my left hand in there too.

I seemed to put bullets consistently under where I was aiming, I was wondering if you guys think the p64 has different sights than more modern dot sights. I had to put the sight picture on top of, or covering, whatever point I was aiming at.

Then again, could be the recoil and me flinching!!!
olympus

Post by olympus »

I don't use a hand over hand grip when I shot pistols. I was always taught to hold the gun in your right hand and use your left to support the bottom. The left should support all of the weight so you can concentrate on trigger only with the right. That might not be the right way, it was just how I was taught and what I've grown comfortable with. So with that grip, I've never had any problems using small frame pistols.