Reloading the 9x18

Info, pictures, advice...
buggyboat

Reloading the 9x18

Post by buggyboat »

Hi all,
Just a quick question about reloading. Several have mentioned that they use cut down 9mm brass. I went and got the Lee trimmer. It seems that the 9mm brass has a smaller ID than the 9x18 and the trimmer will not fit far enough in to allow the cutter to cut. Will resizing open up the ID? I do not have dies yet, but which ones will work for this (Lee, RCBS)?
Also, I think someone mentioned they cast their own bullets. I have never casted bullets before. Which moulds are being used? Lee looks good cause they are cheep, but because they are so cheep compared to the others, it makes me wonder. Thanks for any help you could provide.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading the 9x18

Post by normsutton »

buggyboat

I trim 9 mm brass to 9 x 18

http://olderthendirt.proboards84.com/in ... thread=328

I use a lee mould, with my lead the weight of the bullet is 100.9 grn's I size them to .363 that way I can shoot them in anything

doesn't make any difference who's dies you buy , I also use brass pickups never buy 9 mm brass

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
buggyboat

Reloading the 9x18

Post by buggyboat »

Thanks Norm. I think my problem was with the Lee 9x18 pilot for the cutter. The edge where it touches the cutter was a bit too big. I stuck it in a drill and polished it off a bit and it works great. I was thinking that it was a special sizing die, or an expander in the die that needed to open up the ID of the case to make it work. But it works good now. Thanks for the help.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading the 9x18

Post by normsutton »

buggyboat

you did the right on the pilot. because 9 mm brass is smaller until its fired especially when fired in a 9 x 18

these are the dies I use, the only thing I don't like about LEE dies is their lock rings, and don't care for their presses

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

This is the mould I use

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=786209

just remember to size the bullets to .363 .

I use this to size my bullets and lube them http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=458891 with a .363 die, my lube sizer is 30 years old , when I bought it 30 years ago it was used , a lot of stuff you can get used on ebay or other auction sites,buy quality stuff , you can always get your money out of it

if you can't get them from http://www.midwayusa.com/ you can get them from http://www.leeprecision.com/ or http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/home/

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
donnerwetter58

Reloading the 9x18

Post by donnerwetter58 »

buggyboat,
Norm is giving you some pretty good info here.
I've never turned 9x19 brass into 9x18. I bought a bunch of Starline brass back when it was cheap.
The first cast bullets I used were Meister cast sized to .365. They worked without a hitch in my PA-63 and both P-64's.
Bullet molds for the 9x18 are scarce. There is the Lee and the Saeco. I bought the Lee. It was my first aluminum mold. It works but doesn't hold a candle to the iron molds by Lyman or RCBS.
The Lee mold drops bullets at 100 grains with recovered range lead. The cast diameter is a tad over .366. The groove diameter of the PA-63 measured .366.
I size and lube with a RCBS unit from the early 80's. It's the same as Norm's Lyman. The only standard sizing die for the 9x18 is .363. A little small for my liking considering the .365 Meister worked so well. Rather than special order a size die, I turned one myself to size to .366. At this diameter there is minimal swaging of the bullets. I have had no issues feeding or functioning with the .366 bullets in any of the guns.
Cast loads are great plinking loads. My favorite powder is Bullseye but there are many suitable powders.
Have fun.
Dave
buggyboat

Reloading the 9x18

Post by buggyboat »

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about bullet diameters for this caliber. I see the lee mold throws a .365". I just bought a box of 95gr XTPs that are .365", but then I have seen cast bullets such as these http://mastercastbullets.com/productpricecontd.html that are .366". Has anyone ever slugged the bore and measured?
I am not sure how old that Mastercast web page is, I found it through Google, but if the prices are still good, $35 a thousand seems like a good deal to me. Has anyone used this guy?
I started trimming brass, and the lee trimmer works great. I took a Sharpie and marked a red circle in the groove at the bottom of each case in hopes that it is still there and visible after they are shot in an attempt to keep them from getting mixed up with regular 9mm. I will let you know how that goes.

Thanks,
Chris
buggyboat

Reloading the 9x18

Post by buggyboat »

OK, there should be a picture here if it worked. Anyway, I trimmed a bunch of brass. I took a sharpie and ringed the ejection groove on each one so I can tell it apart from the regular 9mm. You can see it in the picture (if it worked). I have been trying to come up with some cast bullets and everyone local seems to be out. I was looking at moulds on Lee's web site and was disappointed that they do not make a 6 cavity Mak mould. They do custom moulds though. They charge $100 for a set up fee and $50 for each mould purchased (for the 6 cavity). Has anyone here used this service? I like the sound of 6 at a time rather than only 2. Also, after searching a bit, I have found that people tend to say that the 6 cavity Lee moulds are a bit better quality than the 2 cavity ones. I have never casted bullets so it is all new to me. Any thoughts or words of advice? Please help, I have to keep the children fed. ;D
Last edited by buggyboat on January 7th, 2009, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big54r

Reloading the 9x18

Post by big54r »

?, are you guy's using the reloads for plinking/training only or are some of you reloading some as personal defense loads also?

reason I ask is bcuz I would think in a worse case scenario a "defense" of puke criminal attorney would go after the ammo and loader as defective and negligent, not being "factory" and all.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading the 9x18

Post by normsutton »

buggyboat

if you never have cast bullets before it best to learn on a single or a double cavity lee mould you'll get far better bullets and it won't take that long to cast a pile of bullets once you get the hang of it

big54r

use my reloads for every thing , I don't trust factory loads , I only trust my reloads ,, and I also's shoot lead bullets as my carry ammo

( I'd rather be judged buy 12 than be carried by 6 )

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on January 8th, 2009, 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
breeze

Reloading the 9x18

Post by breeze »

Hey guys,

Sorry to jump in a little late. I just started using a Lee case trimmer for converting 9mm brass to 9x18. I ran in to the same problem of the mandrel being to large in diameter. I turned it down a bit on a belt sander....got my fingers too...and it works great. I was surprised, I thought that after expanding the case mouth it would work, but it was a bit tight.
buggyboat

Reloading the 9x18

Post by buggyboat »

Thanks Norm. I am going to go ahead and order the 2 cavity. I am going to see if I can borrow a six cavity 9mm that a buddy has. I will be able to see if I like it. I bought some lead off ebay and shoud be here next week. I had no luck at the tire shops for wheel weights. I even called a local indoor range and asked if they wanted to sell some from the traps. No luck there. Oh well. Now I have to start thinking about sizing them. I saw some good posts here in the last few days about that. Thanks everyone for your help.

Chris
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Reloading the 9x18

Post by normsutton »

Chris
is there a salvage yard near you another good source for lead or pluming shops the 9 X 18 can be cast out of pure lead and quenched in water to harden and at the fps that you'll are able to drive them you'll shouldn't get any leading with a good bullet lube even in a CZ-82

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
impackin

Reloading the 9x18

Post by impackin »

Hi
I have decided to load 9X18, and need LOTS of help!!! Since I have never reloaded before I have tried to read all posts on reloading but they are scattered and mixed in with other posts.(hint maybe start a new whatever on reloading) Will 9mm luger dies work? I am also confused about a case trimmer. Bench mount? lee case trimmer cutter and lock stud that can be turned by hand or chucked in to cordless drill. Would that be accurate? Also could you use this in a bench mount later? Don't know if it is matters but I have a RCBS rock chucker single stage. Oh and by the way you haven't heard the last of me I WILL be back with more questions.
Another Norm (in Ohio)
I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy
sapo

Reloading the 9x18

Post by sapo »

I have reloaded the 9X18. My CZ-82 was a little finicky with the US Hollow Points. FMJ's work just fine. I will post some data in a bit.
Invest in a Chronograph, it's the only way you can judge your loads reliably. I have been reloading and casting my own bullets for about 25 years now.......
4.1 Grains of WW 231 works fins and gives about the same velocity as factory stuff. 4.4 grains is way too hot. Book lists 4 to 4.5 grains of 231 with 90 grain bullets at 971-1074 fps. 3.9 to 4.4 grains with 95 grain bullets for 911-1029 fps. Mine run around 1095 fps with either bullet, 90-95 grain JHP's or FMJ's. Factory runs around low of 1050 to 1139 out of the CZ-82. I haven't Chrono'd the P-64 yet. I use Star Line brass. I have both RCBS and Lee Dies. I dont care for the locking rings on Lee either so I buy RCBS locking rings from Midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=387594

For casting you will need a Sizer, I use an RCBS Sizer, dies and top punches to size the cast bullets as well as something to melt the lead in and moulds. Try strore bought cast bullets or jacketed oned first. Buy your 9X18 brass. Making it from 9 MM is more trouble than it is worth. Store bought cast will rin .365-.366 I would imagine. It's normal. Cast should be .001 over bore size. I use jacketed in my 9X18 reloads.

I even reload the .25 Colt ACP. Factory stuff in .25 ACP has been so loaded down over the years, factory 50 gr FMJ stuff barely goes over 650fps. With reloading you can get it back uo to 800-850 fps no problem with 50 gr FMJ's. With the little light 35 gr JHP's you can break over 1000 fps and they do expand!

Last edited by sapo on January 13th, 2009, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
donnerwetter58

Reloading the 9x18

Post by donnerwetter58 »

impackin,
Welcome to the forum. Good to see some more Buckeyes here.
I load 9x18 and cast appropriate bullets as well. Don't know where in southern OH you're at, but I'm in the northwest Cincinnati area. I'd be more than happy to give you a hand and or information.
To answer some of your basic questions. The Rockchucker will work fine. The 9x19 dies will not work for 9x18. If you start with 9x18 brass you can eliminate the trimming step required with 9x19 brass.
Reloading is a hobby in itself. Have fun.
Dave