WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Info, pictures, advice...
DustOfMan

Re: WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Post by DustOfMan »

Hello all!

I wanted to start off by saying hello to the community on here. I have been reading the boards for a while, researching about the P-64. I recently got one from AIM, and am rather excited about the purchase.

My question comes from being a noob...to the P-64, and to shooting in general. I've noticed many "new P-64" member posts, but haven't really come across any that are "new P-64 owner/new gun owner". Thanks to the fine folks at AIM, I recently procured my first pistol and rifle, the P-64 and a Mosin Nagant 91/30. With the history these held, and the price point of each, it swayed me into an easy purchase. I am not an experienced shooter though, and honestly, feel a bit intimidated at this point in terms of care and maintenance.

When I got the 91/30, as with most of them, it was completely covered in cosmoline. I disassembled it completely, removed all of the gunk, and reassembled it. I have yet to fire the beast. When I received the P-64, it didn't seem to be in cosmoline. After removing the slide and magazine I did notice gunk inside of it, but not sure if it's grease or residual cosmoline. Should I completely disassemble it, to make sure everything is clean and then re-grease and oil it? Working with all of the small parts of the pistol seems a bit more daunting to me than the rifle, so I'm not sure if I should attempt it without any previous experience working with firearms.

Are there any other tips/threads that not only concern my new P-64, but being a new gun owner as well? I appreciate any help and advice, and look forward to learning from all of you. Thanks!

Brian
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Brian, first off welcome!

Second, your 91/30, after cleaning all the cosmoline off, what condition is the bore in? Is the rifling shiny or is it rather dark? Just wondering, a friend of mine would like to buy 2 of them from Aim for his boys' Christmas gifts. Just looking to see if it may be worth it.

P-64. Definitely give it a good scouring. Mineral spirits in a pan and let the whole thing soak overnight or longer. Use toothbrush and compressed air if it's available. Definitely disassembling into smaller assemblies will make it easier. As for small parts, it's not a very complex pistol. I made some videos on taking the slide and frame apart and then putting them back together. Check them out, watch them a few times, and then you may be able to make a better decision on whether you want to take it apart or not. I think in the end you probably will take it apart.

http://p64resource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4200
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
DustOfMan

Post by DustOfMan »

The 91/30 is in great condition from what I can tell (as I said, I'm a noob to firearms). The bore is shiny, and the rifling looks good. I had a local shop look at it and he saw no pitting or burrs. The wood wasn't anything special, but after a good clean up, it looks pretty slick. The headspace was fine, it all seems pretty solid. They have the hex barrel versions right now as well, and I don't think they're much more. The local rep for AIM (I live right by it) from other stores is that pretty much anything you get from them is going to be pretty good.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

anglen wrote:Name's Ken but I go by my middle name Anglen mostly because I and always count on it not being used.

I'm so new I only have a 50 round box of brown bear that came in the mail yesterday and I have a 3 day wait. So it's looking like Thursday at the latest before I pick up my p64. I purchase it from jp sales online and sent it to a local pawnshop that I've been purchasing a few guitars from.

What sold me on the p64 was the narrow profile on the pistol, I may get a carry permit sometime in the future and I wanted a small but full size pistol.

I'm going to spend the time going though the board and get my learn on.
P64's are great CC pistols. They don't work very well in a pants pocket though. Go with a belt holster of some sort.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

lklawson wrote:
anglen wrote:Name's Ken but I go by my middle name Anglen mostly because I and always count on it not being used.

I'm so new I only have a 50 round box of brown bear that came in the mail yesterday and I have a 3 day wait. So it's looking like Thursday at the latest before I pick up my p64. I purchase it from jp sales online and sent it to a local pawnshop that I've been purchasing a few guitars from.

What sold me on the p64 was the narrow profile on the pistol, I may get a carry permit sometime in the future and I wanted a small but full size pistol.

I'm going to spend the time going though the board and get my learn on.
P64's are great CC pistols. They don't work very well in a pants pocket though. Go with a belt holster of some sort.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I've been carrying my 1974 P-64 in a Nemesis pocket holster for 5 years now and it has worked out fine for me. Just need to wear the correct pants or shorts and you're good to go. I've also carried it in a Brigadier(sp) IWB and it disappears quite nicely in that one too. I'm sure Chris's holster works great too.

Also WELCOME Dana, Brian, and Ken!!
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

manicmechanic wrote:I've been carrying my 1974 P-64 in a Nemesis pocket holster for 5 years now and it has worked out fine for me. Just need to wear the correct pants or shorts and you're good to go. I've also carried it in a Brigadier(sp) IWB and it disappears quite nicely in that one too. I'm sure Chris's holster works great too.

Also WELCOME Dana, Brian, and Ken!!
I find them a bit too heavy for the pocket. YMMV. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Coco86

Post by Coco86 »

Hello, Im Francisco Quintana, 25 years old in the Marine Corps. Im stationed in Quantico, VA.
I own a glock 30sf, stoeger cougar 8000 and a p64. I havent shot my p64, but when i do, ill let you know my reactions.

I got interested in old millitary weapons when i looked into a russian military website. I looked up the round they use and saw that it was one of the chepest rounds you can buy online, but rare in stores. I just ordered 200 rounds and hopefully i have no problems with my p64.
68gmcfan

Post by 68gmcfan »

Hello everyone. I have been reading through all of your posts and the info is astounding. I am an avid gun man from NC and own A G-21, CZ-52, 5906 smith, 2 91/30's, and a sks. I picked up a 1976 p-64 from Aim and it is in like new condition, gave it a good cleaning and fired a box of brown bear and 7 rds of Hornady critical defense ammo through it. It is snappy and accurate, but not unpleasant to shoot. I have an inside the pants hide away holster and it is comfortable to carry. I plan on leaving my p-64 stock and adding a hogue junior grip to it and just blast away.
I love the all steel construction and I think it will be durable as long as cleaned and lubed after each use. I am happy to find so many knowledgable fans of this little beast. Great info to be gleaned and Norm, you are the man!I will throw up a pic soon.
msglaigaie

Post by msglaigaie »

First day here as a member, but I have been lurking.

Bellingham Wa City of Subdued Excitement. Old. Been working with weapons since age 7. thirty-five years military service. Retired. I like military weapons, weapons with lanyard rings. Weapons carried by Soldiers in combat. Weapons with history. It helps if they shoot well, too!
If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much room!
AOC_NAVY

Post by AOC_NAVY »

New to board.. waiting on my first czak to be delivered. Long time owner of Il70 makarov (Bailkal). I love these commie pistols in 9X18! :hi:
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome Francisco, 68gmcfan, msglaigaie, and AOC_NAVY!! Hope to see some pics of these fine weapons you're bringing into the mix here. I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum.
roblox84

Post by roblox84 »

Hi everyone, just picked up my first p64 today at a gun show. Normally I do a lot of research before buying a firearm but got sucked in by a buddy to get the P64. I was actually going in to buy a .357 revolver but couldn't resist the look of this P64 and the price point was better as well. Not to mention that i'm Polish so shooting a gun from my homeland is kind of cool. I'm just glad I ran into this website because I have already read through about a hundred posts and it has been very helpful to me. I just can't wait to get down to the range and test this baby out!
Nutnspecial

Post by Nutnspecial »

Hello all,
Found this site while looking at Nagants and saw a P-64! I'm about to apply for my C&R FFL so I can collect and save $! My list will start with a P-64, m1895 Nagant revolver and a Mosin 91/30. That's my short list.

Happy Holidays from New Orleans,

-Pace
Edub

Post by Edub »

Hello,

Edub checking in. I'm a college student that enjoys expanding my firearm collection. I have had my C&R for a couple years now and even on my tight budget I have managed to acquire: P-64 on its way from Classic Arms, CZ-82, two 91/30's, M-44, M1895, and a Romanian Tokarev. I also have numerous other modern firearms.

Anyway, I can't wait to receive my P-64 and I already have the Wolff springs on order. I have been a lurker for quite a while and I finally decided to join up. I recognize a few of you from other forums too.
Transport

Post by Transport »

Greetings!

Recently I found this forum, and have been reading the posts. Sure is a lot to learn here. As it is said "Knowledge is power" and with that I am going to start looking about the larger Gun Shows for a P64, if not found then will order up one from AIM or someplace.

Again, such a great place to visit.

Chuck