Sizing cast bullets for 9x18

Info, pictures, advice...
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

Breeze and Anjdrifter,

The long and arduous wait is at last at an end! My trusty FFL dealer called at 8:43½ PM to inform me that my P-64 had just came in a few minutes earlier, and I can pick it up tomorrow! How my noble heart pounds within me! Oh, the excitment of it all, it's almost too much! This feeling could, perhaps, be compared to the many thoughts and emotions racing thru the mind of a virginal bride (if there is such a thing anymore) as the wedding night approaches! Will I like it or won't I etc. etc.? From the many comments read in this wonderful forum, I'm pretty sure that I will! I'll let you know tomorrow night.. Tommy2
breeze

Post by breeze »

tommy2,

I agree, there is nothing as exciting as waiting for something to arrive. I am happy to recieve my purchases but waiting for them is almost as good.

I am sure you will be impressed. The first thing that caught my eye was, the quality of the blueing...very nice for a military import.

Well, I have to go put on my P-64 so I can go to town and make a deposit, so I can buy more gun stuff.
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

breeze,

I could not be more pleased as far as looks go, Beautiful pistol! Looks like it was never issued, not a blemish on it! Maybe it was wise to go with the $10 'hand select'. It was made in 1976. J&G is now charging $22 for shipping (UPS) to Eastern PA, that seemed a bit high to my dealer. Only very minor machining marks showing on underside of the slide. Feed ramp and chamber mouth not bad, but I'll polish 'em up 'til the ramp is like a mirror! I use wet or dry paper (dry) starting with 320 grade and working up to 2000. Now, for that awful double action trigger pull. Mine measures very close to 30 lbs.! I hate to admit it but I can not pull it all the way thru! I'm 77 and been retired for 14 years and just don't have the strenth that I used to have. The single action pull is OK at 4¼ lbs., with a bit of very smooth 'creep' before let off. The magazine catch is way way too heavy also since it works off the hammer spring! This next part will get me in trouble with you wonderful Polish folks out there, but I would say that the engineering of the double action was very poorly thought out, i.e. pivot points and leverage, plus a much too heavy hammer spring. I'll bet that there are very few women who can pull that double action with the stock spring! Do you know of any? Looks like I'll have to send for an 18 lb. spring from Wolff. I also got two unused magazines with it, one w/matching Serial #! Too bad it's not a German made Walther PPK because the last three digits in the Ser. number are 007!!! Tommy2
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

tommy

make sure you clean all the Cosmolin out of the gun before you fire it, and re oil it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
breeze

Post by breeze »

It sounds like you just described my P-64 exactly...except the ser. #. I may order one from them. I thought from the description that they were not that nice.
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

Norm,

This one had very little cosmolin on or in it. Lots of oil under the grips, etc. Since the hammer spring is completely worthless to me in it's present state. I thought I might start grinding coils of it a little at a time to lighten it up to a point that I can at least pull double action and still get a good hit on the primers. I'm sure that this has been tried by many others in the past. I wonder what success they had? I know, I know, I should just get an 18 lb. Wolff spring and be done with it, but I like to tinker with these things and I'm in no great hurry to get it going. I've been doing most of my own gunsmithing work for over 60 years. Sure, I've messed up a few times, the first one was when I let the hammer fall on a High Standard HD Military .22 while the slide was removed. It wouldn't cock at all after that! Took the hammer out and fixed up the notch, and I did a pretty good job for a 15 year old kid! Had one hell of a job getting the hammer back in, had to use a padded C- c lamp on the front of the trigger guard to compress that tough spring! I hope it's a lot easier to replace the spring on the P-64. Any tips? Thanks, Tommy2 PS: I had worked most of the summer to save up enough money for that High Standard! $51.17 (no State tax then) in 1947. My dear old Dad was good enough to sign for it. After a year of begging and pleading on my part!
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

Norm,

Just found your 'Changing Hammer Spring' tip! This should be a great help to one and all! Good job!
Thanks, Tommy2