WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Info, pictures, advice...
wlockridge

Re: WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Post by wlockridge »

Ketchman, thanks for the kind words, It's refreshing. I feel lucky to have stumbled across this forum. I hardy EVER spend time posting on other forums, as I said most end up being a "mines bigger than yours contest" and the topic gets lost by about the third post. I have to say that this forum is truly a pleasure. The people are helpful and friendly and that's a rarity these days. As you said, it really does feel like a brotherhood. I'll be spending a lot of time here (to the chagrin of my wife I'm sure :D ). It's still taking me awhile to figure out how things work such as posting photos but I'll figure it out. I have to give a great deal of credit to the moderator(s), he/she does an excellent job. The forum is well run, well organized, and on point. I can tell a lot of thought and effort went into it. I really don't understand what a spokesman is but if there's any way I can contribute I'll be more than happy to do so. Thank you for your kind reply, I don't get that much. Most of the time when you put your occupation down as a retired policeman you don't get many replies. Thanks again, stay safe.
Bill Lockridge
"Shoot first, shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these three things, out of 6 rounds you'll have 3 times as much ammo as you need."
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I spent a LOT of time working with and around LEO in a past career and I have a lot of respect and appreciation for them and what they do. When I spoke of you being a spokesperson I was thinking of a Pro Rights spokesperson for us owners, especially the quiet ones. You are able to put words / thoughts together succintley(sp?) and coherently without running on and in a respectfull manner, unlike some of us who tend to get a bit offensive (without meaning to) when speaking of something we are passionate about.
If you have any problems ghetting things to work on this site, just send up the flare and you will get all the help you can handle, and almost all of it spot on. Again, wlcome to the Brotherhood. :hi:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Ketchmnan,
I guess I wasn't thinking when I asked what a spokesman was, what I meant to ask was how I could use that talent to help the group. There are many different venues that one could use but my question was how could I put that particular talent to use to help THIS group in particular. Maybe that's short sighted but it's my opinion that, for the most part, you aren't going to change people's minds with respect to gun ownership. I think what you can do is speak up and instill in others the courage to speak to others outside the group in a non-confrontational manner, about the importance of responsible gun ownership. I'm sure that there are other active duty and retired police officers on this forum that feel the way that I do, if they didn't, they wouldn't be on here in the first place. The problem is that if you feel the way I do with regards to the armed citizen and speak up about it in front of your peers, you run the very real risk of being ostracized by your fellow officers. It's called the Superman syndrome. Some policemen believe we can save everyone every time and we both know that's a fallacy. It's my position that every eligible citizen should have the option of being trained in combat pistol shooting and those of us that wish to do so should be able to carry our weapons in any state just the same as a driver's license allows us to operate our vehicles in compact states. As I said before I always considered the legally armed citizen to be an asset rather than a threat. I feel that we, as a group, have a responsibility to carry that message. People should have good information that they can use to make an informed decision and it takes people in positions of authority to carry that message to them, otherwise they get their decision making information from the media and that will be the information that the media thinks will garner them the most readership. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a group meeting in a mutually accessible location to discuss these issues in person. It's going to take more than a few messages on a computer screen to accomplish the goals I mentioned. At any rate it's late and It's time for bed but it's something to think about. Stay safe my friend.

Shoot first, shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things with six shots then you'll have two thirds more ammo than you need.
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

wlockridge and any others reading,

I agree 100%. And I think that if you, with your obvious talent for presenting informative, rational, objective ideas were a spokesperson for those of us gun owners who are not as articulate then maybe we would not sound like the dim witted, knuckle dragging, low brow unresponsable types that the other side wants to make us out to be. This link will take you to a recent post I made in regards to this issue:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5081&p=47707#p47707

However, I am afraid the the large majority of the "sheep" in this country would be very "afraid" of armed non LEO / non military types roaming at will throughout society even though I think your idea quite capital. :(
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

Ketchman,good day.
I did follow the link to the post you gave me and realized that I had read it before. I thought it was well written and that you made some excellent points. The "people" who I tend to refer to as “the sheeple” on my less than congenial days, tend to react out of fear, the majority of which is stoked by the government, for their own benefit, and the media who simply want to increase their readership by any means necessary. Remember a couple years back, when swine flu was going to become a pandemic and decimate the country? Of course it failed to materialize but people have short memories. Now the media headlines again shout “code red flu season” with some doctors actually advising their patients to stay home if they suspect they have the flu and treat it themselves rather than coming into the office and infecting other patients????? Although it's hard to resist, I think we need to be careful of denigrating people for being fearful as they are fed a steady diet of dire catastrophes that are just around the corner almost daily. They feel helpless and vulnerable and will latch onto any idiotic, knee jerk idea that they think will make them “safer”. They have never been taught to think critically and calmly asses the threat, they just panic. For example I (and I imagine yourself as well) know that the airport “security” and I use the term loosely, that is administered by our selfless and brave TSA agents, is nothing more than a dog and pony show designed to calm the sheep while making it look as though the government is actually doing something useful other than pounding untold billions of dollars down another government created rat hole. I said when the TSA was first established, that this job was going to be a child molesters wet dream and I've been proven right time and again. Men will stand by obediently as their wives, mothers, and daughters are pawed and groped by a minimum wage security guard more for their own prurient interests than security purposes. It's a civil rights violation as well as a sex crime and yet continues unabated. When I saw how many people were willing to stand for such defilements I knew then what you know now, the public at large will not defend themselves from any threat no matter how heinous.
You and I hail from another generation when children, especially young men, were taught to shoot and handle firearms safely by our fathers and even in the Boy Scouts. We were taught to defend ourselves from the bullies of the world rather than run crying to the nearest authority figure. The right to self defense was ingrained in us. Today children are taught to run and hide. When I choose a career in Law Enforcement my motivation was to defend and protect those that couldn't or wouldn't defend and protect themselves. It was an eye opening experience, I had no inkling that there would be so many. Sadly, when I attended the police academy in the early 80's, more than half of my classmates had never handled a firearm in their lives and fully 80% had never even seen a shotgun let alone fired one. While it was quite funny to watch at the time, I also knew then that it was a portend of things to come. While I know it is frustrating we, as citizens must attempt to educate the public while resisting the oh so powerful urge to chastise them for their weaknesses. Confrontational attitudes don't serve us well and only reinforce the notion that we are gun toting lunatics. We are sometimes our own worst enemies. I have friends that love nothing more than to show off their weapons and brag about how many thousands of rounds of ammunition that they have stockpiled for the coming apocalypse. I think that we ourselves sometimes are complicit in breeding the publics fear of us. We need remember that a good many of the current crop of people have never been called upon to actually defend the constitution or our rights as Americans as that last war we fought for those principles was WW2 and most of those gallant folks have long since passed from this world. While not questioning the bravery or patriotism of the young men and women of our armed services deployed around the world, the wars we fight today are for political and financial purposes. Were that not the case, we would not be losing or rights here at home. As I have often told my friends who think that they are making themselves ready for the coming insurrection by bragging about the things I mentioned above, what they have effectively done is to compromise their security. The may as well place a sign on their front doors that read “guns and ammo here” so that the government won't have to go to the trouble of searching for them. In my humble opinion, stealth is the friend of he truly prepared. Stay safe.
PS: I accidentally posted this to the "stop the coming ban" forum as well because my half assed internet service kicked me offline as I was posting. Sorry for any misunderstanding, my intent was to answer you directly. Oh well, I'll learn.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Bill,

ever hear the phrase "the true test of another man's intelligence is how much he agree's with you?" Well, you pass with flying colors! And while I do not think I gave serious example of my age, you pegged it correctly. I was directly present at the afterbirth of the TSA takeover of "airport security", literally. I was present at my hometown airport (I was part of a group providing perimeter security because of 911) the day all the "old" security personnel, who had performed so badly, were "upgraded" by the presentation of new shirts! Literally, that was all that was done, new shirts with the TSA logo! And the background checks were not completed until afterwards! And 90% of those that were on duty before 911 were allowed to stay even after the background checks were completed. We have neither the space nor the time for me to go into all I have witnessed nor what I think of all the Governmental security measures taken since 911 in the name of "the public security", especially the Patriot act. Now there is naming the wolf a sheep in order the keep the flock looking the other way!Anyway, I am starting to run at the mouth. Bill, welcome aboard the forum and if I can help in any way please let me know or PM me about anything that you wish to spout about that the brothers may find just two old men whining about.
jatku1

Post by jatku1 »

Greetings all,

New member here. I came across the board while researching Polish pistols to collect. My first 9mm mak was a P-83, the "Eagle" edition I picked up for $250. It had some wear, as if someone used it for a carry pistol. The second is a P-64 I got last week, minted in '69. It is in excellent condition, no visible signs of wear, and was $220 (I paid a premium since the gun looked amazing. I took them both to my gunsmith, and she said they were in amazing condition for their age.

I tried to take them to the range twice, but both times I wasn't able to shoot them (long lines then closed for a funeral). Hopefully I can get out this week and test fire them.

I got a C&R to help with the collecting, and I found it an incredibly easy process. Took 5 weeks to the day from when they cashed my check to getting the papers in the mail. I hope to get a CCW permit in my home state (Kansas) in the next few weeks, and will be using the p-83 as a carry pistol along with a CZ-75 P-07 Duty (an amazingly fun gun to shoot).

I have purchased the spring kits from Wolff, and I'm looking into getting the extended mag release from the member here who makes them.

What ammo does everyone shoot and use if they carry? I got a few boxes of Fiocchi from my range and some S&B online. I got Hornady Custom for carry use.

Well, I just wanted to introduce myself. I've already found the site quite useful.

Cheers,
Jason
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Jason.

I use Silver Bear and the Hornady Defense.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Jason, welcome to the Brotherhood. I too use Silver Bear and Hornady defense. Also shoot LVE FMJ for practice.
greatplainswilly

Post by greatplainswilly »

Howdy everyone from good ol Oregon. Just purchased my first P64 a bit ago. Switched out some springs from wolff and its a good little shooter for CC. Trigger pull went down but the trigger still feels a bit rough, like it needs to be polished. What ya think? Sorry got sidetracked!
Attachments
IMG_20130104_153227.jpg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum, unfortunatly your pic is not showing up.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Fox84

Post by Fox84 »

Glad to find this site as I love to collect relic pistols. I have a few and would love to try a P64 if one can be had. I already have 2 CZ82's and plenty of 9X18 rds so it seems like a great idea to me.

Thanks
Barry from Va
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Barry.

Classic arms has them in stock. http://www.classicfirearms.com/c-r-eligible

And you can check the Trader here on the forum.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Airpirate

Post by Airpirate »

Just ordered my first gun with my new FFL-03, and it is a P64 from Classic. I've been reading about the P64, and it looks like it will be a great "carry" gun. It should be fun to change springs, and see if some tuning can be done. My 9 x 18 ammo is LVE, and I also shoot an East German Makarov and a Glock 19. Thanks to all who have contributed to this forum.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

AARRR welcome to the forum matey. :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary