Wolff Springs Starting To Piss Me Off!

Info, pictures, advice...
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

My 20 lb should be in early this week. I had the problems you mentioned with the 22 lb. I'll let you know how mine works.
I haven't had the problems you describe with the beaver tail. I'm guessing our hands are just built different? I carry my P64 with one in the tube. I've been practicing cocking the hammer for the 1st shot. For me, that seems to be quicker than racking the slide. I'm like you: I would file the frame only as a last resort. Good luck, trace.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

shinerjohn

you shouldn't have any problems with the 20# spring I have never heard of anybody having problems with it, just make sure you put the small end of the spring on the barrel first

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

will do. Thanks, NORM.
mjbartn

Post by mjbartn »

Trace

I just got a new set of walnut grips from Denis. I ordered the finger groves and thumb rest and had them checkered. I found the grips a little too big for my hands. He has reported some cracking; in response I suspect he beefed up the grips.

I removed some wood to form a channel for my index finger and some wood over the thumb rest. I also flattened the thumb rest a bit. Fits much better now. The recoil seems to be tamed. I suspect it is the wider backstrap that spreads the recoil impact over a larger area. I did replace my recoil and hammer springs with the heaviest recoil and lightest hammer spring Wolff offers. The SA is pretty light. DA still a bear.
trace

Post by trace »

Thanks mjbartn. I think your right. One of the members offered to let me try a pair of wooden grips. I do like the ones Denis has on the site. I like working on this p-64 but think of it so far as a back up. I just picked up a Baretta PX4 Storm 9mm and like my other polys they are so spoiling to shoot. I can take 100 rounds with the p-64 as is and I like the point and hit accuracy and size of it but 18 rounds a stick is sure more fun at the range. I picked up a Mac police holster for it on eBay a couple of weeks ago for 13.00. Kinda makes me want to get a polish police uniform and wear it. Would that be my birthday suite and a hat and belt? At some point I'll have to break down and pay the 60 or so $$ nd get a Denis.
electross

Post by electross »

I know its a little late to jump in here on this discussion but my experience with both of my P64's is that changing springs was different for each one. One went together ok after changing the recoil spring. The other was impossible and I had to take a little meat off of the tight end of the spring. I did this by using a fine grit sanding paper and a flat block. My hope here was to remove steel equally from the face of the coil. After several trys of sanding and then putting it back together I got just the right amount. Tried moving the other recoil spring that worked to the one that did not work and it did not work either. For me, part of the fun is making them better than they already are. Enjoy, fellows, its a fun hobby. ;)
mjbartn

Post by mjbartn »

Trace,
I paid $50 Paypal for the walnut grips with all the options, came in 3 weeks. From Hungary! Excellent workmanship, perfect fit for the frame, no slop.
Very satisfied.
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

Range report: The 20# recoil spring is perfect! It really softened recoil and the pistol cycles perfectly.
What really continues to impress me is the accuracy. At 15 yards, standing, two-handed grip, no bench rest or other support: 4 of 7 in a 2 1/2" group. Now y'all may not think that's too good, but for me it is amazing! It seems the more I shoot it, the more it compensates for my old eyes and unsteady hands.
I wonder if I paid $320, would I get a pistol twice as good?????
olympus

Post by olympus »

That's pretty dang good accuracy. I haven't been able to get that kind of accuracy out of mine. But mine has only had 100 rounds shot through it all together so I'm hoping that right now it's in the "break in" period and the more I shoot it, the closer the shots will be. That's what I'm hoping anyway. ???
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

mjbartn wrote:Trace,
I paid $50 Paypal for the walnut grips with all the options, came in 3 weeks. From Hungary! Excellent workmanship, perfect fit for the frame, no slop.
Very satisfied.
My teak grips are great too.
Marschal is a great asset to the handgun shooting community.
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

PshootR wrote:My teak grips are great too.
Marschal is a great asset to the handgun shooting community.
Soooo looking forward to getting mine. :D Zebrawood for the CZ-75 B (for open carry), walnut for the P64 (for the 'business' side, CCW).
elguapo346

Post by elguapo346 »

Hello:
While this is my first post, I have been following this Board for a while. All of you are very helpful.

I have a question(s) regarding the spring discussion. Please, can you comment on which spring set it is best to use; Wolff's Walther PPK, or their Polish P-64? I hear mention of both and want to change-out the springs on my P-64, and didn't understand the "controvery." I am leaning towards the 18 lb. hammer spring and heavier recoil spring.

Appreciate your time in commenting,
Mikey
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Mikey

the PPK springs should not be used any more they are not a the right length , they are shorter than the ones for the (P-64 are at the right length ),

by the way

WELCOME

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
elguapo346

Post by elguapo346 »

Norm,

Thanks for the reply.

While not on the subject ( I digress just this once) do you know if it is still possible to locate/purchase the "round hammer" P-64? Or, were those just the ealry version and have now all been sold out with the triangular version the only one being offered?

Again thanks in advance for your comments,
Mieky
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Mieky

not sure were you would get one, I think its the luck of the draw, unless you order a new gun and ask for a round hammered one

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage