WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Info, pictures, advice...
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Post by Ketchman »

And the naked sheep OG17 is talking about is that all the sheep out here have been shorn in the last 2 months si they have no coats, and are officially .......neked.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 »

I got to all 48 states but never D.C. I enjoyed just about everyplace I went but had a special feeling for the Pacific north West. As a history buff I went out of my way to go by and sometimes stop at historic locations. I often went by without being able to stop & see places like Gettysburg. Wyoming has a large range of terrain and I would love to look it over again.
Vintage Paul, Fullerton, CA

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure . . .
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 »

I went to the Turner's that has my P-64 last night and got to fondle it while getting the paperwork processed for the purchase. The 30 days has expired from the last gun purchase (a Bersa Firestorm in 380) and now the 10 day wait for the purchase of this P-64. Only in CA!

The P-64 is in very nice condition with just a little holster wear and a nice minty bore. It was made in 1969. It is supposed to have two magazines but only one is in the box. Turner's is looking into that. Should they be unable to find another one, does anyone know where Polish magazines can be found? I bought one on Ebay and when it arrived found it was an oriental repop.

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure . . .
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Gunbrokers has quite a few right now but cheap they are not.
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 »

Thanks for that, I'll check. I rarely by on GB because the prices are usually pretty stiff.

Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 »

Wow, you're not just whistling Dixie about the prices. $50.00 including the ride PLUS 5% for PayPal fees. I think I'll wait & see how the oriental repop works out . . .

Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Let us know how that does work out. And we would.love to have you back to.look it all over again.
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 »

I picked up the P-64 this weekend and am very pleased with it. It is in very good shape. Used, but gently and with only a little holster wear. The bore is minty and only slight signs of wear on the mechanical bits. It was lightly oiled and has no trace of any heavy preservative. It will need only a light clean and lube to be ready for the range.

The single action trigger is just what I would expect but the DA trigger is even worse than I could imagine. It is HARD to pull, far too hard for any practical use. Not only is it stiff, it is variable. Sometimes the pull is just very stiff, other times it feels like the trigger is glued in place. I'll be off to the Wolfe Spring page shortly.

I have to mention how well made this little pistol is. The millwork is smooth and the finish is a nice deep blue/black. Its not a S&W revolver, but far nicer than needed for a military service pistol. These P-64s were obviously a point of pride. While standing at the counter waiting for the paperwork to be processed, I looked over the modern pistols on display under glass. Nothing, not even the high end shootin' irons came close to the finish on the old P-64.

Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Very cool that you now have posession. Now for a trip to the range. And let us know how that goes please.
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 »

I see that in addition to the hammer spring kits Wolff offer a recoil spring set. I may just put off ordering the hammer springs until I can get a little range time in and make sure that all is well on the recoil side. I have no reason to suspect otherwise as the spring tension of the P-64 seems roughly the same as for a Makarov.

Does the P-64 often need a replacement recoil spring?

Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 »

Thanks Ketchman, I hope to get to the range this week or next. I'm very curious how it will fit my hand. A three finger hold seems crowded and a two finger hold a bit uncomfortable. I find the East German Makarov very comfortable.

Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

get the calibration spring pak. Multiple spring weights so you can experiment and they are not expensive at all. And a 3 finger hold is needed unless you have large bratwursts for fingers like a buddy of mine who could not get a 3rd finger on that grip no matter how hard he tried.
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 »

Ketchman wrote:get the calibration spring pak. Multiple spring weights so you can experiment and they are not expensive at all. And a 3 finger hold is needed unless you have large bratwursts for fingers like a buddy of mine who could not get a 3rd finger on that grip no matter how hard he tried.
You are recommending the POLISH P-64 9x18 MAKAROV RP HAMMR SPRING PAK not the POLISH P64 RECOIL CALIBRATION PAK? I just want to make sure I understand which one you mean. The recoil spring does not affect the DA trigger pull?

OG17

Post by OG17 »

The recoil spring has no part in the trigger pull since it's only attached to the barrel and not the trigger, trigger bar, or hammer. The recoil spring assists with recoil and extraction. The Calibration Pak is only for the recoil spring. The Hammer Spring Pak are for the hammer spring. You will need both. Get the packs that have all the spring weights which allows you to experiment.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Yeah, what OG17 said. Perfectly put.