WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Info, pictures, advice...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

can't remember if we ever started a WELCOME & MEM, INFO thread that had a sticky on it ,but better late than never
old and new please write a little about you , you can even post a picture of your self

to all new members and old

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on January 5th, 2009, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I have been a member of this forum about 4 month's after its conception , it was the first forum that I'd joined ,
I didn't even own a P-64 with in 2 weeks I had 2 of , 2 month's later I had 4

I have been doing my own gun smithing and reloading since from 1973
I have built my own computers since 1992
I been a dental lab tec. since 1970
I went to MMA ( Miami Military Academy ) 1964 to 1968
I was in the army reserve's form 1968 to 1977
so I have a military mind

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on January 5th, 2009, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
olympus

Post by olympus »

I've been a member here for about a month or so. I stumbled onto this place when I was looking up info on Makarovs. I didn't originally intend to even buy a P-64, but after doing some reading on here I was convinced I needed one. I joined here and bought one within a few days later.

I'm a big gun enthusiast. I love to shoot rifles in the summer and pistols in the winter. I'm currently about 90% done with a Mauser conversion project. I took an M48 and turned it into a bench rifle. All that is left now is having the barreled action reblued. I still have to mount a scope too. But that has been a project for about a year now. I'm looking forward to getting it up and going. I also just started making custom grips for 1911 pistols.

I work for a non-profit organization and I'm a case manager for disabled clients. I've been doing this for about two years. I graduated college in December of 2006 with a bachelors in political science. I'm also about 60% through getting my pilot's license. I'm just trying to accrue hours now when my bank account will allow it. My family owns a large row crop farm in southeast Missouri where I've lived pretty much all my life. I'm a recent transplant to the Kansas City, Missouri area but I plan on going back home in time.

fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

8-)

Hi, I'm Fritzhund, but people call me Mark.

I grew up in Philadelphia, but moved up country a few years back. I live on a 50 acre farm with my daughter Shannon, 5 guinea hens, 2 goats, 5 cows, 2 sheep, many deer, and a few foxes. One less fox this past weekend.

I am an Electro-Mechanical Technician for a large company. My trades include, but are not limited to: Electronics, Mechanics, Computers, Metalworking, Woodworking, and just general repair.

I have been a volunteer at the Philadelphia Folk Festival for over 20 years. For those of you that never heard of it, basically Woodstock occurs one mile from the farm every August for three days. The festival is the main reason I moved to where I live. Mud, rain, hippies, you got it. The music is slammin' though. Everything from good ole rock 'n roll to bluegrass, swing, dance, and the party does not stop for three days straight. Up all night. 30,000 people camp out there, every year! Three days off before to prepare, three days off after to rehab!

Anyway, I have met some really cool new friends here. This is a picture of anjdrifter and me taken last month at a gun shop in Delaware:

This is a picture of me with the Swiss K-31 out back:

This is a picture of my daughter Shannon with her first real rifle. Mossberg .22lr Plinkster, a trade I worked out with Al.

I fell upon this site after I bought my first P-64. The price was around $110 OTD with 2 mags and it was un-issued. I have been here ever since. At this point I own three, although I have bought and sold quite a few of them. Right now I have a 1968 and two 1975's. One of the 1975's is my carry gun. The other two are put away.

Welcome all newbies, and a Happy New Year to my old friends.

PM, email, or shoot a post if you would like to talk!

My quote at the bottom is from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter Thompson, my favorite author, one of the biggest gun collectors this country has ever seen. He kept a real, loaded, Gatling Gun on his front porch for years and years.

I have also never ridden in the front seat of a Crown Victoria!

;)

Fritzhund
Last edited by fritzhund on January 5th, 2009, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Hi all, I joined around the same time Norm did in 2006, I already had a P-64 when I joined, wound up with 5 before the fever broke, Now I just have two, '76 & '69, gave one to my son in law and sold one at a gun show and the other one to a member on this board. I still carry one or the other off and on one way or the other often.

I was born and raised in W. Kentucky where I still live, Retired from Kraft foods, Vietnam vet '67-'68. I collect WWI & WWII rifles and handguns, belong to a gun clubs and ranges here in Ky and one in Fla, and go to a lot of gun shows all over.

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
dusty62

Post by dusty62 »

Hello everyone. I'm so glad I found this forum/website. I have owned my P-64 for about a year and a half now, still just the one but I want to add to the family soon. I love it. It's a 1976 model.

I live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, about 12 miles from where I grew up. After high school I spent 12 years in the U.S.N. submarine service, followed by 13 years of work in the fitness industry and a short stint with the MIARNG. I'm a single dad, raising a 16 y/o daughter. We've had great times, the kid and I. We both enjoy shooting, though she is somewhat daunted by the handgun because of a nasty slide bite she got the first time she fired it. I now work at Bark River Knife & Tool, making knives and having a blast doing it.

I hope to get to know many of you here on the forum as I do enjoy chatting about the P-64 and learning all I can about it. Heck, just joined last night and have already added to my education! Thanks!

dus'
southbendin

Post by southbendin »

Hello everyone. Wow am I happy that I found this board! I'm 23 years old and live in South Bend, Indiana. My love for guns started last year when I won a Socom M-14 in a raffle at a local gun shop. I ended up selling that on gunbroker.com unfired and turned around the next day and purchased a DPMS AR-15 in the Squad Designated Marksman (SDM-R) format. I also have a Mosin-Nagant Carbine that I shoot often as well as a S&W Sigma .40 Pistol. I've been looking for a carry pistol for quite some time now and came across the Makarov, which led me to the Polish P-64. Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from this board!
mikeh1

Post by mikeh1 »

Greetings. I found this site searching for websites about the PA-63, and knowing that, you all let me stay anyway! I have only owned firearms since '05, starting with a Mosin M44, after seeing it constantly in ads from the local Big5 Sporting Goods store. I took the plunge, then got a M91/30. After that, I wanted a hangun. Found a French Sagem 1935S in 7.65 French Long, and was considering it until I found the ammo was obsolete and would cost $1 per rd. So I settled on a '48 S&W Pre-Mod 10 instead. I eventually found my PA-63 at a local gun show for $159. I also just got a Mossberg 500A 12 GA from a friend as a gift.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Good evening. I'm in north florida. Retired from USN after 27 yrs. I'm interested in all types of weapons as a hobby, and self defense. I do my research on what attract's me. Form, function, durability means everything to me. Beauty does not. I'm concerned does a weapon do it's job? Will it go BOOM when I need it to? You guys seem to be a pretty tight group, that's great. I'll read and ponder, then ask questions. You (collectively) have already told me what I needed to know. I' m ordering from J&G and Wolfe springs in the A.M. Thanks for sharing. If I can return the favor, let me know.
R/R
ilya1111

Post by ilya1111 »

Hello, averyone. I'm in NE Ohio, and a certified gun nut, for which I either thank or blame my dad. I'm 40, with 5 great kids and therefore no money! I just yesterday saw J&G's ad for the pretty little P-64. "Honey, installing the new kitchen cabinets myself will save WAY more than this gun costs..." (Good thing I'm a Handyman for a living.) Stumbled onto this site whilst Googling P-64ish info. Had no idea it's so popular! I've already learned a TON here! Thanks to everyone who's put up good info for us newbies.
jbabbler

Post by jbabbler »

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I researched this site when I was deciding on a CCW. Basically I decided that the choices out there were either cheap plastic guns, lower-powered .380s or a combination of the two. I have tried full-sized "sub compacts" like the XD9-SC and my current Winter-carry gun the Steyr S9.

I bought a PF9 and promptly sold it after the slide became so loose that the only thing keeping it from shaking further were the sides of the dust cover. I did get a P3at and still have it but am not very impressed with the overall ballistics of the .380 round out of a short barrel.

I am a history buff and own several Mil-Surplus rifles that I both shoot and hunt with. I hate having the "run of the mill" guns so it will be cool to have something different.

I wanted a round powerful enough to depend on and cheap enough to practice with. For me the 9x18 appears to meet both needs nicely. I have been looking at the CZ-82 (loved it but was too large for CCW) and the PA63 (liked it ok but read too many bad things about it) and just found the P64. I called all aorund town and the shops that do carry them were out so I haven't held or shot one of these yet. I am taking a leap of faith based on your opinions, articles and general knowledge base. Everything I read points toward it being a reliable gun with decent accuracy and excellent durability.

This is my current carry CCW. It's a little thick to carry in the summer...
John has a long mustache
tman11787

Post by tman11787 »

Greetings One and all...

Came across the site <2 weeks ago while looking for info one my 1st gun project...an FEG AP-MBP. You guys rock ! I'm enjoying the exchanges and pull together attitude to getting answers to questions for us newbies.

I was so impressed that I went out and ordered a P64 from J&G last week and now I'm the proud owner of a "like new" '69.

Is there a good post(s) on what should be done to take care of the awful DA pull ? It seems as if there are a few things to try before even trying new springs...like soaking the hammer and trigger in cleaner and lube. I'd like to get started ASAP. Links to the essentials would be great ! Looking forward to the exchange of info...

Kind regards,

Tman11787 (not to be confused with Thomas Mann 11...
dusty62

Post by dusty62 »

"Is there a good post(s) on what should be done to take care of the awful DA pull ?"

First, welcome. If you look under the Mods, fixes, and repairs topic you will find a lot of stuff about the D/A pull as well as a host of other information you might find helpful or at least interesting. You'll like the forum. Lots of good chat and knowledge to glean info from. Friendly folks, too! :) Have fun with your new P64.

dus'
rj

Post by rj »

Howdy fellows, just joined the forum and I have found a wealth of information here. Thanks to all that have contributed. Ordered 2 P64's today from J+G's. My son will get one of them after I have decided which one I want to keep.
msowl2

Post by msowl2 »

Hello, I am new to your forum as of today.. Went into our Gander Mountain Store looking for a small caliber gun for CCw when I ride my motorcycle..Came out owning a p64, liked the lightweight feel in my hands and the unusualness of the gun.
Haven't gotten to fire the weapon yet..looking forward to that tomorrow.
Normally I research like crazy before purchase, but this one just "felt" right.

My husban is of course wanting it for himself. maybe I'll let him once in awhile carry it!
Looking forward to learning more.