silencer?

Info, pictures, advice...
blaazed

silencer?

Post by blaazed »

sorry just finished watching goldeneye. is there one for the p64? it would be pretty slick with a silencer... :D :P
donnerwetter58

silencer?

Post by donnerwetter58 »

Never have seen a silenced P-64.
It would take a lengthened and threaded barrel to attach it.
There is federal paperwork and transfer fees to do it legally.
So post some photos when you do it. 8-)
And welcome to the forum.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

silencer?

Post by trent »

if you want to do some work, ask around to different companies that make barrels for firearms, and see if they would be willing to make an extended/ threaded one for a p64.

no special silencer needed (just a 9mm one)
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

silencer?

Post by dfunk »

I for one think you will need a rather large press to remove/install the barrel without bending or warping the frame. It would be great to see, though!
dwd

silencer?

Post by dwd »

I had just a couple questions about silencers in general.
My brother-in-law told me at Xmas time that silencers work better/quieter on revolvers than semi automatics. He claimed that some of the sound came out when the chamber opened to eject the shell.
He also said that the people that use silencers alter their semi autos to shoot single shot and they rack the slide by hand to make another shot.
Is there any validity to either of these points?
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

silencer?

Post by dfunk »

Sorry, but I don't think any of that info is correct.

I've never seen a modified semi-auto pistol modded to shoot single shot, let alone even heard of anyone doing this for the sake of a silencer. We must remember that a silencer is really a suppressor, and doesn't truly 'silence' the shot. There is still some report, but it's lessoned a great deal. You will hear the action in the noise, but compared to a report, is moot. Also, the shot is made and report heard/bullet left before the action cycles, so report coming out of the slide/chamber area is also incorrect. Just check out those ultra slow clips of guns firing - you can see the bullet leaves before the action cycles.

I've never seen a silencer on a wheelgun (I'm not saying they aren't out there, just that I've never seen one).

One thing that is true, is that they work better on smaller calibers like a .22 (especially with subsonic ammo).

Man, I think I want one...

For anyone that has hands on experience, please correct me if I'm wrong.
olympus

silencer?

Post by olympus »

+1 on what dickfunk says. I've never seen or even heard of someone modifying a semi or shoot single and imagining someone manually racking a slide after every shot is enough to make me chuckle. I've never heard of it and after hearing that I think it sounds ridiculous. I really hope people don't do that. The same goes for sound coming out the ejection port. Doesn't happen. Don't equip a revolver with a silencer. Yes, silencers are sold to fit revolvers, you'll find ads for them in gun magazines. Why? Beats me.

Personally, I think silencers are extremely overrated. They almost always have a "shot life" which means after so many shots they become less and less effective. I hear all kinds of idiots talking about how great silencers are....and they may be. But I try to get them to rationalize the idea of buying one. All you hear from those people are about how great silencers are for noise reduction. Yeah but so are a good pair of ear muffs rated for the correct decibel range. I have yet to find someone who can honestly tell me it makes more sense to buy $1000 silencer that won't last forever over a pair of $200 top of the line ear muffs. But people will argue with me all day long. Generally you'll spend $800 for a silencer and then unless you're a really handy machinist have your own equipment, you'll spend another couple hundred dollars for a threaded barrel. It comes down to money just burning a whole in someone's pocket. There's no real practical use for one, but people just buy them because they can I guess.
Last edited by olympus on December 30th, 2008, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lcberlin

silencer?

Post by lcberlin »

"Silencers" aka "moderators" aka "mufflers" aka "can" are all the same thing, a suppressor to lessen the sound from the muzzle of a gun.

The debate over wheelguns v semis being silenced rages on. The cylinder gap on a revolver lets noise escape, and so does the slide on a semi.

I personally have 3 host guns for 1 suppressor, all in .22lr. When I shoot with the suppressor, I shoot subsonic ammo for max effect.

One of the guns is my Ruger 10/22. I heavily modified it - custom stock, Tactical Innovations barrel, tuned bolt, trigger job, Pride-Fowler BDC scope, and even a BOLT LOCK to hold the bolt closed, thus making a semiauto into a single shot - and when I am not shooting just for fun, I use it for urban pest control. There is a long history of silenced rifles being used for pigeon and rat control in cities. Most of Europe does not regulate moderators.

I paid ~$190 for the suppressor, and adaptors for two pistols ran ~$70. The 10/22 barrel was being replaced for other reasons, and having the end threaded was included. The only other expenditure is $200 for the Class III tax stamp from the BATFE.

My opinion is that ear muffs are clunky and unwieldy, and hot. Suppressor is light and cleanable. Ear muffs work for me, silencer works for me and my neighbors.

If you are really interested, try this place-

http://www.silencertests.com/

Merry New year, y'all.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

silencer?

Post by dfunk »

I'd be interested in a $200 unit. Also, I'd like to know if the 'bolt lock' is for sound suppression or actually for accuracy. I still would like to see where the slide let's out enough gas at once for any report to leak out. I guess I'm not getting it (which is very likely ;) )
olympus

silencer?

Post by olympus »

I've seen silencers for .22s that aren't that expensive. And I guess if you shot inside a city then a silencer would be beneficial. But I rarely use muffs when shooting .22s anyway unless it's a short barreled pistol. For the neighborhood benefit I can see. But silencers I've seen for 9mm, .40, and even .45s are quite costly and so are the threaded barrels which is what I was referring to. As for muffs, I have an electronic set that I absolutely love. I wear them for several hours at a time on the range without any issue. Maybe I'm just tighter than wax, but I'd rather have clunky muffs that will last forever than even a modest priced silencer for ten times the price that won't last forever. I'm with dickfunk on the sound coming out the ejection port too. I simply can't see the physics of it. Gases are traveling outward at high speeds as well as the report, towards the area of least resistance. The bullet has left the end of the muzzle with gases and sound waves following before the slide can travel back and open ejecting the shell. Maybe there could be some type of vacuum inside the barrel during that fraction of second that could suck in some sound waves. That's all I can think of.
Last edited by olympus on December 30th, 2008, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patientzer0

silencer?

Post by patientzer0 »

The only revolver I know of that can be silenced is the Nagant b/c of its forward caming cylinder. Here's a good video on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0
lcberlin

silencer?

Post by lcberlin »

dickfunk wrote:I'd be interested in a $200 unit. Also, I'd like to know if the 'bolt lock' is for sound suppression or actually for accuracy. I still would like to see where the slide let's out enough gas at once for any report to leak out. I guess I'm not getting it (which is very likely ;) )
Gemtech Outback II, for .22lr, is what I have. MSRP on their website is $325, I paid $195 at a Class III shop in Indiana.

Yes, the bolt lock was originally meant for accuracy. That's what the maker was claiming, and it does improve accuracy. Side benefit was a little less noise shooting suppressed. I ain't smart enough to figger out how or why it is that way.

And I apologize, for after re-reading my first post, I do see that I made it out to be that the bolt lock was for better silencer performance. I wrote that poorly. The bolt lock was for accuracy first.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

silencer?

Post by dfunk »

No apology necessary. The bolt lock for accuracy makes 100% sense to me. I do know that some larger caliber handguns require modification to operate with a suppressor if the utilize a tip up barrel system (Glock, H&K, etc), so without any modification, would simply be a single shot deal.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

silencer?

Post by trent »

my brother got a gemtech outback II for the same price, its a neat silencer.

but if you want silent (in 22) and you want it cheap, get some Super colibri rounds, they are powder-less (primer only, but it packs a pretty big punch, although it won't cycle semi's)

they are almost as slient as a suppressor (out of an ar7 it sounds like a bb gun)
lcberlin

silencer?

Post by lcberlin »

I shoot Super Colibris out of my Savage Cub T single shot. It is a hoot n a half. Yes, they are really quiet, too, but not out of revolvers.