Sizing cast bullets for 9x18

Info, pictures, advice...
breeze

Post by breeze »

I found an inexpensive way to size my cast bullets for the 9x18. Like most hand loaders I have an assortment of brands of equipment, but my bullet casting is all Lee. The only problem is that Lee does not offer any sizers for the 9x18. I am WAY too cheap to buy another type of press and dies just to size one caliber. That is why I have not hand loaded 9x18 in the past. Then I had an epiphany. I took a Lyman .363 bullet sizing die and turned about 2/3 the length of it about 10/1000 of an inch in the lathe. I replaced the O-ring with a thinner diameter....a green automotive air conditioning O-ring works perfect...Then I slipped the guts out of a Lee 30/30 factory crimp die....any caliber will work...and slipped the Lyman die in. Now for $17.00 I can size bullets for my P-64. A Lee bullet catch tub is a tight fit but it goes on with a little convincing. I use either a .356 or .357 bullet holder from one of my other sizers and all is well.

I took a picture but I am too stupid to figure out how to add it to this post. If someone could explain it I would be grateful.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

breeze

very interesting

to post pix

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=1542

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
breeze

Post by breeze »

OK here goes, If there is no picture then I will go back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the info
breeze

Post by breeze »

Last try
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

breeze

send the to me and i'll post them for you

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on January 3rd, 2009, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
breeze

Post by breeze »

I never give up
breeze

Post by breeze »

breeze

Post by breeze »

I have got to be the slowest learner on this entire Forum!!!!!

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

breeze

nice pix. and they are the right size too

you did good

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
breeze

Post by breeze »

I am going to do some trials at the range. If I end up with too much leading, I might special order a Seaco die in .364. Or if I feel brave, I might try polishing 1/1000 out of a Lyman .363 in order to get a better fit.

After reading some other posts, I checked my magazine dimensions, and they are very tight. Keeping the bullets on the small side should help with reliability. I would hate to get a perfect combination and find out the hard way that in the real world it might not be smart. For example, what if you got a bullet diameter that was awesome for accuracy and reliable in a clean gun, but after a day or two in a crisis situation where it might actually get dirty, you end up with a failure to feed a split second before you get blown away. I know I sound paranoid but it is good to be ready...all the time.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

breeze

I hard cast my bullets, and I don't get any leading at all even in a CZ-82 , and the lube I using is for a rifle and not suppose to used for a hand gun

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
breeze

Post by breeze »

Norm,

I have been using the tumble lube from Lee. It works well but I have to clean the lube off the exposed portion of the bullet. They say it dries hard but it will pick up debris because it is a little tacky. I am experimenting with applying it differently. The best lube I have ever used used to be called 'Wonderlube' now they call it '1000 shots' The only trouble is it is messy. It is designed for blackpowder. I used it on some .357 handloads and it changed my groups from 1.5 inches at ten paces....from a bench....to cloverleafs.

I just saw the new string for posting personal info and pics. That is a good idea. I hope a bunch of us use it.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

breeze

when I started casting my own I used a LEE cookie cutter and made my own lube out of bee's wax and axle grease tell I could afford a lyman 450 lube & seizer , bought a used one been using it ever since

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
breeze

Post by breeze »

Norm,

What is a 'cookie cutter'? Is it a way to get around tumble lubing?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

breeze
I don't think LEE even makes the cookie cutter any more, ever since they came up with their tumble lubeing method

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage