Sizing cast bullets for 9x18

Info, pictures, advice...
breeze

Post by breeze »

Hello,

I finaly got time to go all the way through my casting and sizing process. My Lee mold casts my lead mix at .368" and my Lyman/Lee sizer sizes at .362". That was a serious issue. I was shaving rings thicker than you would while loading a cap and ball revolver. That is tough with a hard alloy. I had to hone the sizer, it ended up at .364" . I also had to make a small extension for the bullet ram, and push an small aluminum tube in the top of the die so the bullets would't catch the edge. It was probably a waste of time, but at least it works well, and none of the changes are permanent.
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

breeze wrote: I am going to do some trials at the range. If I end up with too much leading, I might special order a Seaco die in .364. Or if I feel brave, I might try polishing 1/1000 out of a Lyman .363 in order to get a better fit.

After reading some other posts, I checked my magazine dimensions, and they are very tight. Keeping the bullets on the small side should help with reliability. I would hate to get a perfect combination and find out the hard way that in the real world it might not be smart. For example, what if you got a bullet diameter that was awesome for accuracy and reliable in a clean gun, but after a day or two in a crisis situation where it might actually get dirty, you end up with a failure to feed a split second before you get blown away. I know I sound paranoid but it is good to be ready...all the time.
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

It's a bad idea to use ANY hand loads for self defence, at least that's what I've read many times from gun writers and also lawyers. If you wind up in court it could be used againist you even if you're in the right! Doesn't make sense? Since when do they go by common sense in the judicial system? Just thought that I'd bring this up, it might keep someone out of trouble! Stick to factory ammo for home defence and carry.
breeze

Post by breeze »

I agree with you but if the current administration gets it's way, all current ammo will be illegal soon. The democrats have plans to serialize ammo and outlaw handloading all together. At that point I will be a criminal anyway so I would rather trust my own ammo.
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

breeze, Good point! I sure hope it never comes to that, we will see. I've been reloading for over half a century and have dies for all my center fire handguns and rifles (about 36 pieces). Well stocked with powder and primers, etc.. Right now I'm waiting for a P-64 from J&G, I've read alot of 'pros and cons' on this one. I think that when I get done working on it, a good cleaning, inspect all bearing surfaces for rough spots, change springs, polish feed ramp (I have done this for years to all my guns, new or used, as soon as I get them) I'm sure that I'll be pleased with it, it won't be a Walther PPK, but how can you beat the price?! I'm glad to see that the new senator from NY is 100% NRA Pro-gun, even though she's a Democrat!! Too bad there aren't more Democrats like her!
breeze

Post by breeze »

I'm pretty sure you will be happy with the P-64. I have only been messing with handguns and hand loading for 25 years but was actually surprised by the overall quality of the Polish manufacturing. The trigger guards show more looseness than a PPK but the gun is well made.

I am not sure how much reading you've done, but the general consensus is to get a Wollf 20 lb. recoil spring and you're off to the races. I felt the recoil was harsh so I put the spring in and have had no problems. I carry every day....I handle a lot of cash in my business...and the P-64 is almost always the one I take. The PPK is more concealable but I don't use it unless I forget to do the laundry and end up with only tight sweat shirts that show a bulge.

I am torn between getting another P-64 or another CZ-82....maybe I will get both.
breeze

Post by breeze »

Forgot to mention, the only real problems I have seen are magazine problems....bent or damaged. Mine eats anything I feed it. The gun and both mags were "As New" so I am not sure what time and use will do.
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

breeze, I hope to have the P-64 by the end of the week. I paid $10 extra for 'hand sellect', I sometimes wonder if it pays to do this? I always have and I have been pleased with what I received, so I guess it's worth it. I've bought about 10 guns this way from different companys. I'll let you know what I find after I open the box and inspect it. Hope to be shooting it soon! It's been pretty cold here (-10º some nights) in the "Endless Mountains" of Northern PA.. but I am lucky to have my own pistol range in back of the house with a safe backstop. Maybe it will go all the way up to 38º for my test run! Keep on shootin'!
breeze

Post by breeze »

I lived in upper Bucks County for most of my life, I don't miss the winters. When we moved to south-side Virginia, the first thing I did was put a range behind the shop. If it's rainy or too hot, I shoot from inside the shop. I've got a giant dirt pile next to the old graveyard that is an awesome backstop. It's high enough for point-shooting or hip-work. I own all the woods behind the backstop for a half-mile anyway so there are no worries!

Enjoy the P-64, let me know what you think of the butt pounding it gives you.
breeze

Post by breeze »

I am absent minded as heck. On a previous post I mentioned the slide spring, I forgot that the trigger spring is a bit tough for most folks. I changed that at the same time as my slide spring, it was like a different gun, except the single action got very light after the spring change...not unsafe, just noticably lighter.
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

breeze, Thanks for your help. I've read dozens of comments on the 'spring' subject, and if the double action pull is bearable for me I might stick with it. The heaviest DA pull I've ever felt is on my M-95 Nagant revolver, that last step that moves the cylinder forward to seal with the barrel is just beyond the strenth of my old trigger finger (77 years). Do you have one of these Nagants to compare pulls? Just how light is the single action pull on your P-64 now? I don't think a carry pistol's pull should be lighter than 4 lbs. at the very least. Also, it's not a good idea to be wearing a glove on your gun hand "when the time comes"! I'm hopeing that that time will never come! But no one knows! Keep alert at all times!
breeze

Post by breeze »

tommy2,

I don't have a Nagant..maybe soon...I would guess that my p-64 double action pull was half again as hard as a PPK. It was the hardest double action I ever felt. Wollf has a good assortment of springs if you are interested in fine tuning yours. After I did mine and felt the lighter single action, I have to say it is borderline 4 lbs. I will test it when I get some time. If I had to right now, I'd say it is on the light side of 4. The springs are inexpensive enough though, I bet it would be easy to fine tune it. I hate to get into sear work. I feel confident enough doing the work, but I have no idea of the metallurgy the eastern block used for the last 60 or 70 years, and would hate to end up ruining a hard to find part.

Even though the trigger was hard when I first bought it, I could live with it if I had to. You have to figure, if you are going to use a pistol like the P-64 in a defense situation, you would be very close to your assailant so the hard double action is a non-issue from an accuracy point. A controllable single action for follow up shots is probably more important...no sense in having it go off unexpectedly. When I am done with my CZ 82 I am going to get back into my P-64. I am sure I will stay with my 20 lb slide spring. That baby is a life saver..it also gives you a little extra leeway with hand loads, which by the way, I am going to spend some time before spring working on them.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

Tommy2 there is a relativily easy fix for the nagant trigger pull.will find the thread if you are interested. just have to grind the main spring a little.
here is copy of post I made on another board
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been threating myself to do a trigger job on one of my Nagants for ever and have been putting it off in fear of messing it up. but since I have three took the most beat up up and said it was time. the process is really simple and rather painless just as long as you take your time.
1. remove left grip and side plate
2 lift out trigger V spring, a little prying while holding everything in place
3. Mic it for original thickness around. .057 to .054 along the length
4. take dremel with a fine sanding drum and smooth the the sides
5.use the dremel and slowly and carefully grind the the lower part of the leaf down.
6. put back together and test.
7. do # 6 a few times to it feels better or you get scared.
8. I stopped at .045(appox.)( it will vary slightly, along the length)) on the the micrometer .
9. smooth any rough edges
10. grease it with purple grease(or any type ) ,lightly
11 put the gun back together and you will have a lighter and smoother trigger pull. At least for the Nagant.
I will most likely trade springs to one better Nagant in future but will leave the 1916 alone. hey it was cold and damp today so it was a good project.
Last edited by anjdrifter on January 27th, 2009, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

anjdrifter

Thanks for your tip, time and trouble! Did it and it's a bit lighter now! I really don't plan to do much double action shooting with the Nagant, but it's nice to at least be able make it work! Maybe your sage advice will help other M-95 owners. :-)

Breeze, I'm still waiting for the P-64 from J&G. Some foul-up with the paperwork filing or something, but it's on the way now! When I first bought mail-order guns back in the 1950's they were delivered right to my house by the Railway Express Co.! All you had to do was send the dealer a money order and say that you were over 21! I think that ended in 1968. A friend (both of us were 15 years old in 1947) and I used to take our scoped .22 rifles (actions open, no cases) on the Market St. El (15¢ round trip) in Philly out to 69th Street , change to the Red Arrow Line trolly (20¢ r.t.) and go out the West Chester Pike to Broomall PA., Walk about a mile or so to an abandoned quarry and shoot up a brick of 500 L.R. ammo ($3.90)! It sure was fun! I guess if anyone tried that now there would be a SWAT TEAM or two on them in 5 minutes! Times have changed slightly.. tommy2
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

Tommy2.
you are most welcome. glad it worked for you.