WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Info, pictures, advice...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: WELCOME THREAD AND MEM, INFO

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Reggie, please consider taking up reloading. It is one of the cheapest pass times you can get into and your cost per box of fifty 9x18 will go down to between $3.50 to $4.00 per box. Plus you get a new hobby that will pay for its self in a very short period of time. Another big plus is that when you shoot lead bullets your barrels last longer, keep the speed at or under 900 feet per second and every thing lasts longer. If you want to cut prices even lower consider creating your own bullets, stop buy your nearest tire center and they will be more than happy to drop 20 to 30 pounds of wheel weights on you, they can't legally reuse them and have to pay to have them disposed of as a heavy metal. Your 9mm used casings can be cut down to 9x18 and function superdly in 9x18 pistoles. Primers go for about $3.49 per hundrad and powder is below .01 cent per bullet at 3gr. per bullet. By the way, one pound of powder will load 1400 5gr bullets.
Do the math and you will see it is a win win win for every one involved.
Good shooting to you,
G.R.
REGGIE

Post by REGGIE »

GR:
Thanks for the input.
I do reload now (17 calibers), but not for the 9X18...YET. Just got the dies in. Got the primers and powder. Need brass and a bullet mould (yup...I have lead too...like 250lbs). I may cut down some 9MM Para as per your suggestion.
Thanks for the input. If you have any more advice maybe we could start a new thread. :)
REGGIE
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

There are a million threads full of advice. Problem is, you just have to search for them. Surely pretty much everything about the pistol or reloading for it has been discussed at one time... finding where it has been talked about is the hard part.

Reggie, welcome!
REGGIE

Post by REGGIE »

I appreciate the welcome, jumiustaylor.

Quite sure you are right...it's out there somewhere. I just need to take the time to search. Once I get the bullet mould I'll be more motivated to get on it.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Hey all, Found this site looking for parts, rather springs. Norm hooked me up and so the 1969 P-64 is back on my side. Own 3 of these little wonders and hopeing to pick up a couple more sometime soon. 2 x 1969 and one I let my girl friend carry a 1976. Shot some of the light weight compact .380 stuff out here didnt like the recoil or the seemingly no punch, after talking with my older brother he suggested the 9x18. And now you know, 4 Russian Maks (one in 380) and the p64s.

Born and raised in Kansas always been shootin at something whether cans on farm or targets at the range, or the pheasants in the field. My semi auto of choice these days is the Radom P-64. My other passion is the wheel gun with the Dan Wesson. More on that story later. Thanks again to Norm for the great springs to get this little beauty back where it belongs.
wyo-man

Post by wyo-man »

Welcome from Wyoming.
Great people here as you have already found out.

wyo-man
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

kansas,

Welcome aboard, good to have ya with us, sounds like you are very familiar with the 9x18's, Norm is our local gunsmith and we have several that can pitch in with help.

Papa
sciroccosven

Post by sciroccosven »

Hello,

Dave from central PA. GF picked up a p-64 at my favorite local gun shop. I liked the build and what I had read on it. I love less costly guns with character and function and this one seemed to fit the bill.

For her I liked that it had an absurd DA first pull for safety, had a good safety on it and had a nice size.

We had it out to the range tonight. It hurt her hand pretty bad but she put it all on paper. Had a little bad luck with the gun. I shot one magazine and went to go through the second round and it instantly jammed. I actually had a hard time getting it cleared. For some reason the one magazine is completely in-operable. While shooting the safety dropped on me twice (I confirmed that after some reading on here). The good. Very accurate, blow my P3at out of the water. Points naturally but it is awfully close to snaking me with a full grip on the gun. After seeing my gf's hand turn purple and from what I read I admittedly wasn't looking forward to getting a pinched nerve in my hand or have everything from my wrist down go numb (There really are some reviews out there that state this gun is just about the worst thing they have ever fired.). I actually thought it was a kitten to shoot and I thought it was rather enjoyable to shoot.

I hope the 64 works out, the safety issue concerns me and the magazine was a little icing.
spyder

Post by spyder »

Received a p-64 this Christmas from a friend. I am half Polish/ Hungarian so an FEG will probably be in my future. Will post pictures soon, have 11 handguns now and am looking for a Ruger SR9C (when affordable)
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year spyder!! You've come to the right place for both pistols and probably some of your others too.
ZombieZak

Post by ZombieZak »

I have been reading through the posts on this site and finally decided to take the plunge and I picked this up today:
The grips that are on it really don’t fit my shooting grip very well so I plan on replacing them with the stock grips when I get a chance. I also only got one mag with the deal as well so I am going to need to pick up a couple of those as well soon. In case you were wondering it is a 1976. The picture is from the ad where I found it. I will try and get a couple of better pictures of it and post them in the pictures area.

Zak
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Zombie, did you get that one from the feller around Columbia? I had saw it on armslist.com and thought it was a nice looking one.
ZombieZak

Post by ZombieZak »

He had an ad on Armslist, gunlistings.org and Midwestguntrader.com. He seemed to be a pretty nice guy, just down on his luck needing to make some cash. I think he said he lived in Union if I remember correctly. I met him down in Eureka to close the deal. There is just a little bit of finish wear up toward the muzzle end and one small nick right above where it has Cal. Makarov on the slide. It was imported by TG in Knoxville TN. The grips are really nice looking, but I think I am going to have to change them out to accommodate my shooting grip. I was thinking of going back to just the plastic ones, but after seeing how nice it looks with the wood I may look in to getting some flat wood grips.
GrailKnight

Post by GrailKnight »

Hello everyone,

Just bought myself a P-64 (1972 Mfg. Date) and am quite happy with it.
Recoil is no worse then other small weapons I have fired but God gifted me with a
set of strong hands and arms so I hardly noticed the recoil or trigger pull. The wife on the
other hand said she will stick with her S&W .38.

The gun as purchased was in fine condition and I only ordered a new set of grips more
for a backup then anything else as well as a set of factory standard springs from Wolff also
for spare parts.

Super forum chock full of info.

Greg
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

I guess I should have posted here first!

I live in South Western Ohio, not too far from the now sadly defunct Ohio Rapid Fire. I mostly collect military rifles and handguns.

Just picked up my 1968 P-64 a few weeks ago. Like a lot of people here, I stumbled across this site when I was looking for information regarding my new purchase. My firearms tastes are pretty eclectic, but I've got quite a few Eastern European handguns (no Makarovs yet though, dammit! :( ) and the P-64 seemed like a good fit. I'm very happy with it too! The little sucker was scarey accurate and very well made. I intend to leave it completely stock for the time being. I do carry, but that Pole is too nice to have it bouncing around it my pocket.

I spend a lot of time on the AK Forum website. They have a few P-64 fans on their Eastern Bloc Pistols forum as well. :mrgreen: