Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Brad

Re: WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Post by Brad »

Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a P64 from Classic Firearms (http://www.classicfirearms.com). I've had it for about a month, and finally had the opportunity to shoot it today. WOW! Talk about accurate. OW! Talk about punch back.

Axiom: there is no perfect gun. I found the P64 while researching a pistol for warm weather concealed carry. Most of the time I carry a Glock 19. But it's hard to conceal a G19 wearing a t-shirt and shorts; not impossible, but it's a little more obvious than I'd prefer in some settings. I considered the G43, but it's not really very small. Next, I looked at the G42, but it's .380 and that's not a reliable caliber for self-defense. That led me to the Makarov, which I almost bought, but then I learned about the P64 and here I am.

The pistol definitely has its limitations (back to the axiom), but it also definitely has its niche. In my opinion, it's better to carry a P64 with 7 rounds of relatively powerful 9x18, than a similar or greater number of .380 rounds. The 25 pound DA trigger pull seems crazy at first, but on reflection it makes sense: if you have to use a firearm defensively, you'll have so much adrenaline surging through your system that you won't even notice 25 pounds. The pistol was designed that way for a reason.

Personal stuff/viewpoints: born and raised in the South and live in the Pacific Northwest (though politically I often wonder why!); Jesus Christ redeemed us, and we should not squander His gift; all countries should make themselves great again, i.e. nationalism is peaceful, globalism causes wars; support your local police; turn off TV and read old books.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome Brad, I'm sure you'll like your new home!!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Brad.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 »

I just found this forum today and am very glad to see so much interest in the P-64.

I live in Fullerton, CA just about 5 miles north of Disneyland. I bought an East German and a Russian (not Soviet) Makarovs back in the 90s and have come to enjoy shooting them more as time goes by. I had thought the P-64 was verbotten here in CA but found out ACCIDENTALLY while buying a Bersa Firestorm that not only were they available in CA, but that the Turner's chain where I was at that moment had them on close out. I got one on layaway PDQ.

I'm a collector more than a marksman, my eyes no longer see well enough even if it mattered to me. I have an 03 FFL and have just applied for a COE which will allow me some of the privileges that 03 FFL holders enjoy outside of CA. I am also a Life NRA member and a CRPA member.

I intend to move myself & my business to a freer state in the next few years but I'm stuck here for now and will just have to make the best of a bad situation.
Vintage Paul, Fullerton, CA

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure . . .
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I am sorry you are stuck in thw Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, but sounds as if you are making the best. Come to Wyoming for a breath of real fresh air. And welcome aboard.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 »

Ketchman wrote:I am sorry you are stuck in thw Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, but sounds as if you are making the best. Come to Wyoming for a breath of real fresh air. And welcome aboard.
Wyoming is certainly a possibility. Montana is also on the list. Right now I'm looking into the Klamath Falls OR area. The gun laws are much better and the climate is not too hot in the summer. The winters will take some getting used to . . .

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure . . .
OG17

Post by OG17 »

:hi: Welcome Brad and Hudson29. Good place to hang around in and learn from.

Hudson, if you go to Wyoming don't settle in Wright. I know a character there that, well let's say ........................? :evilgrin: :wink:
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I resemble that remark OG17!!!!!!!
Hudson29, the summers are not that hot , or don't really feel that hot because there is almost no humidity. And winters are not as cold as you think because of the lack of humidity too. And the gun laws here are about the most friendly in the nation. There are bumper stickers here that read "Welcome to Wyoming, please consider everyone armed." :D
OG17

Post by OG17 »

But you my friend, are armed AND dangerous.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Well,...... yeah. And your point is................?
Hudson29

Post by Hudson29 »

Ketchman wrote:I resemble that remark OG17!!!!!!!
Hudson29, the summers are not that hot , or don't really feel that hot because there is almost no humidity. And winters are not as cold as you think because of the lack of humidity too. And the gun laws here are about the most friendly in the nation. There are bumper stickers here that read "Welcome to Wyoming, please consider everyone armed." :D
I like that bumper sticker. Where is Wright? My memories of Wyoming are from the 1970s when I was an over the road truck driver. I imagine with the coal & oil it has grown a lot since then.

OG17

Post by OG17 »

Eastern part of Wyoming. South of Gillette on Hwy 59. Can't miss it. Lots of antelope and naked sheep in the grasslands around Wright. :shock: :mrgreen:

Nice place though. Hoping to get out there once I retire to see a cowboy friend of mine, well sort of. :P
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Hudson, Wright is 38 miles south of Gillette and north and east of Casper if that helps. And I het it has grown a lot since you were through here last. Still every bit as beautiful as then though. What areas did tou get to as an OTR driver?